Author Topic: Kris Joseph/Varnado waived? What's next?  (Read 21170 times)

Re: Kris Joseph/Varnado waived? What's next?
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
If we can get someone without losing Bradley and/or Sully I'd be fine with it.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
From @SherrodbCSN : "league sources confirmed that there's "growing" interest in Courtney Lee"

Lee and Sully for Gortat?
Its a silly question don't know all about trades/salary and all that but is there a certain date trades have to be made or can they happen anytime?

You can trade players anytime before the deadline Feb 21st. You can't sign a player and trade him right off that's why we can't trade Bass or Green until the 15th.

I think...
ok thanks yea remember that dreaded deadline for players but didn't know they could happen already
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Forsberg:

By our rough per-game calculation, the Celtics save about $275,000 by cutting Joseph after 33 games. That's right around what a late-season, veteran-minimum addition would cost. Considering the Celtics are hard-capped at the $74.3 million tax apron -- and roughly $71.2 million is committed to current costs -- every available dollar gives the Celtics that little bit extra wiggle room to maneuver later in the season.

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kenyon Martin + Chris Andersen + Donte Greene

That is my wishlist.

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Kenyon Martin + Chris Andersen + Donte Greene

That is my wishlist.
I wouldnt care if we stood pat and got K Mart and somebody else maybe Nate if Bulls cut him ?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2013, 11:19:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Sam Young got waived by Indiana. He is a solid 2/3 off the bench.

Best player who has been cut so far. Legit NBA player.

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

A poor man's Tony Allen, yes? Big enough to guard 3's?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

A poor man's Tony Allen, yes? Big enough to guard 3's?
a big body to throw at LeBron in stretches if we ship Green out?

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2013, 11:36:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Sam Young is a big two who can muscle big two guards like Kobe Bryant. That is his main value as an NBA player. His ability to matchup physically against big two guards. A good defender/rebounder but not an elite one.

Against small forwards with legitimate size and talent, Sam Young is undersized (6-6, 220lbs) and is a poor defender / rebounder. And he isn't good enough offensively to make up for it. Too limited. Against less offensively capable small forwards, Young can be a passable option at SF. So not really an option to throw against somebody like LeBron.

Offensively, Young has a decent two point jump shot but lacks further range. That is the main drawback in his game. He can finish reasonably around the rim and he can post up against smaller players.

I consider Sam Young a middle of the pack to slightly below average backup two guard. Or a well below average backup SF. An excellent third string 2/3 which is probably the role he'll see most often due to his limitations as jump-shooter but in the right situation he can play more minutes. A big physical two guard who can play a small bit of time at small forward also.

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Sam Young is a big two who can muscle big two guards like Kobe Bryant. That is his main value as an NBA player. His ability to matchup physically against big two guards. A good defender/rebounder but not an elite one.

Against small forwards with legitimate size and talent, Sam Young is undersized (6-6, 220lbs) and is a poor defender / rebounder. And he isn't good enough offensively to make up for it. Too limited. Against less offensively capable small forwards, Young can be a passable option at SF. So not really an option to throw against somebody like LeBron.

Offensively, Young has a decent two point jump shot but lacks further range. That is the main drawback in his game. He can finish reasonably around the rim and he can post up against smaller players.

I consider Sam Young a middle of the pack to slightly below average backup two guard. Or a well below average backup SF. An excellent third string 2/3 which is probably the role he'll see most often due to his limitations as jump-shooter but in the right situation he can play more minutes. A big physical two guard who can play a small bit of time at small forward also.

He sounds like a more experienced Dionte Christmas.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2013, 11:43:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I would prefer Donte Greene to Sam Young.

I think the team needs a small forward with good size behind Pierce and J.Green. They have an excellent first line (Pierce at SF, J.Green at PF) against small-ball lineups but they have no substitutes behind them to give them a breather now and then.

Their options at PF are too slow (Sully) or dumb (Bass) to defend those lineups well. They need someone who can give a different option to Pierce + J.Green when they need a rest, or are injured, or struggling with foul trouble. Whether that is a more athletic PF with good defensive range or a third string SF with good size. It would be good to have. Gives some insurance against an injury to J.Green also without forcing Doc to play three guard lineups.

I think Donte Greene provides a superior option matchup wise with his size (6-11, 230lbs) and athleticism in these type of scenarios. Donte Greene is also a legitimate albeit streaky threat from three point range.

I'd really like to see Danny sign Donte Greene. Shore up that third string SF/PF spot. 

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I think the team needs a small forward with good size behind Pierce and J.Green. They have an excellent first line (Pierce at SF, J.Green at PF) against small-ball lineups but they have no substitutes behind them to give them a breather now and then.

Their options at PF are too slow (Sully) or dumb (Bass) to defend those lineups well. They need someone who can give a different option to Pierce + J.Green when they need a rest, or are injured, or struggling with foul trouble. Whether that is a more athletic PF with good defensive range or a third string SF with good size. It would be good to have. Gives some insurance against an injury to J.Green also without forcing Doc to play three guard lineups.

I think Donte Greene provides a superior option matchup wise with his size (6-11, 230lbs) and athleticism in these type of scenarios. Donte Greene is also a legitimate albeit streaky threat from three point range.

I'd really like to see Danny sign Donte Greene. Shore up that third string SF/PF spot.
He was on the Kings right, he isnt signed by anyone? I remember him being pretty solid

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2013, 11:54:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

He was on the Kings right, he isnt signed by anyone? I remember him being pretty solid
Yeah, that's the guy. Solid defender, streaky shooter.

Kings coaching staff mishandled him very badly. Talented player who's slipped between the cracks.

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:46 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
boo on joseph.  we may regret that

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Found this on Donte Greene, posted a couple weeks ago:

- I spotted former Orange forward Donte Greene working out in the weight room during practice. Greene played with the NBA’s Sacramento Kings last season, and was reported to be close to signing with the Brooklyn Nets this fall when he broke his foot and required surgery.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/12/13/3763424/the-view-from-courtside-we-talkin-bout-syracuse-orange-practice
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague