Author Topic: this Knicks game monday is big  (Read 7007 times)

this Knicks game monday is big
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
not just because a win would give us 3 straight and bring us back to .500

but because after beating 2 playoff calibar teams, beating the currently #2 seed would show that we are truly back to being the C's that we know.

and I sort of like our chances, even though the knicks have been on a scoring tear. they are a very Iso heavy team...if we can play defense like we have the past 2 games we can force them into alot of bad shots.

I like Bradley on JR smith/Kidd

the big matchup to me is how Pierce/Green defend melo

Re: this Knicks game monday is big
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If the Knicks are hitting the 3s, we're in for a long night. If they aren't, we'll be good. That's how it always goes with them, shouldn't be any different now.

The X factor is always Rondo... when he runs, he usually destroys the Knicks.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »

Offline madkiller9

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
very important game for the C's.they must win it.then they will have PHX HOU CHA NOH and Chicago at home.It's time to have a winning streak!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Bradley can cause Kidd nightmares.

The Knicks are a different team without Raymond Felton in there. Gone are the two PG backcourts and with that gone too is much of the Knicks non-Melo dribble penetration + their great job avoiding turnovers.

Avery Bradley can cause a great deal of mayhem to the Knicks offense with Kidd as their sole PG on the floor. It'll force Carmelo to bring up the ball and initiate the offense. Make it harder for him to get to his sweet spots and iso plays.

A good time to play New York. I expect a win. 

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Carmelo is having a career year. I'm wary of him.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

The Knicks are a different team without Raymond Felton in there. Gone are the two PG backcourts and with that gone too is much of the Knicks non-Melo dribble penetration + their great job avoiding turnovers.

Avery Bradley can cause a great deal of mayhem to the Knicks offense with Kidd as their sole PG on the floor. It'll force Carmelo to bring up the ball and initiate the offense. Make it harder for him to get to his sweet spots and iso plays.

We'll see. Kidd likes to pass the ball up the court anyways when available, and he passes the ball early in the shot clock regardless, so we'll see if it'll affect them much. But I agree Bradley should be able to bother Kidd a lot.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Carmelo is having a career year. I'm wary of him.

If he goes supernova, he goes supernova... but I've liked the job Green has done on him in our match-ups. I've found he's guarded Melo better than Pierce, so hopefully that happens this time around too.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
the big matchup to me is how Pierce/Green defend melo
I am happy enough to let Melo do his thing. I am more concerned with keeping a lid on the rest of the supporting cast.

Take Kidd and Tyson out of the game. Keep a lid on JR Smith's explosive scoring. Don't let Novak go off. Novak is just a spot-up shooter so it shouldn't be hard to shut him down with NY's more limited offense without Felton around. Amare hasn't really gotten off the mark yet. Probably only a minor threat.

Do that and Melo can have his 35-40 points. New York will still lose.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

We'll see. Kidd likes to pass the ball up the court anyways when available, and he passes the ball early in the shot clock regardless, so we'll see if it'll affect them much. But I agree Bradley should be able to bother Kidd a lot.

I saw a couple of teams pressure Kidd full-court towards the end of his stay in Dallas and he was not comfortable with it at all. Took Dallas out of their rhythm offensively.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am less concerned about a win and more interested in how the Celtics play defense.  If they put up the type of defensive effort and stats they did in the 4th Q against Memphis, against Indiana, and the last 3 quarters of the Atl game, and they lose to NY, I won't care.  That will just mean they had a bad night offensively.

If they keep playing defense like they have recently, this team will be a threat for the NBA Finals.  Mark my words. 

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I saw a couple of teams pressure Kidd full-court towards the end of his stay in Dallas and he was not comfortable with it at all. Took Dallas out of their rhythm offensively.

That's good to know then, hopefully it ends up being true here too. We'll see if Bradley actually ends up guarding him. If I recall, Rondo himself has been a pest defending Kidd, so either way we should bother him.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
New York have not been playing well lately.

They are down around .500 since their fast start. Yeah, I am looking at the standings now and they have split their last 10 games -- 5 wins and 5 losses. The commentators at one of their recent games said their three point shooting has fallen off badly in that period. And they've lost an important dimension offensively with Felton out (pick and roll play, dribble penetration, drive and kick game for shooters).

This is a good time to play New York. Get a win. Continue to build some confidence. A head of steam. 

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
At this point with our record every game is big.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think it's a big game for Jeff Green.  If he can help keep Anthony in check, that will be huge. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This is a statement game.

We need to stop JR Smith's scoring. Melo will get his buckets but if we contain JR, we'll be good.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace