Author Topic: Courtney Lee, where's the love?  (Read 15295 times)

Re: Courtney Lee, where's the love?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 07:15:58 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Mike Gorman was raving about him on the telecast, saying it was his best game as a Celtic.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
he was nice last night

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 08:33:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he always plays hard, last night he finally made enough shots .   
He usually has good energy , and even better energy when Rondo and AB are in high gear.

Lee sort of has had a monkey on his back,  until last night he was having a hard time putting a complete game together.  SOmetimes it seems the harder he tried the worse things worked out. At some point , he has to throw that monkey off for good and get back on track. Hope it was last night.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Lee is fast and doesn't seem to mind playing defense.  He has good shot selection and appears to a have a good sense about when to be more aggressive about looking for his shot.  I think he has been a little slow to get the offensive and defensive rotations but that is coming around.  He is getting better and certainly appears to be growing into a nice player for us.

So now the other question, trade Lee or Terry?  If we are still a win now team (and I think we are), Terry is more valuable.  He is much more likely to be the guy to have a big game and win us a playoff game this year (at least I believe he is).  If a team is building for the future (which we are kind of trying to do as well) you keep Lee.

So which are we?

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
he's ironically looked better since Bradley came back and will find a more defined role...I'm starting to compare it to Aqib Talib coming to the patriots and other guys in the secondary falling into place..Hopeful it continues but frankly lee has still underperformed when you consider the expectations people had around here for him so I'm not about to gush and praise over him just yet..maybe he was embarrassed when a21 year old coming off double shoulder surgery came back and instantly had more impact when lee should all along had similar impact

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Lee is fast and doesn't seem to mind playing defense.  He has good shot selection and appears to a have a good sense about when to be more aggressive about looking for his shot.  I think he has been a little slow to get the offensive and defensive rotations but that is coming around.  He is getting better and certainly appears to be growing into a nice player for us.

So now the other question, trade Lee or Terry?  If we are still a win now team (and I think we are), Terry is more valuable.  He is much more likely to be the guy to have a big game and win us a playoff game this year (at least I believe he is).  If a team is building for the future (which we are kind of trying to do as well) you keep Lee.

So which are we?

Lee is more valuable to us, sorry. Terry's role for this team, and value is limited to the back-up PG role. He really has little value for us as a SG, so I'd take Lee who can play well alongside any other player we have on our roster. With Terry you have to be careful with who you're playing him with, and with whom you're playing him against. Also, he doesn't have good chemistry with Rondo both offensively and defensively.

So if a trade needs to happen, and I'd have to choose between Terry and Lee, I'd trade Terry without giving it a second thought.

he always plays hard, last night he finally made enough shots .   
He usually has good energy , and even better energy when Rondo and AB are in high gear.

Lee sort of has had a monkey on his back,  until last night he was having a hard time putting a complete game together.  SOmetimes it seems the harder he tried the worse things worked out. At some point , he has to throw that monkey off for good and get back on track. Hope it was last night.

I don't know about "finally made enough shots", I think it's more of a situation were he was given more opportunities to score, which incidentally was a direct consequence of the team playing like it should, with good energy and with a faster pace.

He's been shooting the ball really well for more than a month now. In December he was shooting 51% from the field until that final 0-6 game. In the last 16 games, he's shooting 50% from the field, and for the season he's shooting a career high 48% so far, which is 2nd best for our team behind Rondo for our wing/guard players.

His 3-point shot is not all there yet, but it's coming steadily. As it is, he's shooting it well enough, just not at the level he was expected to, particularly from the corner.

Mike Gorman was raving about him on the telecast, saying it was his best game as a Celtic.

That's good to know, probably the only one that mentioned him last night :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:44:30 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
he's ironically looked better since Bradley came back and will find a more defined role...I'm starting to compare it to Aqib Talib coming to the patriots and other guys in the secondary falling into place..Hopeful it continues but frankly lee has still underperformed when you consider the expectations people had around here for him so I'm not about to gush and praise over him just yet

So playing hard, with solid defense, and shooting career high FG% on the limited role he's been given is underpeforming?

I think you're stuck on November, and our team's struggles in the latter parts of December have blinded you to how Lee has been playing.

He's been good for us, Doc and our PGs just need to make better use of him. They don't run plays for him, we've been playing half-court basketball too much.

He's a good role player.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
he's ironically looked better since Bradley came back and will find a more defined role...I'm starting to compare it to Aqib Talib coming to the patriots and other guys in the secondary falling into place..Hopeful it continues but frankly lee has still underperformed when you consider the expectations people had around here for him so I'm not about to gush and praise over him just yet

So playing hard, with solid defense, and shooting career high FG% on the limited role he's been given is underpeforming?

I think you're stuck on November, and our team's struggles in the latter parts of December have blinded you to how Lee has been playing.

He's been good for us, Doc and our PGs just need to make better use of him. They don't run plays for him, we've been playing half-court basketball too much.

He's a good role player.

yup and the hype surrounding the signing I've expected at the very least what he's been giving us and more  so hopefully it continues

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So which one of Lee or Terry would people prefer to trade?

I leaning Terry, at the moment.  His contract is likely more easily moveable.  Not sure which player would net a better return though.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I leaning Terry, at the moment.  His contract is likely more easily moveable.  Not sure which player would net a better return though.

You trade none, unless you really need to. And if that happens, I hope its Terry or Barbosa that goes.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Lee has been pretty close to what I expected, other than his offensive shooting, which should improve.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

You trade none, unless you really need to. And if that happens, I hope its Terry or Barbosa that goes.

One of them HAS to go.  Won't be enough minutes come playoff time, plus, added minutes for the player that stays might very well result in an uptick in their level of play.  Many bench players need consistent minutes.

We really need to remove some of the redundancy from our roster and get the best player we can by trade.  Most preferrable would be a C or upgrade at PF over Bass/Sully.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

One of them HAS to go.  Won't be enough minutes come playoff time, plus, added minutes for the player that stays might very well result in an uptick in their level of play.  Many bench players need consistent minutes.

We really need to remove some of the redundancy from our roster and get the best player we can by trade.  Most preferrable would be a C or upgrade at PF over Bass/Sully.

I don't see much redundancy. You use Terry strictly as a back-up PG. Redundancy is overrated until you actually need it. I guess depth is another word for it.

Now Bass and Sully, now that's real redundance because they can't play together.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:16:12 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I don't see much redundancy. You use Terry strictly as a back-up PG. Redundancy is overrated until you actually need it. I guess depth is another word for it.

Call it what you will, it's just a matter of semantics.

When you have excess in one or two areas, and a glaring hole in another, you try to parlay the excesses into pieces that plug the hole.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I was with you up to the last word of your post.  Don't trade Sully, you will regret it.

The rest of your post makes perfect sense. Barbosa is buried on the bench and could help more.  Ideally I would trade Terry in a package to bring back a front court player.