Author Topic: Absolute, impressive, definitive, statement win tonight  (Read 13025 times)

Re: Absolute, impressive, definitive, statement win tonight
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
crank up that trade value boys... 10 days till the shoppin begins.

Not if we keep playing like these past two games.

I think a trade is still coming and hope that Green is going
Honestly I would rather move Terry.

In this league you need 3 point shooters to spread the floor for your other players. Trading terry makes us a pretty poor team from outside.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Where can one find a replay of the entire game (and not just this one, but any Cs game)?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 11:33:40 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Where can one find a replay of the entire game (and not just this one, but any Cs game)?

On NBA league pass, where you have to sit through 4 of the same NBA cares ads every timeout.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 11:56:25 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
What the hell is up with all this Terry hate?  There is no justification for it at all. 

Terry was brought in as a scorer, with the expectation that he would be able to give us 10-12 points per game off the bench (and provide us with the offensive threat our bench has needed for years) while also offering the ability to spend a small amount of time at the PG spot to back up Rondo when neeed. 

So far that is exactly what he's giving us - he's averaging 14 Points per 36 minutes, he's shooting 38% from three, he's shooting 87% from the free throw line, he's taking care of the ball (only 1.2 TO per game) and every single statistical resource I've seen says that he's been one of out top 3 players defensively.

Honestly, what do you people want?  Did you expect him to come here and have a breakout season (at 35 years of age) to average 20 PPG on 50% shooting?  Did you expect him to suddenly learn elite PG skills from Rondo and average 7 assists per game? Did you expect him to learn from an injured Avery Bradley and suddently become a DPOTY candidate?

I just don't get it.

I totally understand the dissapoitment with Green because his youth, athleticism and talent gave hope that he could have a breakout season and be something special, while he's proven to be nothing but a role player.  Plus I get that his contract far exceeds his production. 

I totally understand the dissapointment with Bass because he played so well last season, was rewarded with a nice contract, and his production this season has become worse in every statistical category. 

With Terry though we are only paying him the $5M Midlevel exception based on what we expected from him, and he's given us exactly what was expected. He's clearly earning his pay, so I honestly have no idea at all what the deal is.

For all the people dissing Terry, please tell me honestly what you expected from him that he hasn't fulfulled?

Finally consider that Terry is the only dependable shooting in our backcourt that opposing teams need to respect. Rondo is a poor three point shooter, Barbosa is streaky, Lee is struggling and Bradley is going to take time to find his shot.  Outside of the backcourt you also have Green who (like Barbosa) is steaky.

Terry and Pierce are pretty much the only shooters we can depend on from game to game, so why on earth would anyone want to trade one of those guys away from a team that already struggles offensively as it is?

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 12:04:22 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
What the hell is up with all this Terry hate?  There is no justification for it at all. 

Terry was brought in as a scorer, with the expectation that he would be able to give us 10-12 points per game off the bench (and provide us with the offensive threat our bench has needed for years) while also offering the ability to spend a small amount of time at the PG spot to back up Rondo when neeed. 

So far that is exactly what he's giving us - he's averaging 14 Points per 36 minutes, he's shooting 38% from three, he's shooting 87% from the free throw line, he's taking care of the ball (only 1.2 TO per game) and every single statistical resource I've seen says that he's been one of out top 3 players defensively.

Honestly, what do you people want?  Did you expect him to come here and have a breakout season (at 35 years of age) to average 20 PPG on 50% shooting?  Did you expect him to suddenly learn elite PG skills from Rondo and average 7 assists per game? Did you expect him to learn from an injured Avery Bradley and suddently become a DPOTY candidate?

I just don't get it.

I totally understand the dissapoitment with Green because his youth, athleticism and talent gave hope that he could have a breakout season and be something special, while he's proven to be nothing but a role player.  Plus I get that his contract far exceeds his production. 

I totally understand the dissapointment with Bass because he played so well last season, was rewarded with a nice contract, and his production this season has become worse in every statistical category. 

With Terry though we are only paying him the $5M Midlevel exception based on what we expected from him, and he's given us exactly what was expected. He's clearly earning his pay, so I honestly have no idea at all what the deal is.

For all the people dissing Terry, please tell me honestly what you expected from him that he hasn't fulfulled?

Finally consider that Terry is the only dependable shooting in our backcourt that opposing teams need to respect. Rondo is a poor three point shooter, Barbosa is streaky, Lee is struggling and Bradley is going to take time to find his shot.  Outside of the backcourt you also have Green who (like Barbosa) is steaky.

Terry and Pierce are pretty much the only shooters we can depend on from game to game, so why on earth would anyone want to trade one of those guys away from a team that already struggles offensively as it is?
I think a center is a stronger need than a three point shooter off the bench. I suggested trading Terry because I think he is a solid trade chip that we would use to help us. Bradley and Sully would be worth something to other teams but I don't want to trade either. Green's contract might be a bit much which drives his price down. Bass is not playing well so if you traded him it would be selling low. So I picked Terry to move because he makes the most sense and I see a center as a bigger need than what he does.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Ah yes, Lee is struggling with his shot... not only does he have the highest FG% after Rondo from our guard/wing positions, shooting a career high 48% from the field, he's shooting over 50% from the field in the last 17 games since December.

So no, Lee isn't struggling.

If the context was his 3 point shot, he's actually shooting it better than Terry recently. Over the same span, Lee has been shooting the 3 at a 41% clip.

If anything, Lee has been struggling to find opportunities to score because he's been a very willing passer, and a better job could be done to get him the ball when he's open in the corner.

The issue here as far as Lee is concerned is not struggling with his shot, but find the opportunities to shoot.

During that same span, Terry has been shooting from 3-point at 34%.

Terry though shoots more than Lee, at the moment he's a high risk high reward player, while Lee is low-risk low reward in his usage. I think the team can afford to currently make Lee a player to risk more from, and hopefully be rewarded more than Terry has.

All that said, I want to keep all our guards as is. Just would like a tweak on how Doc is using them.

If the need to find a good impact player arises, and we absolutely need to trade one of them, I'd rather trade Barbosa, and if not then Terry. Lee is a better fit for us mainly because both Rondo and Bradley are undersized, and Terry hurts us too often when Doc plays him as a SG alongside Rondo, yet he keeps going to that.

If people want a center, then the player to trade is Bass. Once Wilcox returns, he won't be missed, and I think Wilcox is a better fit anyways... just have my doubts about his capability to remain healthy. That said, with Sullinger at hand,if we can turn Bass into a center who can give us some good minutes for a couple of years, or a center who's an expiring contract, I'd do it with little hesitation.

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I just don't get it.

I think a center is a stronger need than a three point shooter off the bench. I suggested trading Terry because I think he is a solid trade chip that we would use to help us. Bradley and Sully would be worth something to other teams but I don't want to trade either. Green's contract might be a bit much which drives his price down. Bass is not playing well so if you traded him it would be selling low. So I picked Terry to move because he makes the most sense and I see a center as a bigger need than what he does.

I don't want a trade but what you a suggesting should be Lee instead of Jet... Jet is more than just a 3 point shooter who will spread the floor, he is what he showed tonight, when the games gets down to the wire, he will gladly take and hit the big shots! He is the guy who will break a team's heart when they think they are getting momentum... he breaks hearts by extending leads (so you didn't see him in the finals in 2011?)!! What big do you think we are going to get that you know can give us what we need when the going gets tough? Atl started to battle back, we kept missing, Jet stepped up... it will be tougher in the playoffs, he has been there and DONE/WON that! Lee has been really good for us (again, I don't want a trade) but are you telling me you'd rather have him when the playoffs come round over Jet? I'd like to have both but if it came down to who you send out first then it has to be Lee (even with his very solid play)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Get some rest, BOS - then it's on to NY on Monday.

