Author Topic: 2012 drafted rookies ranking so far  (Read 16108 times)

Re: 2012 drafted rookies ranking so far
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 02:51:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I've got

1) Davis
2) Lilliard
3) Drummond
4) Waiters
5) Barnes

With Sully around 10; ahead of Leonard, Nicholson and Zeller but behind Ezeli & Ross.  Really glad we didnt end up with Rivers or White...

Sneaky sleeper from this class could be Harkless

Its your opinion, but imo no way Waiters is better than Barnes or Ross. Waiters has been a big time hog so far. He is shooting 7 for 20, 5 for 15 , more frequently than 6-8, 5-7 etc.  He can score no doubt, but right now either he is not playing correctly or being played correctly.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:07 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Yeah efficiency is important.  To me Waiters just has that scorers gene, reminds me a lot of Harden.  Ross & Barnes are both solid but I don't think either could ever be their teams 1a

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 02:58:21 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I see Dummond as being better than Davis in the long run. I guess time will tell. His per 36 minutes numbers are better than Dwight Howard's during his rookie year.

Their rookie numbers:

DH: 13.2 pts, 11.1 rbs, 1.8 blks, .52 FG% with 104 pts allowed per 100 possessions.

AD: 12.9 pts, 13.3 rbs, 2.8 blks, .58 FG% with 98 pts allowed per 100 possessions.

Davis: 15.9 pts, 9.8 rbs, 2.3 blks, .48 FG% with 105 points allowed per 100 possessions.

KG: 13.1 pts, 7.9, rbs, 2.1 blks, .49 FG%, with 107 pts allowed per 100 possessions.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If you've got Davis at anything but #1, and you're going on potential, I think you're vastly under rating his defensive potential. We're talking KG like difference here long-term. He'll block 2 shots but alter 50, just by being on the court. Plus, he's maybe the highest IQ and character guy we've seen since Derrick Rose.

If you're going by on-court performance, you can justify Lillard, but also Davis. As a starter in November he averaged 15 and 9 with 2.7 blocks in just 28 minutes per game.

Yeah but in the end of the day, where is NO at in the standings?? Where is Portland at?? Its not all on Davis, but i bet you switch Davis with Lillard and NO does better. Lillard is the only 2012 drafted rookie that has a chance to play at the all star game this year

Lillard has a more mature body and elite offensive skills. His defense is also quite good. On the other hand Davis offensive skills doesn't match his elite defensive capabilities. Also his scrawny body is of a concern. How much weight will he be able to put on?? It took KG years to build a strong body. And then there are guys like Mikki Moore who could never get strong.

This being said, if we went back on draft day , i still take Davis. But as of right now, Lillard is the best player out of the 2012 draft class so far.

The intention of this thread is to rank, best performance so far (75%) and glimpse of potential (25%).

Eh, I still take Davis. He had an early minor injury that he tried to play through and failed, then had to play his way back. If he stays healthy, I bet he still takes ROY.

And that's not taking anything away from Lillard. I wasn't a believer in him, but so many people talked him up that I took him in the 5th round of my big money keeper league (along with Davis in the 4th, suckers!), and he's better than advertised.

I just think by the end of things, you're gonna see Davis's 16 points 9 boards and ~3 blocks in less minutes be the better candidate.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is the way i see it so far. If anyone from Portland be representing the all star game it will be Lillard. Amazing what he has been able to do in his first year. Drummond lately has been on fire. Averaging 10 points , 10 rebounds, 2 to 3 blocks a game. Sully and Ezeli have been the two biggest steals of the draft so far.

1.   Damian Lillard
2.   Andre Drummond
3.   Anthony Davis
4.   Harrison Barnes
5.   Terence Ross
6.   MKG
7.   Bradley Beal
8.   Jared Sullinger
9.   Festus Ezeli
10.   Tyler Zeller
11.   Dion Waiters
12.   Andrew Nicholson
13.   Meyers Leonard
14.   Draymond Green
15.   Thomas Robinson
At the very least I put Singler and Val ahead of Festus. I don't see how Ross can be ahead of Beal or MKG or Waiters or Nicholson. You have to put Shved in the area of Beal also.  I think Harkless and Taylor have to get some credit for making meaningful starts.  I also think there are some rookies out there that are being horridly underused on teams with a lack of production even thought they did well in the D League. Fab Melo is one. Jared Cunningham is another

Oh. I see the title says "drafted rookies".   So Shved, Mirza, Chris Copeland, and Brian Roberts are ineligible. Oh. I also see it says 2012. So Singler, Freeland, and Val are also ineligible as is Donatas M
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:16:30 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Shved's been playing very well for Minny. Mirza, Donutz, etc... notsomuch, right?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
(1) Davis
(2) Lillard
(3) Barnes
(4) MKG
(5) Ezeli
(6) Drummond
(7) Ross
[8] Sully

If we're talking performance to date, why Ezeli over Drummond?

