Author Topic: Rockets Suspend Royce White  (Read 13500 times)

Re: Rockets Suspend Royce White
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 03:43:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't understand this at all. ROyce White is becoming pathetic. I feel sorry for his illness, but it seems like he's not doing anything at all to make progress.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I were the Rockets I'd just suit him up and put him in a game. Winning solves problems. Let him experience happiness again. Cause this is going nowhere good. They'd risk alienating guys like Demo but those guys are under contract too.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If I were the Rockets I'd just suit him up and put him in a game. Winning solves problems. Let him experience happiness again. Cause this is going nowhere good. They'd risk alienating guys like Demo but those guys are under contract too.
Because that's exactly the message you want to send: being a nuisance an disruption will land you in the game lineup. Really.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Because that's exactly the message you want to send: being a nuisance an disruption will land you in the game lineup. Really.
I'd just rather do that then lose a 16th pick.  Royce needs to see what's at stake

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd just rather do that then lose a 16th pick.  Royce needs to see what's at stake
If he doesn't realize what's at stake, it's already lost. They rolled the dice, it didn't work. Move on, I guess.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can we please refrain from calling people with a mental illness crazy? The term is demeaning and insulting.

He has an anxiety issue. Whether he is acting in his best interests and Houston is pushing him to make unhealthy decisions or whether he is using his illness as a crutch to get traded somewhere he can get playing time or get released so he can go play for the team of his choice, is debatable.

But calling him crazy because he suffers from an illness is wrong. He might be manipulative, lazy, uninspired, unmotivated, disappointed in his employment situation or completely correct in fighting for his rights as his employer is expecting him to do things that are bad for his mental health. He could be any of those things.

So let's discuss that instead of just labeling him with a word that is a bit insulting to those with mental illness.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Can we please refrain from calling people with a mental illness crazy? The term is demeaning and insulting.

He has an anxiety issue. Whether he is acting in his best interests and Houston is pushing him to make unhealthy decisions or whether he is using his illness as a crutch to get traded somewhere he can get playing time or get released so he can go play for the team of his choice, is debatable.

But calling him crazy because he suffers from an illness is wrong. He might be manipulative, lazy, uninspired, unmotivated, disappointed in his employment situation or completely correct in fighting for his rights as his employer is expecting him to do things that are bad for his mental health. He could be any of those things.

So let's discuss that instead of just labeling him with a word that is a bit insulting to those with mental illness.
Does this mean we can't like the Gnarles Barkley song anymore?

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Absolutely not cause that song rocks.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I don't understand this at all. ROyce White is becoming pathetic. I feel sorry for his illness, but it seems like he's not doing anything at all to make progress.

What 'seems' and what 'is' is often 2 different things. I understand that on its surface this appears to be a young man who is deciding not to comply. But that doesn't speak to what efforts he may be making or how different his challenge is compared to other young players.

It is probable that we don't know much about what is going on with Royce White.  Conclusions based on minimal info is the lifeblood of talk-shows and blogs. Of course, sometimes conclusions drawn from minimal info are correct, but I think we should acknowledge at various points that we don't really know very much about this person. 

Unusual behavior isn't always as simple as it seems. If White's issues stem from faulty (or obsessive) thinking and subsequent emotional issues that stem from mental illness, we may not want him on our team, but we may have greater understanding of why he behaves the way he does.   

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Absolutely not cause that song rocks.
Oh good, because if you said we couldn't like it I'd have said that I think you're crazy.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would like to see this addendum , he has been trying to add to his original contract. IF rumors are true

1. If he needs the Rockets to sign this addendum (mainly regarding promise for him to take the bus as much as possible, plus having the right to see doctors of his choice for treatment purposes) but the Rockets won't sign, then i question why the Rockets won't make their promise(s) to him official and ease his mind, so that he can focus on basketball.

2. If the Rockets can't sign because it violates the CBA, then it involves the NBA/Union. He is asking for rights to ease his mental health condition, but the league can't give it to him the way he needs it to happen. So i can understand where he is coming from, that his rights and other players who have mental issues can't comfortable have ways to be it managed/treated. He doesn't care about rules/agreements vs putting basic "rights" first.

3. This "right(s)" he is talking about, doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If he wants to deal with riding the bus as much as he can, but still plays hard and well, then whats the problem? If he wants to see the doctor of his choice because of a certain comfort/relationship that he has with them, then whats the problem??

4. The league already having a CBA in place , and nightmare memories to iron out a deal last season, probably does not want to meet the union anytime soon to try to include an exception clause for players like Royce White. Maybe they don't want players to use doctors outside of the nba because they are not sure how certified or personal relationships that they have with the players that could result in in bias diagnosis and preferable treatments. Also if Royce fights and wins to have a special clause added to the cba, then how do you determine what becomes a special need vs not?? How many current players will come out and ask for special exceptions themselves??

