Author Topic: Celtics (15-17) at Hawks (20-11) 1/5  (Read 49932 times)

Celtics (15-17) at Hawks (20-11) 1/5
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:43:48 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at    

Boston Celtics (15-17) at Atlanta Hawks (20-11)
Saturday, January 5, 2013
7:00 PM ET
Game #33  Road Game #17
TV:  CSNNE,  SPSO, NBAC, NBA-LP 751(BOS)/752(ATL)
Radio:  WEEI,  WCNN
Philips Arena 

Probable Starting Matchups

Point Guard
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jeff Teague 

Shooting Guard
vs 
Avery Bradley  vs Lou Williams

Small Forward 
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Kyle Korver

Power Forward 
  vs 
Brandon Bass vs Josh Smith

Center
  vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Al Horford 

Celtics Reserves
Jared Sullinger
Jason Collins
Jeff Green
Courtney Lee
Jarvis Varnado
Leandro Barbosa
Jason Terry

Injuries
Chris Wilcox (thumb) out
Fab Melo (concussion) out

Red Claws

Kris Joseph

Hawks Reserves
John Jenkins
Zaza Pahculia
Ivan Johnson
Anthony Tolliver
Mike Scott
DeShawn Stevenson

Injuries
Anthony Morrow (hip) questionable
Johan Petro (flu) questionable
Devin Harris (foot) questionable

Team Connections
Josh Smith and Rajon Rondo both attended Oak Hill Academy…
Doc Rivers played for Atlanta from 1983-91
Rivers also holds the Hawks record for most assists in a career as a Hawk (3,866)
Celtics Assistant Coach Armond Hill played for the Hawks from 1976-80 and also during the 1983-84 season
Hawks Assistant Coach Lester Conner was an Assistant Coach with the Celtics from 1998-2004
Jason Collins played for Atlanta from 2009-12
Courtney Lee and Devin Harris were teammates in New Jersey during the 2008-09 season
Jason Terry and Devin Harris were teammates in Dallas from 2004-08
DeShawn Stevenson and Jason Terry were teammates in Dallas from 2009-11
Chris Wilcox and Johan Petro were teammates in Seattle and Oklahoma City from 2005-09
Celtics Assistant Coach Tyronn Lue played for Atlanta from 2004-08.

Key Matchups
  vs 
Brandon Bass vs Josh Smith
Smith is a very athletic and quick power forward and  Brandon must box out and keep Smith off the boards along with slowing him down on offense.  Smith is an average defender, though and so Bass should be able to get his shot off.  Smith is averaging 16.9 points and 8.3 rebounds per game so Bass will need to be aggressive on defense to keep Smith from having a big game. 

vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jeff Teague
Teague is a good point guard and is averaging 13.2 points and 6.7 assists per game.  Both are quick and both see the court well and so this should be a fun matchup to watch.  Rondo played aggressively on both ends of the court against the Pacers.  Hopefully he brings that same aggression to this game. 

Honorable Mention
Kevin Garnett vs Al Horford
 With KG's move back to center, he will be matched up with Al Horford.  is playing very well, averaging 16.0 points and 9.6 rebounds per game.  KG played a very aggressive and physical game against the Pacers and hopefully he will have enough in the tank to do the same vs Horford.   

Game Notes

The Celtics travel to Atlanta to take on the Hawks in the first of 4 meetings this season.   The Celtics are coming off an impressive win over the Pacers at home while the Hawks are coming off an 85-84 loss to Detroit at home.  Both teams are playing in the second of back to back games.  The Hawks are a league best 7-1 in back to back games.  The Celtics.... not so much.

Boston won the series 2-1 last season but all 3 games were close.  The Celtics won by 3 points and by 2 points in overtime while the Hawks won their game by 5.  Every game between these two teams seems to end up being chippy.  There is no love lost between them, that is for sure. 

Some of the faces have changed since last season.  Joe Johnson is no longer there to catch on fire in the 4th quarter.  Jason Collins was their starting center when the Celtics last played them in the regular season.   The Celtics finally have their starting 5 back from last year and they looked good in the Pacers game but consistency has been a problem for them all year long. 

The Hawks are a good road team with an 11-5 record at Phillips Arena.  The Celtics have been the opposite on the road with a 5-11 record away from the Garden.  The Celtics are now 3-7 in their last 10 games while the Hawks are 6-4 in their last 10. 

The Celtics are back into 8th in the East (3rd in the Atlantic), one game ahead of the Sixers who lost last night.  Atlanta is 3rd in the East (2nd in the Southeast), 2 games behind Miami at the top. 

The Celtics showed that they are capable of playing tough defense from start to finish and playing a solid offensive game as well.  The big question is whether or not they can find some consistency and do it again in the next game.  They will need to if they want to beat this tough Atlanta team at home. 

Keys to the Game

Defense -  Defense is key to every win.  The Celtics need to play tough team defense.  We saw that the Celtics are capable of playing that type of defense in the Pacers game but can they do it 2 nights in a row?   They have to guard the perimeter as the Hawks have good 3 point shooters who can kill a team from out there.   They also have to defend the paint because players like Smith, Horford and Pachulia can get to the hoop and score there, especially on tip ins. 

Rebound - The Celtics must make an effort to go after rebounds.  They must box out and prevent tip ins and to prevent the Hawks from getting second chance baskets.  The Hawks are a good rebounding team, but not great as they rank 23rd in the league in that category.  The Celtics showed against the Pacers, who are a great rebounding team, that when they put out the effort,  they can hold their own on the boards. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to go after rebounds and loose balls.  They must be aggressive in going to the basket and not settle for jumpers.  They also have to be aggressive on defense and get stops. We saw all of this in the Pacers game.  Hopefully they will bring it again in this game. 

Bench Play - The Celtics got 39 points from their bench in their win over the Pacers.  Lee and Barbosa shot the ball very well. Terry and Green still struggled with their shot and hopefully they can snap out of their slumps just as Lee seems to have done.   Sully was just 2-7 but he got to the line for 6 free throws.  He was once again aggressive on the boards, grabbing 10 rebounds and that is important.  The Celtics need production from their bench because the starters can't do it alone. 

X-Factor
Back to Back on the Road
Both teams are playing in back to back games.  The Hawks are a younger team and were at home for both games while the Celtics needed to travel after their win.  Can the Celtics bring the same intensity two games in a row?   

Re: Celtics (15-17) at Hawks (20-11) 1/5
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am glad that (1) Avery Bradley back to defend Lou Williams who is a very explosive scorer off the dribble for Atlanta, and, (2) Doc has gone back to Garnett at center alongside Bass who matchup so much better with Horford and J.Smith than the old slow Collins-Garnett combo.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Paul Pierce is going to be able to beat the crap out of Kyle Korver.

No way Korver can cover Pierce. I am expecting a big game from Pierce. Atlanta have nobody on their bench, no wing with size and defensive ability, who can cover Jeff Green either so J.Green should have a big impact too.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:43:22 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Paul Pierce is going to be able to beat the crap out of Kyle Korver.

No way Korver can cover Pierce. I am expecting a big game from Pierce. Atlanta have nobody on their bench, no wing with size and defensive ability, who can cover Jeff Green either so J.Green should have a big impact too.

This man speaks of the truth and the truth TP

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:32 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I want the old Pierce, not the old Pierce. ;)
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Hope that the energy from last night carries over. Now would be a great time for the Celtics to get hot.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
ya, C's have a BIG advantage offensively at the SF spot...I hope to see them go at Korver with Pierce/Green often.

and hopefully Bradley can shut down Lou williams

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
my worry is that bass will not be able to defend smith well. i think that doc will play green against smith for quite a few minutes.

plus, the celtics bench of sully and green should be able to score and rebound against the hawks bench.

tp for the thread and....

go celtics!!!  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
The Celtics REALLY REALLY REALLY need this game...  to get back to 500 ball  and to instill confidence they righting the ship.

I need it as fan... ;)

More effort from Green and Bass and another decent nice effort like last night from Lee and the C's might make a good showing.

I guess we'll see if Sully and Collins can put some sort of clamp on Horford and not let him run wild.

Have to Hope Smith is having an OFF night.  :-X

BTW...Just got a suspecious feeling KG is gonna be more reved-up than normal.   ;)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 01:15:28 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm glad to have another game to watch tonight especially with Football season winding down.  This game is gonna be won in the trenches.  We're gonna have to out rebound and open up space on the floor to beat these guys tonight.  I look for a layoff, but I'm hoping the win last night was a spark.  Prediction:  I look for bass to have a big night.

2013 predictions:  1-0 ;D

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Expect KG to be fired up. Especially against Pachulia.

Let's go Celtics!

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Even though he's undersized, I love Lou Williams at the 2.  The guy is a flat-out scorer, and I think it creates mis-matches for opposition.  Do we want Bradley pressuring Teague up the floor, or do we want him on Atlanta's best shot creator?  Tough decision.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Even though he's undersized, I love Lou Williams at the 2.  The guy is a flat-out scorer, and I think it creates mis-matches for opposition.  Do we want Bradley pressuring Teague up the floor, or do we want him on Atlanta's best shot creator?  Tough decision.

I like Bradley on Teague. Make them take longer to get into their offense. Fewer seconds on the shot clock really helps our D.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
The Hawks have been playing lights out this year. I've been home for the holidays. That allows me to watch all of the Hawks games being as they run for this region. They won't lie down for the C's anymore and could easily take this game. Color me worried as ****.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I like Bradley on Teague. Make them take longer to get into their offense. Fewer seconds on the shot clock really helps our D.

Both players are capable ball handlers.  I suspect whoever is being guarded by Bradley, the other will handle the ball.  Tegaue is a little quicker.