Poll

How cae best help Green live up to his potential?

Send him to the Cs WNBA-affiliate team to encourage toughness
Sign him up for a local prison league to encourage toughness
Teach him to stand up when he pees
Have him watch old videos of Perk playing with aggression and hate
Find a GM dumb enough to take him

Author Topic: Best way to foster Green's growth?  (Read 11509 times)

Re: Best way to foster Green's growth?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
There's only so much the team can do for Jeff - sure, we can put him certain lineups, or run more plays for him. But at the end of the day, Jeff has to "put his big boy pants on" and make the decision and effort to be more aggressive & consistent. He has to stop waiting for permission and go get it. The concerning part is, after what he went through last year,  if that hasn't changed his mindset then I have a really hard time seeing what will.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Oh, and as far as sending Jeff to a WNBA affiliate - I'd happily trade him for Candace Parker or Angel McCoughtry.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
There's only so much the team can do for Jeff - sure, we can put him certain lineups, or run more plays for him. But at the end of the day, Jeff has to "put his big boy pants on" and make the decision and effort to be more aggressive & consistent. He has to stop waiting for permission and go get it. The concerning part is, after what he went through last year,  if that hasn't changed his mindset then I have a really hard time seeing what will.

Bingo.  I hope he gets traded though.   I'm sick of coddling him.  At this rate I woulda rather had pietrus

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 02:24:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, for those who want to get rid of Jeff Green - pls tell me who BOS will throw at LeBron James when that time comes?

And that time will come, trust me.

If the plan is to ship him out of town, I'd hope that we get back some useful body that can at least trip up LeBron James, if needed.

I know that LeBron is just about an unstoppable force right now, but still....at least Jeff Green has the athletiscism to keep up with him.

Our path back to the NBA Finals will undoubtedly go through MIA...we'd better be ready. Being ready is not having Paul Pierce unprotected in a seven game series with LeBron James.

Imagine if we would've had Jeff Green - as many of us were saying - last May/June. Could've been a different outcome.

Please consider carefully the ramifications of getting rid of Jeff Green.

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
He's been as expected these first 30 or so games back - ups, downs, etc. 

I agree that the Pierce/Green wing combination has some very serious potential long-term (could help extend the old man's career not having to guard the most athletic wing) - but Doc's in a bind here.  Bradley's back, which means he now has 5 serviceable guards to rotate (and, potentially, showcase these next few weeks) - not a lot of room for that Pierce/Green combo. 

And, Bass clearly is a different player, confidence-wise, when he gets to call himself a starter, and Sullinger is stepping forward as a solid rotation-player - probably only spot minutes for Green at the 4 until the roster logjam is settled a little bit.

Right now, and for a few more weeks, I think he's just the backup 3 almost all of the time, and he'll have several more games like these last few (not counting garbage time) - a few shots, a few points, a board or a block.  It'll be high times for folks angry about his contract for awhile.

On the other hand, maybe Danny and Doc are trying to bury him while they showcase some other folks - as fun as it was to beat up on the hawks last night (and it was incredibly fun), even 38-44 win, out in the first round teams have a handful of stirring wins that make us fans go mooneyed.  These guys are still first or second round playoff bait right now without upgrades and a shorter rotation.

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Well, for those who want to get rid of Jeff Green - pls tell me who BOS will throw at LeBron James when that time comes?

And that time will come, trust me.

If the plan is to ship him out of town, I'd hope that we get back some useful body that can at least trip up LeBron James, if needed.

I know that LeBron is just about an unstoppable force right now, but still....at least Jeff Green has the athletiscism to keep up with him.

Our path back to the NBA Finals will undoubtedly go through MIA...we'd better be ready. Being ready is not having Paul Pierce unprotected in a seven game series with LeBron James.

Imagine if we would've had Jeff Green - as many of us were saying - last May/June. Could've been a different outcome.

Please consider carefully the ramifications of getting rid of Jeff Green.

When people say this it makes me wonder if they really watch basketball.

WE DO NOT HAVE TO CONTAIN LEBROID!!!! We have to contain EVERYONE else on that team! Do you know why Lebroid never won a chip before last season? Because everyone else not named Lebron was contained... LeBron played great in the playoffs yet his teams kept losing, only after going to a team with people who could (on any given night) be as dominate as he could, did he win. Yes, he had good teams but he needed a guy(s) that could be just as good when it mattered most as he could (I'm not saying they are as good as him, wade and bosh, but they both have the ability to go to another level... especially Wade). If you watch the game when Lebroid was literally killing us out there (45pt game 6), we were still right there with a chance to win it... it wasn't until the other players stepped up that we got our butts handed to us! There is always one player on a team that you just aren't going to stop no matter how well you play (Lebroid/Wade, Melo, CP3, etc.)... stopping/containing the other players is key to victory! Yes, we want to make Lebroids job harder but containing him is not the prime objective to beating his team.

We didn't get Green for the purpose of stopping guys like LeBroid, Green is there so there won't be a HUGE drop-off in play when PP is trying to rest... Green, however, is just not doing a good job on most nights to warrant more minutes (to take pressure off PP). If we wanted someone to just worry about defending these top guys then we could have paid Pietrus pennies on the dollar instead (to defend better than Green)! We need offense from Green, we need him to make his guy work on defense... we need rebounding... WE NEED EFFORT!! Doc has said that when Green has good games, it's not b/c they call plays for him but it's b/c Green just became aggressive! In fact, Doc said that the times Green scores are when Doc doesn't call plays for him (I remember that comment from the OKC game). If only Green had the energy/aggressiveness of guys like Hansbrough, Sully, AB... he wouldn't have to worry about being a good player b/c when you out effort everyone else like those guys do, good things happen! AB is barely hitting any shots his first 3 games back but he is out there giving max effort, which helps energize everyone else, which in turn makes our entire team better... it's a simple as that... EFFORT! Maybe Green just doesn't have the motor? I see him trying but that extra gear that the better players have, he just has every now and then (even then it's not for an entire game for him... look at his best games, he would take entire quarters and seem invisible out there... even in the OKC game). Green needs to go out there and grab rebounds, get some assists, steals, and play solid defense (his d has been better of late but still nothing to write home about)! If your offense isn't clicking (even though we need that from Green), he HAS to do the other things better. He needs to be tougher, it's as simple as that!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
its not that green will stop lebron, its that he will guard lebron allowing Pierce to not have to spend so much energy on defense.

plus, if you want to match up with their small-ball unit..Green provides more scoring/versatility than someone like...Pietrus.

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
ImShakHeIsShaq - Strike TWO, for you.

You disrespected me a few weeks ago in a different thread - I ignored it the best I could, and answered YOU in a way that wasn't disrespectful.

Please don't forget that it was "I" who came to your rescue when you were getting tossed under the bus for saying disrespectful things about the Celtics when you were on the Cavs blog....

Remember that Game Thread Incident?

I watch basketball just about as much as many of us here...I get different perspectives on Basketball - just like YOU and EVERYONE else, here.

Please don't disrespect me.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:41:39 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
How about scaling back Green's minutes and playing the guys who put out maximum effort? This team has shown a very gritty, tough, defensive-minded mindset the past two games.  And who was the only player who wasn't part of it?  Jeff Green.

I'd rather play a small second unit with Lee as a point forward along with Terry and Bradley when Rondo is sitting. Let green play one six minute stint in the first half.  If he isn't giving it maximum effort and playing gritty ball, keep him on the bench the second half   

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
How about scaling back Green's minutes and playing the guys who put out maximum effort? This team has shown a very gritty, tough, defensive-minded mindset the past two games.  And who was the only player who wasn't part of it?  Jeff Green.

I'd rather play a small second unit with Lee as a point forward along with Terry and Bradley when Rondo is sitting. Let green play one six minute stint in the first half.  If he isn't giving it maximum effort and playing gritty ball, keep him on the bench the second half   

I don't know about Lee as a point forward.  I don't know if Doc will play Terry, Bradley and Lee at the same time either.  When Lee's out there with Pierce and Terry and Garnett, there doesn't have to be a designated "point" per se.  Lee gets to bring the ball up from time to time but the main decisionmakers are going to be Pierce, Terry and Garnett, as it should be because they're all better passers and/or ballhandlers.

Also, Green sat out an entire third quarter for the first time Saturday.  Part of that was Pierce being hot but after he sat down after the end of the third, Green still wasn't out there for the start of the fourth.  He got in after a quick early whistle.  Maybe Doc is going to start taking a harder line with him.  Maybe not with the Knicks game though because the Celtics have nobody to match up size-wise with Carmelo after Pierce.

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 01:55:58 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Free him up trade him im pretty sure he will flourish, he just doesn't fit doc's system.

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 03:27:34 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Trade him, preferably in a package for a cousins/smith/gay type or picks/players with star potential.
But with that contract, I'd be happy for a starting caliber/first off of bench  C and a decent 10 mpg backup PG

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 04:07:20 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
ImShakHeIsShaq - Strike TWO, for you.

You disrespected me a few weeks ago in a different thread - I ignored it the best I could, and answered YOU in a way that wasn't disrespectful.

Please don't forget that it was "I" who came to your rescue when you were getting tossed under the bus for saying disrespectful things about the Celtics when you were on the Cavs blog....

Remember that Game Thread Incident?

I watch basketball just about as much as many of us here...I get different perspectives on Basketball - just like YOU and EVERYONE else, here.

Please don't disrespect me.

I don't care about being defended, I don't need it...when I give my opinion I don't care who likes/doesn't like it! I'm not baiting you so that means our convo ends here. It could be strike 5 and I wouldn't care. I'm going to stop there b/c I don't want to be banned but thank you and good luck!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)