Author Topic: How will swirling trade rumors affect team performance?  (Read 7451 times)

Re: How will swirling trade rumors affect team performance?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'm not sure I really understand the question. Has any individual Celtics player been reported as a target in the press, or even as "being discussed" by the Cs and another team?

I can't think of one. No, "Rondo for Chris Paul", etc. 

Maybe if we float a fake Jeff Green rumor, he'll play better, because it sure doesn't appear he feels like playing in Boston all that much.

Somewhere sunny. Like, "Sources indicate the Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics are in serious discussions to exchange Michael Beasley for Jeff Green". Who has a friend in the press? Make a call and pretend to be Ryan McDonagh's assistant or something....

Bass, Lee, Sully, Bradley, Green, and Terry are the names I've read mentioned most in recent rumors.

What rumors? Define rumor? I don't count beat writers and pseudo-insiders suggesting there could be 'a fit' as a rumor -- that's just speculation to fill a page so they can sell adds against it.

When someone reports that the Wolves are talking directly to Lakers about Gasol, or to the Cavs about Sideshow Bob, that qualifies.

Example of what doesn't below:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-celtics-making-a-blockbuster-trade/

Even more annoying are 'rumors' that involve nothing, like Sherrod's idiocy yesterday -- a 'blockbuster' including the involvement of no team and no player.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
hopefully it gives them a kick in the rear , wake up and play ball if you don't want to be traded for starts.

If you want to get traded , just play like it.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not sure I really understand the question. Has any individual Celtics player been reported as a target in the press, or even as "being discussed" by the Cs and another team?

Maybe if we float a fake Jeff Green rumor, he'll play better, because it sure doesn't appear he feels like playing in Boston all that much.

Somewhere sunny. Like, "Sources indicate the Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics are in serious discussions to exchange Michael Beasley for Jeff Green". Who has a friend in the press? Make a call and pretend to be Ryan McDonagh's assistant or something....

Bass, Lee, Sully, Bradley, Green, and Terry are the names I've read mentioned most in recent rumors.

What rumors? Define rumor? I don't count beat writers and pseudo-insiders suggesting there could be 'a fit' as a rumor -- that's just speculation to fill a page so they can sell adds against it.

When someone reports that the Wolves are talking directly to Lakers about Gasol, or to the Cavs about Sideshow Bob, that qualifies.

Even more annoying are 'rumors' that involve nothing, like Sherrod's idiocy yesterday -- a 'blockbuster' including the involvement of no team and no player.

I've always thought of the word "rumor" meaning something along the lines of unconfirmed hearsay.  That's exactly the kinds of reports I've been reading.  I agree that most of them may well be nothing more than speculation, but that doesn't mean that the players don't catch wind of them, and start to wonder about their future with the organization.

And, it doesn't mean that I wouldn't classify them as "rumors."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I've always thought of the word "rumor" meaning something along the lines of unconfirmed hearsay.  That's exactly the kinds of reports I've been reading.  I agree that most of them may well be nothing more than speculation, but that doesn't mean that the players don't catch wind of them, and start to wonder about their future with the organization.

Unless a guy hears a specific rumor, or that he's specifically being shopped, I can't see nebulous stories about salaries and team needs really affecting the players.

The only one I can think of was Marc Stein reporting that on Dec 15th, Courtney Lee was a popular name due to his deal becoming tradable. Maybe that'd enough to get his attention, but I for one don't believe the Cs want to trade him at all -- they'd much rather trade Bass.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Unless a guy hears a specific rumor, or that he's specifically being shopped, I can't see nebulous stories about salaries and team needs really affecting the players.

The only one I can think of was Marc Stein reporting that on Dec 15th, Courtney Lee was a popular name due to his deal becoming tradable. Maybe that'd enough to get his attention, but I for one don't believe the Cs want to trade him at all -- they'd much rather trade Bass.

I hope you're right, and that the players aren't affected at all by trade rumors. 

I know that I'm affected by the rumors.  I can't wait for the trade deadline to pass, and, of course, I have much less at stake than the players. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I hope you're right, and that the players aren't affected at all by trade rumors. 

I know that I'm affected by the rumors.  I can't wait for the trade deadline to pass, and, of course, I have much less at stake than the players.

Keep in mind this feels like a black box as a fan, but the team presumably talks to the players and their agents.

Take Lee as an example: in all likelihood Danny and / or Doc has said to the lad: 'Just keep working hard, getting used to the system, etc. We worked very hard to sign you for a reason.'

Now, with Ray, that wore thin because he got word of specific deals proposed / agreed / etc that flew in the face of the Cs desire to have him around. But individual to individual, rumors have been very tame on this team so far this year, though that will get worse for a couple of guys over the next month presumably. But Lee has been playing better, not worse.

Per my previous joke, the guy who might be feeling what's in the press the most is Green -- his contract has been unilaterally panned, and local press keep trying to prop the guy up when he plays even passably in a single game. But trade rumors? No -- because no one would trade for him outside of taking a chance on him in a very large deal including better players.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Keep in mind this feels like a black box as a fan, but the team presumably talks to the players and their agents.

Take Lee as an example: in all likelihood Danny and / or Doc has said to the lad: 'Just keep working hard, getting used to the system, etc. We worked very hard to sign you for a reason.'

Now, with Ray, that wore thin because he got word of specific deals proposed / agreed / etc that flew in the face of the Cs desire to have him around. But individual to individual, rumors have been very tame on this team so far this year, though that will get worse for a couple of guys over the next month presumably. But Lee has been playing better, not worse.

Per my previous joke, the guy who might be feeling what's in the press the most is Green -- his contract has been unilaterally panned, and local press keep trying to prop the guy up when he plays even passably in a single game. But trade rumors? No -- because no one would trade for him outside of taking a chance on him in a very large deal including better players.

I don't believe there's any way that Danny sits down with every player to discuss what conversations he's having with GMs around the league about said player.  I also don't think he goes around making assurances that they won't be going anywhere. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I don't believe there's any way that Danny sits down with every player to discuss what conversations he's having with GMs around the league about said player.  I also don't think he goes around making assurances that they won't be going anywhere.

Danny doesn't have weekly sit downs with players to tell them they won't be traded. Danny does talk to players and their agents.

My point: transactions don't happen whimsically on a website like a fantasy team. Players have a better understanding of where they stand, the organization's satisfaction with their play, etc than bloggers can know. It's not all just what they read in the papers (like it is for us).....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Ray Allen's not on the team anymore, and none of the trade rumors so far have had much in the way of legs.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say it won't affect them much at all.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
hopefully it gives them a kick in the rear , wake up and play ball if you don't want to be traded for starts.

If you want to get traded , just play like it.

Not what I expected when I made the OP. I thought that they would be in a funk like last year and not respond like they have the last 3 games.

TP, SHAQATTACK, they must've listened to you. Looks like no one wants to be traded by the way they are playing.

Let's hope that this continues. Not only does it give us better chances to win games, but it increases the trade value of our players if Ainge wants to make a move.