Poll

How cae best help Green live up to his potential?

Send him to the Cs WNBA-affiliate team to encourage toughness
Sign him up for a local prison league to encourage toughness
Teach him to stand up when he pees
Have him watch old videos of Perk playing with aggression and hate
Find a GM dumb enough to take him

Author Topic: Best way to foster Green's growth?  (Read 11539 times)

Re: Best way to foster Green's growth?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would like to see Jeff Green get some playing time alongside Pierce on the wing with Bass and KG as big men but with Jason Terry (shooter) at the point instead of Rajon Rondo (non-shooter).

Make it harder for opponents to send help defense when Pierce or Green attack the mismatch.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
One problem is they go to him once. And if he miss's they don't go back. They need to create miss match's like they do with PP, making the defenders switch and getting him a smaller guy to post.

They also need to ISO, but have Terry on the opposite 3 point line so the defender doesn't help out.

I don't think he's ever going to have the mental toughness of PP,KG or Rondo, but can be a good Robin or Auquman for the team if used right and put in the right places. Something Doc and Rondo hasn't done enough of.

TP for the specifics. Your first two options make a lot of sense - especially going right back to him. He is someone who lacks confidence and knowing that team would be willing to go right back to him even after he blows it may do him a lot of good.

I really do get a little sick of the negativity regarding Green. He is not the next coming of Scottie Pippen, but he can provide a very useful role if used the right way. I agree that he needs to be 'tougher', but unlike KG, I don't think Pierce is as much of a teacher - even though he is a great great player.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I would like to see Jeff Green get some playing time alongside Pierce on the wing with Bass and KG as big men but with Jason Terry (shooter) at the point instead of Rajon Rondo (non-shooter).

Make it harder for opponents to send help defense when Pierce or Green attack the mismatch.

Doc refuses to use Terry as a PG. Even when Lee is on the floor with him, it's Lee playing PG.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Doc refuses to use Terry as a PG. Even when Lee is on the floor with him, it's Lee playing PG.
Yeah, that's been strange -- Lee handling the ball so much when Terry is there.

Confusing. 

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Get him to understand he is not a scorer and needs to commit himself to defense and rebounding to become a highly valuable glue guy in the NBA.

Who needs a $9M/year, nonscoring, 'glue guy' at the 3?

Brooklyn, Minnesota, Chicago, Philly, Dallas.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I want to like green, I really do. But he is a very tough player to figure out. It seems that his best attribute is being athletic, and he is bery good at beimg athletic.

His job for us is to be a go to scorer on the second unit. Yet, he isn't a very good scorer. The put him in iso a lot or post him up, but he has one ISP move (go right, into the middle, force up something weird) and he isn't a good post up player. Even when he has smaller players on him he has trouble backing the down to the basket. This year he has hit some threes but he isn't a very good three point shooter either. He is best at getting easy transition buckets and get, but we don't run much.

So he's here to score but isn't a good scorer. He isn't a very good rebounder at around 3 a game, he doesn't box out much at all. He isn't a good passer at less than 1 a game. He reminds of a welfare version of ISO-joe where it's just one and done for him, and his defense isn't very good either. So at the point, i struggle with what he can actually provide for us that say a pieteus or even a Sasha Pavlovic couldn't.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Who defends the 2? It'd need to be against teams that are either big or bad at SG.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I will pile on (even though I like Green and hope he can contribute more). When Green goes iso, his moves are too predictable. He gets stuffed or blocked because the defender knows what he Is about to do.   Doc should run more plays for him, REAL plays, not iso.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Who defends the 2? It'd need to be against teams that are either big or bad at SG.

It looks like it has to be J.Green. Pierce has slowed down defensively this year.

The matchups have to be appropriate for that combination to work well together.

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I agree with Who. I've been advocating for the Green/Pierce combo for a while (as have many others on this board).

Offensively, this gives us a lot more versatility and length.

Defensively, Green can guard the 2 and Pierce the 3. Green easily has the requisite athleticism to guard the 2.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I dont think we'll see Green's true value until we play a team like the Knicks/Heat who like to play small with Melo/Lebron at the 4.

this is really why Green was acquired....to defend the elite wings so that pierce can expend more energy on offense and provide more of a scoring threat that teams would have to respect.

hes a 15ppg scorer given starting minutes...but the way our roster is constructed he cant really get those minutes/touches...theres only so many shots to go around.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Green isn't good enough offensively to be the focal point of an offense when he's out there.  He's not a quick penetrator, can only go to his right and has only a decent pull up.  He's a good post up player though.  When he plays, he's out there a lot with KG, Terry and even Rondo; he shouldn't be the focus.  What are they going to do?  Just iso him up repeatedly?  He would get more chances he was a better playmaker and could be a ballhandler off picks.

I'd like for the aspects of the game besides scoring to be emphasized to Green.  He has to be one of the biggest underachievers from what he's physically capable of on the defensive end and the boards and what he actually does.  He's shown glimpses of being able to wreak havoc on the defensive end, particularly in the final game against Milwaukee.  He turned defense into offense too.  Just more of that please.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Get him to understand he is not a scorer and needs to commit himself to defense and rebounding to become a highly valuable glue guy in the NBA.

Who needs a $9M/year, nonscoring, 'glue guy' at the 3?

Brooklyn, Minnesota, Chicago, Philly, Dallas.

I could actually see Green modelling his game after AK-47. That would be pretty awsome.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
lol at the poll

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I dont think we'll see Green's true value until we play a team like the Knicks/Heat who like to play small with Melo/Lebron at the 4.

this is really why Green was acquired....to defend the elite wings so that pierce can expend more energy on offense and provide more of a scoring threat that teams would have to respect.

hes a 15ppg scorer given starting minutes...but the way our roster is constructed he cant really get those minutes/touches...theres only so many shots to go around.

Green cannot defend Lebron nor Melo. Please trade him, Danny. In my opinion, a journeyman wing can give the Celtics what he is giving them.