Author Topic: If the Celts Can Land Josh Smith....DH12?  (Read 10594 times)

Re: If the Celts Can Land Josh Smith....DH12?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
If your still interested in Josh Smith joining the Celtics after last night, you need therapy. He does not make teams contenders. Stop for the sake of everyone with the trade ideas. Please.

THE TEAM CAN WIN THE TITLE AS IS. NO MORE TRADE IDEAS.

Are you kidding me? Hahaha he said after the summer. Is this team going to remain forever? How naive

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd rather make a push at Cousins. He's cheaper and wont cost the C's all of their back ups to get.

Plus I think Cousins is all around more talented than Howard. You see that right now with out Howards athleticism is borderline good. Cousins now some what focused is playing like a beast. Put he next to KG to learn what its is to be a pro and a Celtic could do the guy wonders. Howard would just laugh he entire time here...

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If your still interested in Josh Smith joining the Celtics after last night, you need therapy. He does not make teams contenders. Stop for the sake of everyone with the trade ideas. Please.

I agree with your first statement -- Josh Smith has never thrilled me. 

But this team cannot win the title as is (my opinion of course).  They do need help in the middle -- size, defense, rebounding.   I think Okafur is the guy.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd rather make a push at Cousins. He's cheaper and wont cost the C's all of their back ups to get.

Plus I think Cousins is all around more talented than Howard. You see that right now with out Howards athleticism is borderline good. Cousins now some what focused is playing like a beast. Put he next to KG to learn what its is to be a pro and a Celtic could do the guy wonders. Howard would just laugh he entire time here...

Yeah, I agree with that. The other thing I really like about Cousins is you can tell he's got a mean streak. I think the Celts need that even more than a big, somebody who won't be afraid to be an "enforcer."

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Okay, so under what realistic scenario do we get Smith?  And please don't throw out names like bass, green, lee, and terry.  If we aren't including Avery or Sullly ( and maybe both), then forget about.  Someone said earlier that the hawks wouldn't want to lose smith for nothing.  Well, if we want to give them our leftovers, then nothing is actually a better option for them.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Since Smith has been a good soldier in his contract year and hasn't make any demands to be moved, I don't think ATL will do anything with him at the deadline.  They're strategy has been to clear up cap space to make a run at CP3/D Ho and some of the lesser FA s this summer. 

The only way Boston gets Smith this summer is if he convinces Ferry that he will sign with a team with caproom and the Hawks will get nothing for him. Then he and his agent can finagle a S and T, assuming the Hawks like Green and one of Lee/Bass/Terry.

ATL has only $21m on the books next season and Horford is an star center at $12m,  They would have room for two max FAs, and could conceivable keep Josh Smith, and S and T Horford for Howard (who would tell the Lakers he's going there anyways if they don't agree to the S and T) and sign Chris Paul outright.

If Howard and Paul don't come on the market, the Hawks will re-up Smith, add a SG like JR Smith, and maybe a low post threat big like JJ Hickson. 

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Looks and seems to me like Smith wants to be here. Pierce, Garnett, and Rondo were awfully friendly with Smith last night. KG even gave him a hand to pick him up off the ground, and the hug session at the end was also an interesting gesture.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Since Smith has been a good soldier in his contract year and hasn't make any demands to be moved, I don't think ATL will do anything with him at the deadline.  They're strategy has been to clear up cap space to make a run at CP3/D Ho and some of the lesser FA s this summer. 

The only way Boston gets Smith this summer is if he convinces Ferry that he will sign with a team with caproom and the Hawks will get nothing for him. Then he and his agent can finagle a S and T, assuming the Hawks like Green and one of Lee/Bass/Terry.

ATL has only $21m on the books next season and Horford is an star center at $12m,  They would have room for two max FAs, and could conceivable keep Josh Smith, and S and T Horford for Howard (who would tell the Lakers he's going there anyways if they don't agree to the S and T) and sign Chris Paul outright.

If Howard and Paul don't come on the market, the Hawks will re-up Smith, add a SG like JR Smith, and maybe a low post threat big like JJ Hickson.
None of this is realistic.  As I said, the hawks would likely rather have nothing instead of green, lee, bass, and terry.  See my post above.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
lets be honest he should probably just come here. I mean playing in Atlanta is pretty much like playing at the garden anyway. With all the fans there and such

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

None of this is realistic.  As I said, the hawks would likely rather have nothing instead of green, lee, bass, and terry.  See my post above.

A team has to have some kind of payroll.  Compared to some of the UFAs out there, Lee, Bass, Green and Terry look pretty good.  Of course, other teams could get involved int he deal if Atlanta didn't like the Cs' assets.

Since your declaration that none of my proposals are realistic, can you tell me the times NBA teams in the last few season just let top tier FAs walk away without getting any compensation back?  Phoenix did it with Amare, but the last couple of years the standard has been that top FAs have been able to dictate where they play. 

I'd say it's more likely that a team with nine open salary slots and $40 million in caproom would do a S and T for Smith rather than let him walk for no compensation, especially in a year where the pickings are slim for top FAs. 

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Rondo is a friend of Josh Smith, but its been 6 years and Smith hasn't come here. So obviously, just because Dwight is a friend of Josh, it doesn't mean that Dwight will come here. At least not just because of friendship.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:27:10 PM by badshar »

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Are you kidding me? Hahaha he said after the summer. Is this team going to remain forever? How naive

Not sure this team can win a title without the addition of a solid center (and that does not mean some journeyman 7-footer who gets waived at the trade deadline - we have had enough of those and have one now anyway).
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

A team has to have some kind of payroll.  Compared to some of the UFAs out there, Lee, Bass, Green and Terry look pretty good.  Of course, other teams could get involved int he deal if Atlanta didn't like the Cs' assets.

Since your declaration that none of my proposals are realistic, can you tell me the times NBA teams in the last few season just let top tier FAs walk away without getting any compensation back?  Phoenix did it with Amare, but the last couple of years the standard has been that top FAs have been able to dictate where they play. 

I'd say it's more likely that a team with nine open salary slots and $40 million in caproom would do a S and T for Smith rather than let him walk for no compensation, especially in a year where the pickings are slim for top FAs.
i didn't say Atl would or should let smith walk.  I said that our package is worse than letting him walk.  Lots of other options in between.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Actually, a more sensible trade for both teams would be:

Rondo
Sullinger
Melo

For

Horford
Teague

I think Atlanta would go for it and it solves our big man rebounding problem while giving us a decent PG prospect. We start Bradley at the PG and Horford next to KG while this Teague kid learns the system.

I bet Atlanta would even give us a second rounder for sweetner. We also dont have to give up Green, Bass, Lee or Terry from our bench gang and could use one of them for another later trade if we wanted.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Actually, a more sensible trade for both teams would be:

Rondo
Sullinger
Melo

For

Horford
Teague

I think Atlanta would go for it and it solves our big man rebounding problem while giving us a decent PG prospect. We start Bradley at the PG and Horford next to KG while this Teague kid learns the system.

I bet Atlanta would even give us a second rounder for sweetner. We also dont have to give up Green, Bass, Lee or Terry from our bench gang and could use one of them for another later trade if we wanted.

Yeah, and I would actually go for this. TP. I've always liked Horford as a player and this trade would REALLY benefit both teams. Teague really isn't that bad (not as good as Rondo, but you have to give to get.)