Author Topic: Rockets Suspend Royce White  (Read 13480 times)

Rockets Suspend Royce White
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Well the title says it all:
The Houston Rockets have suspended first-round pick Royce White for "refusing to provide services" required by his contract. General manager Daryl Morey said Sunday that the team will continue to work with White in hopes of finding a resolution

Uniform player contract includes services player is expected to provide. Breach of contract may include fines/suspensions.

Jonathan Feigen: This suspension does not come as a surprise to White. Morey has been in talks with him all week, unable to break the impasse.

Here is what Royce had to say about the incident:
Royce White: Threat, Fines, Suspension won't deter me. I won't accept illogical health decisions, I will keep asking for safety & health. #BeWell @Daryl Morey

This is just disrespectful. I could understand him in the beginning, but this is just pathetic. Im sorry for the future basketball players that suffers from the same illness as Royce does. Royce has probably destroyed all their chances to make it into the league now, cant imagine someone to gamble on a kid with Anxiety because of Royce.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Re: Rockets Suspend Royce White
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Seems like an overdue decision. I wonder why they waited so long.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Good grief did we ever dodge a bullet.  He was high on my list too.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
At this point I wonder if Royce White is truly trying to combat his illness?

I am no doctor by any stretch, but for him - is he doing his ABSOLUTE BEST to help himself, here?

Can he honestly say that he is doing his absolute best?

Or - CAN HE help himself?

I wish the best for him, though. Just a sad situation.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:24:52 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'm pretty sure that they were covering their assess if White decides to sue or something.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
At this pointI wonder if Royce White is truly trying to combat his illness?

I am no doctor by any stretch, but for him - is he doing his ABSOLUTE BEST to help himself, here?

Can he honestly say that he is doing his absolute best?

Or - CAN HE help himself?

I wish the best for him, though. Just a sad situation.
Good question.
Honestly to me it just feels like he doesnt even wants to play basketball, which is just sad to see, given that he has made it thus far. This problem has just blown out of proportions. Im glad that we didnt pick him in the draft.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm pretty sure Royce is deluding himself. He actually thinks either he'll get everything he wants and get to play for the Rockets or traded to a different team and they'll give him everything. I highly doubt he plans to get a job with his three years of Iowa State education.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm pretty sure that they were covering their assess if White decides to sue or something.
Yeah probably making sure they had all of their ducks in a row for a lawsuit that seems almost certain to come from Rocye's representatives.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Again - I'm no doctor, but I wonder if Royce White is perhaps looking around himself at OTHER's struggles.

We all are going through stuff....I wonder if he has perhaps looked at his own coaches' heartache?

Sometimes, seeing others go through things places our own struggles in perspective.

With HOU playing as well as they are without him, I'm sure if he was available to help that team - he would.

Royce White's talent, to me - is undeniable. He could help them RIGHT NOW - I'm sure of it.

it just seems as if the situation has regressed, sadly...I thought he was turning the corner, here....wasn't he reportedly helping others with his condition prior to him being drafted?

Why is he at the point he is at now?

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I still feel bad for the kid.  I was high on him on draft day.  His unique abilities could have been really cool on an NBA level.

Unfortunately, crazy people do crazy things.  That's a part of being crazy.  I hope he can get his issues in check some day and end up playing basketball for a living.

I'm still rooting for that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
The situation is unbelieveable. His tweets seem almost desigened to convince himself he is doing the right thing.

Physically, he could flourish with the Rockets. Mentally he isnt cut out for the NBA. After all I am reading, I dont think the guy is cut out for McDonalds.

Celtics18 is right, crazy people are called crazy for a reason. I followed Royce on Twitter for the entertainment but soon unfollowed because I could not believe some of the BS. The guy is getting paid millions to ride the bench until he proves his worth or play in the D league where he could have minutes and dominate. I just wont ever understand.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Royce White - I'm sure you don't read CelticBlog, but if you do - please revisit this article that quoted you several times:

http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/personal-stories/royce-white

“I want people to see that you can deal with your disorder and chase your dreams.”

......But White found he couldn’t stay away from the game. At Iowa State University, he led his team to their first NCAA tournament in seven years and was considered a top ten prospect for the 2012 NBA Draft. Twelve teams considered his anxiety disorder too great a liability. The Houston Rockets selected him and agreed to pay for his travel by RV to some games; even so, his NBA career has not taken a smooth road.

Showing Strength and Courage
Royce White is not quiet about his disorder. Drawing on his personal strength and courage, he is a vocal advocate for mental health. “I want people to see that you can deal with your disorder and chase your dreams.” He lists raising awareness for mental illness and ending the stigma that surrounds it among his life goals.

About his disorder, he says, “It’s bigger than me. My speaking about anxiety is something that wasn’t about me, never intended to be about me. It was intended to help others.” By sharing his story, Royce White is doing just that, hoping to inspire people who are struggling with anxiety disorders.

Royce White NEEDS BASKETBALL....I'm wishing him the best through his struggles.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't know what he expects...he is hired to play ball ....not to sit home and complain pout and act like a 6 year old who won't go to school.

The ROckets are business and professional team that plays to earn a living , not a charity , not a baby sitting service. Nor are they in the mental health business .

If he had been playing and giving to the NBA or a team for years , then I can see going out your way to help.

YOu can't take up space on the roster with a person who is physical good health , but mentally not able to function well enough to play baskeball. Its not like they are asking him to go to MARS or moon.  Just get on a bus /plane getyour game together. Anyone incapaible of this should just hang it up. 

He is giving them NOTHING, ZIP , nada for their efforts. He needs to check into a mental hospital , not an NBA locker room. 

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Unfortunately it seems to be an impasse that will be near to impossible to resolve.

From what I've read, Royce is arguing that medical decisions should be decided by the medical staff, not the team management. Ultimately while I'm sure the Rockets have been extremely considerate in this medical advice, I don't think any business would completely relegate themselves to decisions that affect the business.

It seems that the advice Royce has received from the doctors (unsure if this is his preferred doctor or the team staff) is that consistent playing time with the Rockets would provide him with some structure that will settle anxiety issues. Of course, I'm sure the Rockets cannot guarantee (consistent) playing time for a rookie who has yet to play a game and not practiced in 1.5 months.

His refusal to play in the D-league affiliate is frustrating, but I can see that from his perspective it would seem somewhat logical as it is essentially removing him from a schedule he envisaged with the Rockets.

It's a shame he has had to take to twitter to voice his perspective (it's what frustrates me most about this situation), the Rockets are certainly not going to comment on the steps they have taken with Royce for legal reasons. Essentially all social media is doing for Royce is making him seem more and more irrational as he tries to contend with mud-slinging directed at him (whether malicious or not) and no official Rockets perspective to compare to.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The only part I read that made any sense was when he said "Let's face it. The NBA is about money and I want to put my health first". Bingo. Give the man a prize. The nba is about money. It's not apparently healthy to play basketball 9 months a year. Could it be...just maybe...that's why you get paid so much and access to the best medical care? Because of the money?   What does he think any other job is about?

Did he think basketball at Iowa State was about his health?