Author Topic: Washburn: celtics were arguing over defensive strategy and blame at halftime  (Read 7865 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
its most likely the new guys....Doc is trying to instill in them that you have to play with that intensity level EVERY NIGHT.

our starters know it...and if our bench can keep playing like that intensity level we will win alot of games going forward.

these last 2 games were important for them...to know that even if you are down 15points..you can with WITH YOUR DEFENSE

now, lets bring on the knicks.

Why keep pointing fingers at our new guys... it was our starters principally that weren't getting the job done last night in the first half, in particular Rondo who was awful on both ends of the floor.
Because Jet went 2-8 with 0 blocks, steals, or rebs in over 25 mins, while Jeff Preen went 1-4 with 0, blocks, or steals, one reb, and one TO in 15 mins. Jason Collins also had zero rebs, steals or blocks in almost 4 mins, and keep in mind that was mostly against Zaza. Nobody is saying anything bad against Sully who went 4 for 8, with 9 rebs, two assists, and a block in 23 and a half minutes.

Other than we're talking here about defense... and most of the damage was done by Lou, who get this, was guarded by one named Rondo, who also turned the ball over 4+ times in the first half alone.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is on the heals of Washburn's story earlier in the week, hinting at a dichotomy of the locker room and there definitely being a faction that is not as caring of the results occurring than some others.

This is another article that is fostering that implication without actually naming names.

As I said before, watch any upcoming Celtics' trades. Those going out are more than likely those that do not have the attitude that this team has had for the past 5 years.

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Such a non-story. Players arguing out of frustration when the team is down? I'm sure this doesn't happen in any team sport on any level ever.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'd like to to know who was doing the "bickering".

Probably KG and Rondo.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
its most likely the new guys....Doc is trying to instill in them that you have to play with that intensity level EVERY NIGHT.

our starters know it...and if our bench can keep playing like that intensity level we will win alot of games going forward.

these last 2 games were important for them...to know that even if you are down 15points..you can with WITH YOUR DEFENSE

Why keep pointing fingers at our new guys... it was our starters principally that weren't getting the job done last night in the first half, in particular Rondo who was awful on both ends of the floor.
Because Jet went 2-8 with 0 blocks, steals, or rebs in over 25 mins, while Jeff Preen went 1-4 with 0, blocks, or steals, one reb, and one TO in 15 mins. Jason Collins also had zero rebs, steals or blocks in almost 4 mins, and keep in mind that was mostly against Zaza. Nobody is saying anything bad against Sully who went 4 for 8, with 9 rebs, two assists, and a block in 23 and a half minutes.

Other than we're talking here about defense... and most of the damage was done by Lou, who get this, was guarded by one named Rondo, who also turned the ball over 4+ times in the first half alone.
I don't understand. While Rondo was on his way to a triple double last night which of the new guys was playing such great defense? Because I totally missed that.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I don't understand. While Rondo was on his way to a triple double last night which of the new guys was playing such great defense? Because I totally missed that.

Have I made a claim where our players were playing great defense? I completely missed it. All I'm saying is that the main culprit for our first half problems was Rondo. His defensive effort was non-existent, and he was doing a very poor job offensively.

He wasn't on his way to a triple double in the first half, sorry, but that's not the way he played.

And since he's apparently our leader, everything should start with him, so I don't see the point of pointing fingers at our bench/new guys, when our starters were doing such a poor job in the first place.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Have I made a claim where our players were playing great defense? I completely missed it. All I'm saying is that the main culprit for our first half problems was Rondo. His defensive effort was non-existent, and he was doing a very poor job offensively.

He wasn't on his way to a triple double in the first half, sorry, but that's not the way he played.

And since he's apparently our leader, everything should start with him, so I don't see the point of pointing fingers at our bench/new guys, when our starters were doing such a poor job in the first place.
I think the difference is that Rondo has been known to play well. He does it sometimes. I haven't seen any of the new guys play well. I can't recall a time this year when I thought "Man. I am so glad we have this guy".  A couple of them are being paid that way. When you're on the bench and the starter is having a bad game it's not your job to come in and play just as bad. I think that's why the new guys get more fingers pointed at them.  The only new guy that plays well is Sully.  You can't expect all the starters to all have a good game every game. But you can expect the new guys to have more than one guy have a good game more than once in a while. But it never happens.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I think the difference is that Rondo has been known to play well. He does it sometimes. I haven't seen any of the new guys play well. I can't recall a time this year when I thought "Man. I am so glad we have this guy".  A couple of them are being paid that way. When you're on the bench and the starter is having a bad game it's not your job to come in and play just as bad. I think that's why the new guys get more fingers pointed at them.  The only new guy that plays well is Sully.  You can't expect all the starters to all have a good game every game. But you can expect the new guys to have more than one guy have a good game more than once in a while. But it never happens.

Lee is playing well, but for some reason Doc refuses to give him more playing time, including yesterday... which worked out since Terry actually played good defense in the 4th quarter.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This just shows that Doc is the right coach for this team.  Also shows that it's players' effort that's been lacking all along, not Doc's system or rotation.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I only caught the last few minutes of the first half, then the majority of the second half last night, but there are very few teams in the league who are prepared to deal with the level of intensity the Celtics brought in the second half.  It makes the `07-`08 team all the more impressive to reflect on, because they basically played at that level for an entire season.

We simply have not seen Rondo diving for loose balls in the regular season. 

I don't know that we should expect them to maintain that level of intensity throughout the season, but it's at least comforting to know that that level is still attainable.
Yup

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Hopefully this doesn't get overblown

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm not worried about this. Quick someone drug up the Cavs GM and make this happen, trade Green, Collins, Melo and a Pick for Varejao and Gee.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I think Green is definitely heading out of town and it would not surprise me if Jet was also on the list. They need a backup big and a backup SF if Green is gone, although in my opinion, any journeyman small forward can give them what Green is giving them.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This will be blown out of proportion (I can already see the Rondo bashers looking for ways to blame him), but obviously the team came out of it and played well. This is a non-story.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

And you obviously didn't watch the game and are only interested in box scored, because Terry, Collins and Green all showed some very nice effort on defense which the box score nicely fails to tell.