Bottom line is, i think there is much more to this problem that meets the eye. Right now Royce White is enemy #1. I thought he was also, until i read about him just wanting an addendum needed signed before he does anything further. He wants the Rockets to fight for him also, but doesn't feel they are doing enough. I think if Royce white eventually gets indefinitely suspended or booted from his contract , than he will not go away quietly and take the nba/rockets to the court.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

Dude chill.

I didn't call him crazy to insult his mental illness. I called him crazy because the of the way he approaches and handles issues.. He is single handily deterring other nba teams from drafting players with mental health issues. I'd call anyone showing this type of unprofessionalism "crazy". Especially when they are inked to a multi-million dollar contract. Publicly disrespecting your employer who writes your 5-6 figure checks, now that's crazy. Anyone who does that is crazy.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
a couple of things here froma legal perspective.

There is a contract in place so Rockets do not have to sign an addendum. The parties rights will have to be determined by the contract in place. The Rockets do not have to modify the existing contract. If White's agent and lawyers did not get provisions in the contract to protect their client, that is on them.

Regardless of contractual terms, the Rockets will still have to abide by the ADA, therefore if the requested accomodations are reasonable, they deny these accomodations at their peril.

By keeping quiet the Rockets are doing the right thing because

1. They cannot discuss the employees health issues in public without his permission, especially so with mental health issues.

2. If he sues the Rockets and wins he probably only gets the value of his present contract, but if he is able to prove that the Rockets turned other teams against him, he may be able to get future loss of earning which may be enormous.

Rockets are doing the right thing for a very delicate situation.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Dude chill.

I didn't call him crazy to insult his mental illness. I called him crazy because the of the way he approaches and handles issues.. He is single handily deterring other nba teams from drafting players with mental health issues. I'd call anyone showing this type of unprofessionalism "crazy". Especially when they are inked to a multi-million dollar contract. Publicly disrespecting your employer who writes your 5-6 figure checks, now that's crazy. Anyone who does that is crazy.

You have to understand its not as simple as disrespecting your employer and crying, while losing millions.

He has an illness and anxiety. There is probably a higher level of assurance that he needs vs someone who doesn't have a condition.

Again, the addendum, what is it about? If its as easy as, i want to travel on the bus as much as possible and see my own doctor for treatments, than why doesn't the rockets just sign the document?? If it violates the CBA , will the nba/union do something about it?? 

Personally i don't think Royce White is crazy/dumb. If he doesn't play he will be working at a min wage job and kicking himself in the head for the rest of his life right?? There is no way he is going to do that. Human beings have a natural instinct to survive. If Whites contract gets nullified , he may lose 3 to 5 million dollars, but when he sues the nba/courts for tens of millions more, he maybe be the last one laughing.

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
a couple of things here froma legal perspective.

There is a contract in place so Rockets do not have to sign an addendum. The parties rights will have to be determined by the contract in place. The Rockets do not have to modify the existing contract. If White's agent and lawyers did not get provisions in the contract to protect their client, that is on them.

Regardless of contractual terms, the Rockets will still have to abide by the ADA, therefore if the requested accomodations are reasonable, they deny these accomodations at their peril.

By keeping quiet the Rockets are doing the right thing because

1. They cannot discuss the employees health issues in public without his permission, especially so with mental health issues.

2. If he sues the Rockets and wins he probably only gets the value of his present contract, but if he is able to prove that the Rockets turned other teams against him, he may be able to get future loss of earning which may be enormous.

Rockets are doing the right thing for a very delicate situation.

The courts may look into this and question to Royce/reps why they didn't have the conditions added in the first place before he signed the contract. Royce might response by saying the Rockets promised they will try to accommodate with his problems. This "promise" you see is very vague. And its not like Royce completely didn't try in the beginning, going to the summer leagues and travelling with the team during exhibition play. He mentioned thereafter he didn't feel , received the support he thought he was promised. Then wanted an addendum addedto his current contract.
For a judge, this matter will not be a black and white situation. It won't even be a there is a contract, too bad Royce situation. An average consumer can use a lawyer, sign a contract , breach it but still win at court. Contracts with millions of conditions, small prints , ambiguous  wordings ironically at times do not protect but rather attack you (especially if your a corp/org). Judges usually favor the underdog and mentally/physically handicapped also. I'd say Royce knows what he is doing.

The unfortunate thing is, if both Royce and Houston/NBA compromised, this problem wouldn't exist. So far its all or nothing and Royce won't be bullied and a great org like the NBA won't let a rookie tell them what to do