Author Topic: How will swirling trade rumors affect team performance?  (Read 7450 times)

How will swirling trade rumors affect team performance?
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Last year, when trade rumors were rife before the deadline, this team was in a bit of a funk. Only after the deadline passed did we really play consistently well.

Hopefully the same dosn't occur this year, especially with our turnaround in the last two games and our major competitor along with the cHeat, the Knicks, on tap for tomorrow.

If a major trade is to happen, hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. Bass and Green can not be dealt till next Tuesday at the earliest.

How does this Sword of Damacles impact the team's performance?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:29:31 PM by csfansince60s »

Re: How will swirling trade rumors affect team performance?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:52:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't like it.  I think it's bound to affect guys.  I completely agree that if something is going to happen, sooner rather than later is better for team psyche. 

I don't think anyone wants this stuff lingering.  All teams go through it, I guess.  It's just an unfortunate part of this time of year as an NBA player (and--depending on your perspective--an NBA fan).
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:52:36 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've never been a fan of the ability to do in-season trades. I mean, you're playing hard for a team, doing your best to pave the way towards a championship, and you get traded?

In my opinion all transactions should occur during the off season, and hope for the best.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:38 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I've never been a fan of the ability to do in-season trades. I mean, you're playing hard for a team, doing your best to pave the way towards a championship, and you get traded?

In my opinion all transactions should occur during the off season, and hope for the best.

This.  I wrote about this in another thread.  How often to in-season trades work, in terms of taking a team and driving them to an EC/WC Finals or further?

Can we at least play ONE MONTH of games with this squad before we think about a trade?

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

This.  I wrote about this in another thread.  How often to in-season trades work, in terms of taking a team and driving them to an EC/WC Finals or further?

Can we at least play ONE MONTH of games with this squad before we think about a trade?

I'm with you guys on this.  Hate in-season trades. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I do not if they improve the team...

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You would have to think it effects guys but at the same time its a business and they should know that that is part of the job. You'd be fooling yourself if you played any NBA time without thinking there is a possibility of a trade.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I do not if they improve the team...

I"m all for improving the team.  I'd just rather that were all done in the off-season.  When the season rolls around, I think it'd be cool if you were the team you were, and you went out and played as that team. 

It's not so much for the players' sake.  It's for our sake, as the fans.  I feel like it diminishes the experience of rooting for your team and watching them try to develop for the first half of the season when your not even sure this is the team you'll be watching for the second half of the season.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Well let’s start with the easiest ones:

Rasheed Wallace traded to the Pistons in 2004 helped them win the Finals.
Pau Gasol traded to the Lakers in 2008 helped them reach the Finals
Dikembe Mutombo traded the Sixers in 2001 helped them reach the Finals.
Clyde Drexler traded to the Rockets in 1995 helped them win the Finals.
Rafer Alston traded to the Magic in 2009 helped them reach the Finals.  (Less obvious, but pretty major since the Magivc’s All-Star point guard Jameer Nelson went down with a likely season ending injury midyear).

The more subtle ones.
2009 Champion Lakers traded starting SF Vladimir Radmanovic mid season for Shannon Brown and Adam Morrison
2005 Champion Spurs traded Malik Rose for Nazr Mohammed mid season
(maybe these trades didn’t affect the teams one way or another, but a championship team traded a key rotation guy for another key rotation guy mid season and were still able to win it all).
2002 Boston Celtics don’t reach the ECF without Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk (though let’s not discuss what other effects that trade had  :-[).

Now not Finals or Conference Finals, but:
Kings don’t make the playoffs without trading for Ron Artest mid season in 2006.  Went from 18-24 to 26-14 after the trade.
Suns don’t make the playoffs without trading for Jason Kidd mid season in 1997.  Went from 8-19 to 32-23 after the trade,
Warriors don’t knock out the 67 win Mavs without trading for Stephen Jackson mid season in 2007. 
Celtics don't make the playoffs without trading for Antoine Walker mid season in 2005.  They were 18-22 before the trade and 27-15 afterwards.  (Should have gone at least ECF in my opinion).

To me, this shows plenty of examples of mid season trades helping teams.  This is the NBA, this is a grown man’s league.  You’re not playing bad because you think you might be traded, but you might be traded because you’re playing bad (which then might cause you continue to play bad).  Show me somebody who’s consistently been playing great on a team that’s consistently winning that’s in trade talks?

So if trade talks disrupt this team, well what the heck has been disrupting the team for the first 2 ½ months of the season?  Can’t put the blame on trades.  (except in 2011, totally trades fault  ;)).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:05:18 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Don't care. Millionare athletes who can't take the nature of the beast will get no sympathy for me. Trade rumours and trades are part of the NBA. Suck it up and play already.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Don't care. Millionare athletes who can't take the nature of the beast will get no sympathy for me. Trade rumours and trades are part of the NBA. Suck it up and play already.

It's not as much for the players' sake as it is for my own sake as a fan.  It's not that I'm losing sleep over their woeful plight, it's more that if it affects their play on the court or their chemistry or unity as a team, then it affects my enjoyment of watching them play.  I don't like that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

It's not as much for the players' sake as it is for my own sake as a fan.  It's not that I'm losing sleep over their woeful plight, it's more that if it affects their play on the court or their chemistry or unity as a team, then it affects my enjoyment of watching them play.  I don't like that.

Trades during the season is a good thing.  In the NBA, it can change the landscape and the story going into the playoffs.

And of course I do enjoy the good rumors (not yesterdays load of )

As for performance, if a NBA vet is not used to the rumors by now, then he might just be to thin skinned for the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Trades during the season is a good thing.  In the NBA, it can change the landscape and the story going into the playoffs.

And of course I do enjoy the good rumors (not yesterdays load of )

As for performance, if a NBA vet is not used to the rumors by now, then he might just be to thin skinned for the NBA.

I generally just never feel the need for the story to change drastically mid-stream.  To each his own on this one, I guess. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'm not sure I really understand the question. Has any individual Celtics player been reported as a target in the press, or even as "being discussed" by the Cs and another team?

I can't think of one. No, "Rondo for Chris Paul", etc. 

Maybe if we float a fake Jeff Green rumor, he'll play better, because it sure doesn't appear he feels like playing in Boston all that much.

Somewhere sunny. Like, "Sources indicate the Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics are in serious discussions to exchange Michael Beasley for Jeff Green". Who has a friend in the press? Make a call and pretend to be Ryan McDonagh's assistant or something....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I'm not sure I really understand the question. Has any individual Celtics player been reported as a target in the press, or even as "being discussed" by the Cs and another team?

I can't think of one. No, "Rondo for Chris Paul", etc. 

Maybe if we float a fake Jeff Green rumor, he'll play better, because it sure doesn't appear he feels like playing in Boston all that much.

Somewhere sunny. Like, "Sources indicate the Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics are in serious discussions to exchange Michael Beasley for Jeff Green". Who has a friend in the press? Make a call and pretend to be Ryan McDonagh's assistant or something....

Bass, Lee, Sully, Bradley, Green, and Terry are the names I've read mentioned most in recent rumors. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: