Poll

How cae best help Green live up to his potential?

Send him to the Cs WNBA-affiliate team to encourage toughness
Sign him up for a local prison league to encourage toughness
Teach him to stand up when he pees
Have him watch old videos of Perk playing with aggression and hate
Find a GM dumb enough to take him

Author Topic: Best way to foster Green's growth?  (Read 11527 times)

Best way to foster Green's growth?
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Loaded with talent, oozes basketball player as much as Jesus Shuttlesworth did... how can we get him to be a basketball player? Make good on all his god-given talent and potential?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Best way to foster Green's growth?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:49:49 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
trade him

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:55:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
To me it's not a lack of effort but a problem with decision making (at least on offense). He isn't decisive, taking way too long to get into his move whether it be in the post or the wing. I think this will improve as he continues to play.

Your poll is hilarious btw.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:40:24 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
He should be teached on how to play the right way...but most of all, doc should also utilize him and get him in rhythm, if he is played limited minutes, what you see is limited production.

I want to see Jeff Green utilize his athleticism more by mastering a one dribbledrive pullup jump shot from around 12-15 ft. I believe that he can be good at that because he can jump high and his shot will be unblockable, he needs to work his ass off on that one and make a living out of it, I believe no SF can touch his shot if he masters it.  Didn't we at one point compared this guy to the late Len Bias?...well its because he can be like that, he just need touches andwork on his game.

He should also stop camping at the 3 point area and utilize whatever basketball IQ is left in his brain to stop ball watchin and move like AB via backdoor cuts, if his man is ballwatching which i notice a lot of times then he should make his move. A back door cut will usually result in a close range shot and possible free throw shot if fouled by his man.

His D is decent as it is, he just needs to stay infront of his man more.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 03:01:02 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
rofl at the poll
DKC Suns

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:04:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Maybe Doc should put the entire starting lineup on the 5-5-5 plan with KG and go with Green as part of an all-bench unit with Terry, Lee, Sullinger, and Collins.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:36:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Get him to understand he is not a scorer and needs to commit himself to defense and rebounding to become a highly valuable glue guy in the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Give him a role and then give him some consistent minutes and responsibility to carry that role out. If he doesn't live up to it, call him out.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Give him a role and then give him some consistent minutes and responsibility to carry that role out. If he doesn't live up to it, call him out.

like last night?  He saw significant minutes and stunk up the joint.  Including getting blocked by the rim ::).  I mean seriously you cant play timid in basketball.  You dont need to score all the time but you do need to be someone that's noticeable in the game.  For me, he's lost his time to prove himself.  The last two games everyone has stepped up and is finding their niche.  Jeff greens still over in the stands suckin his thumb and lookin up at the rafters.  HIS ROLE is already defined...get in there and do your job for the time we give you.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I think the coaching staff and Danny need to look at what made him a productive player in the past.

In Okc I think he got the majority of his shots through isolation plays. So Doc needs to run more isolations for him if he wants consistent production.

The real question is whether or not doing this makes they Celtics better. IMO it does not.

The alternative is trying to develop Greens game by teaching him how to play differently off the ball and work harder to get to spots where he can take advantage of his size and quickness. I also never see Ihim too involved in pick n rolls or even setting screens off the ball.

I think Doc is stuck somewhere in between these options. Some games green is getting fed the ball and asked to create. Other games he just floats.

Regarding defense and rebounding, I think he is capped out at average defender and below average rebounder.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Get him to understand he is not a scorer and needs to commit himself to defense and rebounding to become a highly valuable glue guy in the NBA.

Who needs a $9M/year, nonscoring, 'glue guy' at the 3?

Either to keep him or trade him, he's got to just be smarter about scoring to have any value.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hopefully, Danny can trade gun once Jan 15th comes for an asset.  So I think this growth happens on another team because we signed the guy and needed him to produce and he has largely pulled a vanishing act.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Hopefully, Danny can trade gun once Jan 15th comes for an asset.  So I think this growth happens on another team because we signed the guy and needed him to produce and he has largely pulled a vanishing act.

I don't think we get anything back that helps the team now. So I would hold onto his potential.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
One problem is they go to him once. And if he miss's they don't go back. They need to create miss match's like they do with PP, making the defenders switch and getting him a smaller guy to post.

They also need to ISO, but have Terry on the opposite 3 point line so the defender doesn't help out.

I don't think he's ever going to have the mental toughness of PP,KG or Rondo, but can be a good Robin or Auquman for the team if used right and put in the right places. Something Doc and Rondo hasn't done enough of.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Besides teaching him how to pee properly, we should hold on his potential. Remember Bradley? He was considered a bust and a lot of guys wanted him as a trade filler, but Danny held on and now we have one of the best defenders in the league.

Give Green a break, the guy could have died if the doctors haven't found out that aneurysm. He sat the whole year out and he should just be happy he's still alive. Plus, Doc once again shows as a confidence killer. How can a guy blossom and grow if he's benched after every stupid play? Everyone makes stupid plays, so we should just be patient. He is a big part of our future.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG