Author Topic: Look at Demarcus Cousin's numbers since returning, exactly why he's staying put  (Read 11168 times)

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
As impressive as those numbers are, I won't really be impressed until Cousins can sustain that sort of good production over a full season.

So far, Cousins has never been able to stay consistent. He will follow up a stretch of games like this with a stretch of games where he shoots under 40% from the field with more turnovers than blocks, and the Kings will go 2-8. He has talent, for sure, but he has not shown he can put it together on a night-in, night-out basis yet.

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think he'll still be moved. There are 3 years of bad blood there, and the Kings aren't (I believe) going to want to pay him the money he'll command with the risk that he'll buck again. I think all he's doing is driving up his price tag.

Bad blood is a little strong. He's, what, 22?

As impressive as those numbers are, I won't really be impressed until Cousins can sustain that sort of good production over a full season.

The guy averaged 18-11 last year over a course of a full season. He has definitely shown that he can sustain good production.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here's my theory.  During the suspension, Petrie went to Cousin's agent and said "look, we can't trade him for pennies on the dollar.  We don't want him here anymore than he wants to be here, but we need to save some face (and value).  So, if he really wants out, then he needs to get out there on the floor, keep his head down, and show other teams that he is an elite player that they NEED to have, so we can get a good return for him."

Sacramento will continue to try to build his value until closer to the trade deadline.  They want to get some real value for him. 

I really think if he is coming to the C's, it would be for Rondo, not for some spare parts. 

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think he'll still be moved. There are 3 years of bad blood there, and the Kings aren't (I believe) going to want to pay him the money he'll command with the risk that he'll buck again. I think all he's doing is driving up his price tag.

Bad blood is a little strong. He's, what, 22?

The guy averaged 18-11 last year over a course of a full season. He has definitely shown that he can sustain good production.

Yeah I couldn't agree with you more. What else could you ask for from a 21 year old playing in his second NBA season?

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Here's my theory.  During the suspension, Petrie went to Cousin's agent and said "look, we can't trade him for pennies on the dollar.  We don't want him here anymore than he wants to be here, but we need to save some face (and value).  So, if he really wants out, then he needs to get out there on the floor, keep his head down, and show other teams that he is an elite player that they NEED to have, so we can get a good return for him."

Sacramento will continue to try to build his value until closer to the trade deadline.  They want to get some real value for him. 

I really think if he is coming to the C's, it would be for Rondo, not for some spare parts.

It makes sense, but I gotta think if Rondo is involved Ainge only does it if we get both Cousins and Evans. I still dont make that trade but it has to be the asking price if Rondo's name comes up.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

It makes sense, but I gotta think if Rondo is involved Ainge only does it if we get both Cousins and Evans. I still dont make that trade but it has to be the asking price if Rondo's name comes up.

Oh yeah, I don't think Danny would ever do Cousins for Rondo straight up.  He may not send Rondo in any Cousins deal. 

But my point is, I think that is the type of talent they are going to be looking for in a Cousins deal.

I could also see them target some of the other big names that could be available.  Someone like Gay comes to mind.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I agree and if it is Rondo, I think Boston gets Evans as well.  I still think this trade is good for both teams.

Evans, Cousins, Brooks for Rondo, Melo
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
these numbers mean nothing in terms of being moved or not sorry
Why not?

It increases what the kings will ask for, I'm not seeing how if they wanted to move him a few good games is going to change that?

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Higher production could probably mean a steeper price to acquire him? Unless he does another mishap, I don't think we have enough to give SacTo to get Cousins.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Oh yeah, I don't think Danny would ever do Cousins for Rondo straight up.  He may not send Rondo in any Cousins deal. 

But my point is, I think that is the type of talent they are going to be looking for in a Cousins deal.

I could also see them target some of the other big names that could be available.  Someone like Gay comes to mind.

I agree, but find it harder and harder to imagine the Cs trading Rondo for Cousins, even if Evans, Fredette, whoever came back with him.

As for Gay, I felt David Aldridge made a very good point in his article about salary. The Maloofs are finally achieving strong flexibility in terms of location and financials. Sounds like they have no lease on an arena next year, and they basically have no bad contracts. That's what they care about.

Even for a good player like Gay, i suspect that means they'd balk. Rondo's a different story, but again, I dunno if Danny would go that far. He and Bradley sure seem to like playing together......
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Gay comes to mind and I could see them making a play because of their lack of SF. However like someone pointed out they Kings are looking fairly good financially. Adding a long term contract like Gay wouldnt be very appealing to them I dont think.

Plus it would have to be a three team deal. Im not sure Memphis would have an interest in Cousins with Randolph and Gasol in front of him. Although the do lack a back up Center and that trio in the front court would do some pretty good damage.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I agree, but find it harder and harder to imagine the Cs trading Rondo for Cousins, even if Evans, Fredette, whoever came back with him.

As for Gay, I felt David Aldridge made a very good point in his article about salary. The Maloofs are finally achieving strong flexibility in terms of location and financials. Sounds like they have no lease on an arena next year, and they basically have no bad contracts. That's what they care about.

Even for a good player like Gay, i suspect that means they'd balk. Rondo's a different story, but again, I dunno if Danny would go that far. He and Bradley sure seem to like playing together......

Well, the reason the Maloofs like their financial flexibility is because they can use it to try to build a winning team.

I think they would love to get their hands on a guy like Gay.

And if they can find a way to turn Cousins and Evans and spare parts into Rondo and Gay, they could very well be on their way to rebuilding on the fly, and making a jump like they did years ago when they traded for Chris Webber. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Well, the reason the Maloofs like their financial flexibility is because they can use it to try to build a winning team.

And if they can find a way to turn Cousins and Evans and spare parts into Rondo and Gay, they could very well be on their way to rebuilding on the fly, and making a jump like they did years ago when they traded for Chris Webber.
Not that I think this would happen, but I think it is a reasonable trade for all 3 teams

Boston gets Cousins, Robinson, Brooks for Rondo, Bass, Melo
Memphis gets Bass, Salmons, Evans for Gay
Sacramento gets Gay, Rondo, Melo for Cousins, Robinson, Evans, Brooks, and Salmons

other small pieces like Arthur, Collins, Wilcox, etc. could easily be put into the mix depending on other moves.

The more I think about that trade, the more I like it for all three teams.  It really seems to help all 3, Memphis gets a more manageable contract situation with a lot more depth and a dynamic guard going forward.  Boston beefs up the interior with young talented players.  Sacramento gets two "star" level players to build around going forward to create a new core.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Not that I think this would happen, but I think it is a reasonable trade for all 3 teams

Sacramento gets Gay, Rondo, Melo for Cousins, Robinson, Evans, Brooks, and Salmons

Yeah, I wonder whether they would give up Robinson or not.  I tend to think he might be the one young guy they would keep, because he is the type of player that just needs a guy like Rondo to blossom. 

...he also is the main reason I think they will have little to no interest in Sully. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, I wonder whether they would give up Robinson or not.  I tend to think he might be the one young guy they would keep, because he is the type of player that just needs a guy like Rondo to blossom. 

...he also is the main reason I think they will have little to no interest in Sully.
I actually had the original trade sending Sully to Sacramento instead of Melo, but then thought Boston was giving up enough value as was and swapped Melo in for Sully and frankly I really don't know who I would value more long term (Sully or Robinson).  I mean they were pretty similar players in college with Sully falling so much in the draft more for injury concerns than anything else.

And of course they are getting Rondo and Gay so I think they probably have to give up Robinson along with Evans and Cousins.  I really think that is a win win win type trade for all three teams.