Let's keep the good times rolling, please.

Nullify Melo, JR and Novak and we got this one, too!

Lock Em' Down, BOS!

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 12:33:54 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think a center is a stronger need than a three point shooter off the bench. I suggested trading Terry because I think he is a solid trade chip that we would use to help us.

Terry makes sense for a team that has playoff aspirations.  Those teams tend to not have decent center available.  You're better off using Lee rather than Terry as a solid trade chip in a deal with a non-playoff team for a big who is not in the team's future plans because some idiot GM might overvalue Lee as a possible long-term solid starting SG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

We have been a pretty successful team over the past 5 seasons, do you recall who our backup centers were?

2007-2008: PJ Brown / Brian Scalabrine
2008-2009: Brian Scalabrine / Mikki Moore
2009-2010: Rasheed Wallace / Brian Scalabrine
2010-2011: Glenn Davis (Shaq, JO, Krstic all had injuries)
2011-2012: Greg Stiemsma / Ryan Hollins

Do they look like teams that had outstanding backup centers to you?

On the other hand we have ALWAYS had multiple outside shooting threats.  Obviously we had Pierce (as with now) but we also had:

* In 2008 Ray, Posey and Eddie House
* In 2009 Ray and Eddie House
* In 2010 Ray, Eddie House and Rasheed Wallace
* In 2011 Ray, Nate Robinson, Delonte West, Sasa Pavlovic,
* in 2012 Ray, Mickeal Pietrus, Sasha Pavlovic

Ray Allen was the #1 guy as a shooter who defenses needed to pay attention to.  No defense would ever dream of leaving him open. 

Second tier shooters were Eddie House, Nate Robinson, Rasheed, Pavlovic, Pietrus.  These uys are no Ray Allen, but if they are streak shooters who can kill you from three if they get hot. You need to keep an eye on them.

This season Terry is like our Ray Allen equivalent.  He's the guy that opposing defenses will always put a body on becuase he has an exceptional history as a three point shooter, and his reputation along draws defenders out. 

Our second tier of shooters basically comes down to Barbosa - he's no pure shooter, but he's streaky and can kill you when he's hot (much like Eddie House). He's also only averaged 5 minutes per game over our last 8 games

Then we have Green, Bradley and Lee who are all third Tier shooters.  Everyone knows these guys can hit the open three, but you aren't going to break a sweat about closing out on them because none of those guys are shooting over 32% for the season from three.  In fact you almost WANT these guys to take a three, because they are far more dangerous from midrange (Lee, Bradley) or off the dribble (Green).   

You need to consider that Terry has been top 15 or top 20 in the NBA in clutch scoring over the past several seasons.  If we make the playoffs we are going to desperately need that scoring, and if we DON'T make the playoffs then it's all irrelevant anyway.

Personally I think all we need is to have a big body on the court at all times. As long as Collins and/or Fab Melo can come off the bench and back up KG for 20 minutes at the center spot, I think that's all we need in order to win games.  So far it's worked well, and we've won by an average of 13 points over the two games since we've gone to that lineup.  Lets give it some time and see how it plays out before we trade away our third best scorer and cripple our entire offense.

Ah yes, Lee is struggling with his shot... not only does he have the highest FG% after Rondo from our guard/wing positions, shooting a career high 48% from the field, he's shooting over 50% from the field in the last 17 games since December.

Lets say Boston have Lee on one corner, Terry on the other corner, and the opposing team wants to double Pierce.

Do you think the opponent would rather leave Terry open or Lee?  I guarantee you they keep a body on Terry and leave Lee open if they had to make that choice.

Lee might be shooting 'better' over his recent stretch, but he is shooting 32% from three for the season.  For the season Lee is shooting 35% on corner threes and 29% on above the break threes, neither figure is scary enough to scare opposing teams into overplaying him.  His overall FG% is high because he's scoring very efectively off layups and from midrange, but his three point shot has been shaky to the point where every time he takes a three I cringe.  To add to this I've watched pretty much every game this season, and almost every single three Lee's taken has been wide open.  He very rarely shoots from three if he's contested and will generally pass the ball. 

Terry is shooting 38% from three for the season.  He is shooting 41% on corner threes and 36% on above the break threes.  Both of those figures are solid.  He has a well known reputation as a three point shooter and a back-breaker in the clutch and opposing teams will always respect his shot and keep a defender on him.  This spreads the defense and gives guys like Rondo, Lee, Barbosa and Bradley opportunities to cut to the basket.  Many of Terry's three-point shots have also been contested, yet he's still shooting a higher percentage than Lee for the season.

Terry also takes far more attempts than Lee.  Terry is attempting 5.5 Three Pointers per 36 minutes, while Lee is attempting 2.3 attempts per 36 minutes.  If Lee were taking twice as many attempts as Terry I'm guessing his percentage for the season would be more like 26% rather than 32%.

So despite the fact that Terry is taking twice as many attempts, gets more defensive attention and takes more contested shots, he's still shooting at a significantly higher percentage for the season than Lee is from the three point line.

The fact that Lee has shot as well from three as Jeff Green (both at 32%) this season should tell you all you need to know.  Both of those are guys who are capable of hitting the three, but they aren't the guys you want taking that shot when the game is on the line.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:27:53 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 02:03:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

We have been a pretty successful team over the past 5 seasons, do you recall who our backup centers were?

2007-2008: PJ Brown / Brian Scalabrine
2008-2009: Brian Scalabrine / Mikki Moore
2009-2010: Rasheed Wallace / Brian Scalabrine
2010-2011: Glenn Davis (Shaq, JO, Krstic all had injuries)
2011-2012: Greg Stiemsma / Ryan Hollins

Do they look like teams that had outstanding backup centers to you?

On the other hand we have ALWAYS had multiple outside shooting threats.  Obviously we had Pierce (as with now) but we also had:

* In 2008 Ray, Posey and Eddie House
* In 2009 Ray and Eddie House
* In 2010 Ray, Eddie House and Rasheed Wallace
* In 2011 Ray, Nate Robinson, Delonte West, Sasa Pavlovic,
* in 2012 Ray, Mickeal Pietrus, Sasha Pavlovic

Ray Allen was the #1 guy as a shooter who defenses needed to pay attention to.  No defense would ever dream of leaving him open. 

Second tier shooters were Eddie House, Nate Robinson, Rasheed, Pavlovic, Pietrus.  These uys are no Ray Allen, but if they are streak shooters who can kill you from three if they get hot. You need to keep an eye on them.

This season Terry is like our Ray Allen equivalent.  He's the guy that opposing defenses will always put a body on becuase he has an exceptional history as a three point shooter, and his reputation along draws defenders out. 

Our second tier of shooters basically comes down to Barbosa - he's no pure shooter, but he's streaky and can kill you when he's hot (much like Eddie House). He's also only averaged 5 minutes per game over our last 8 games

Then we have Green, Bradley and Lee who are all third Tier shooters.  Everyone knows these guys can hit the open three, but you aren't going to break a sweat about closing out on them because none of those guys are shooting over 32% for the season from three.  In fact you almost WANT these guys to take a three, because they are far more dangerous from midrange (Lee, Bradley) or off the dribble (Green).   

You need to consider that Terry has been top 15 or top 20 in the NBA in clutch scoring over the past several seasons.  If we make the playoffs we are going to desperately need that scoring, and if we DON'T make the playoffs then it's all irrelevant anyway.

Personally I think all we need is to have a big body on the court at all times. As long as Collins and/or Fab Melo can come off the bench and back up KG for 20 minutes at the center spot, I think that's all we need in order to win games.  So far it's worked well, and we've won by an average of 13 points over the two games since we've gone to that lineup.  Lets give it some time and see how it plays out before we trade away our third best scorer and cripple our entire offense.