Ezeli is starting for a good team, so he gets props for that, but I think if you put Drummond on the Warriors they'd be even better, with Drummond providing better production.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Strictly in terms of performance to date, I think you have to go with Lillard so far.  Davis has only played in 19 games, and he gets dinged for that.

By the end of the season, though, I expect Davis to have overtaken Lillard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
(1) Davis
(2) Lillard
(3) Barnes
(4) MKG
(5) Ezeli
(6) Drummond
(7) Ross
[8] Sully

Ezeli is starting for a good team, so he gets props for that, but I think if you put Drummond on the Warriors they'd be even better, with Drummond providing better production.
Defense

Ezeli plays like no rookie defensively. One of the most accomplished rookie interior defenders I can remember in a long time. Maybe since Tim Duncan. Andre Drummond is still quite raw defensively. He can make a lot of plays on the ball but he's still learning the basics. Only around average or a bit below average defensively.

The Warriors would not be better with Drummond in Ezeli's place. The Pistons would be better with Ezeli in Drummond's place.

No comparison between the potential of the two players but for now Ezeli is the better player solely because his defense is so much more advanced than Drummond's.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
1. Lillard
2. Davis
3. Barnes
4. Drummond
5. MKG
6. Ezeli
7. Waiters
8. Sully
9. Leonard
10. Nicholson

That's for right now.  By the end of the season, Davis will win ROY.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
(1) Davis
(2) Lillard
(3) Barnes
(4) MKG
(5) Ezeli
(6) Drummond
(7) Ross
[8] Sully

Defense

Ezeli plays like no rookie defensively. One of the most accomplished rookie interior defenders I can remember in a long time. Maybe since Tim Duncan. Andre Drummond is still quite raw defensively. He can make a lot of plays on the ball but he's still learning the basics. Only around average or a bit below average defensively.

The Warriors would not be better with Drummond in Ezeli's place. The Pistons would be better with Ezeli in Drummond's place.

No comparison between the potential of the two players but for now Ezeli is the better player solely because his defense is so much more advanced than Drummond's.

In terms of points allowed per opponents' possession, both guys are above average this season, and are separated by only .03 points allowed per possession (.84 Drummond vs. .81 Ezeli).  Drummond's defensive rating of 97 is better than Ezeli's 101 (although I'm not a huge fan of this stat).

When Drummond is on the floor, the Pistons are +8.0 points per 48 minutes better than when he is on the bench.  The Warriors are actually 4.2 points per 48 minutes *worse* with Ezeli.

I haven't watched either player play a ton this season, but statistically, Drummond seems to have a clear advantage.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
1. Lillard
2. Davis
3. Barnes
4. Drummond
5. MKG
6. Ezeli
7. Waiters
8. Sully
9. Leonard
10. Nicholson

No Beal?

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
1. Lillard
2. Davis
3. Barnes
4. Drummond
5. MKG
6. Ezeli
7. Waiters
8. Sully
9. Leonard
10. Nicholson

No Beal?

Barnes doesn't belong on that list yet. He's supposed to be a shooter, and he's at 50% TS%, quite bad. He should get better, but right now it's just not there yet. 11.11 PER for an offensive player is quite bad. He should be last on the list or not at all, and there's definitely no way drummond and MKG are behind him.

Valenciunas is doing solid work though.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
1. Lillard
2. Davis
3. Barnes
4. Drummond
5. MKG
6. Ezeli
7. Waiters
8. Sully
9. Leonard
10. Nicholson

No Beal?

Beal had a rough start. Like the way Sully was  standing up to West. Some of those on the list may have more upside than Sully on the list; but he has shown a lot grit and poise for a rookie.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lillard's been the best rookie this season so far but still think Davis will end up being the best of this crop.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team