Lets say Boston have Lee on one corner, Terry on the other corner, and the opposing team wants to double Pierce.

Do you think the opponent would rather leave Terry open or Lee?  I guarantee you they keep a body on Terry and leave Lee open if they had to make that choice.

Lee might be shooting 'better' over his recent stretch, but he is shooting 32% from three for the season.  For the season Lee is shooting 35% on corner threes and 29% on above the break threes, neither figure is scary enough to scare opposing teams into overplaying him.  His overall FG% is high because he's scoring very efectively off layups and from midrange, but his three point shot has been shaky to the point where every time he takes a three I cringe.  To add to this I've watched pretty much every game this season, and almost every single three Lee's taken has been wide open.  He very rarely shoots from three if he's contested and will generally pass the ball. 

Terry is shooting 38% from three for the season.  He is shooting 41% on corner threes and 36% on above the break threes.  Both of those figures are solid.  He has a well known reputation as a three point shooter and a back-breaker in the clutch and opposing teams will always respect his shot and keep a defender on him.  This spreads the defense and gives guys like Rondo, Lee, Barbosa and Bradley opportunities to cut to the basket.  Many of Terry's three-point shots have also been contested, yet he's still shooting a higher percentage than Lee for the season.

Terry also takes far more attempts than Lee.  Terry is attempting 5.5 Three Pointers per 36 minutes, while Lee is attempting 2.3 attempts per 36 minutes.  If Lee were taking twice as many attempts as Terry I'm guessing his percentage for the season would be more like 26% rather than 32%.

So despite the fact that Terry is taking twice as many attempts, gets more defensive attention and takes more contested shots, he's still shooting at a significantly higher percentage for the season than Lee is from the three point line.

The fact that Lee has shot as well from three as Jeff Green (both at 32%) this season should tell you all you need to know.  Both of those are guys who are capable of hitting the three, but they aren't the guys you want taking that shot when the game is on the line.
I'm not talking about acquiring a back up center for Terry but a starter. I'm talking about moving Terry in an effort to get Milsap, Jefferson, Varejao, Gortat, Cousins, or Nene. We've been good lately but we've never had someone paired next to KG as good as anyone on that list.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 02:11:56 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
This team better not start playing with my heart....go one way or the other

Amen.  They have a little momentum going now and let's hope they can keep it rolling.  Keep things in perspective and take it one game at a time.  It's a 2 game winning streak.  If they go on a 2 or 3 game losing streak then some people will be calling for a roster blow-up.  Be happy with the win, but it is just small part of the bigger picture.  As I said, let's hope this can be the start of a good run for the team, something they can build off of.

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 02:24:04 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

On NBA league pass, where you have to sit through 4 of the same NBA cares ads every timeout.

Thanks! TP for the help.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 03:35:14 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Just watched the replay (on League Pass...but if you wait long enough, e.g. about 5-6 hours, the ads are taken out, and it plays fairly quick....I live in Shanghai, so I watch my day time...).

Great come back win - surprised actually after watching the 1st half.  The key?  Of course Paul got hot, but Defense, with a capital D.   Even the Hawks announcers acknowledged it...the Cs were swarming the offensive player.  Plus, putting Bradley on Lou helped a lot (Rondo still lets his guy get past him too much).   Very nice win, perhaps the best of the season....

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 06:43:01 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Does everyone realize that the Cs held the Hawks to 50 points over the last THREE quarters?

They gave up only 75 points to Indiana the previous game.

If you go back to the 4th quarter of the Memphis game, the Celtics are giving up an average of 19 points a quarter.

Even including the entire Memphis game, the Cs have given up an average of 83 points over the last 3 games.

I TOLD YOU AVERY BRADLEY WOULD CHANGE THIS TEAM