Author Topic: Over/Under till Sully starts?  (Read 9203 times)

Re: Over/Under till Sully starts?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 10:12:04 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Hopefully not until sometime after January 15th, when Green and Bass can be traded.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Kevin Garnett might be a top-five defender if we consider every NBA big over the past 25 years -- that's how special he is. He's still almost at the top of his game on that end and probably the best help defender in basketball (though Joakim Noah is closing fast). Sullinger, though, is proving to be almost as good on defense for the Celtics as KG, a fact that gets lost because so many of their teammates are not on their level.
Haha I knew this guy was an idiot.  Three ridiculous things to say in a row.  KG is arguably a top 3 defensive big over the past 60 years.  And give me Tyson Chandler, Serge Ibaka, or Dwight Howard as a help defender over Joakim Noah any day. 

The best:  Sullinger is almost good on defense as KG.  Do I need to say anything?  He's not even an average help defender.... and you're going to compare him to one of the best all time?  He's proven to be a decent man to man defender, but never makes rotations on time or provides any sense of help.  I mean, he's not as bad as Bass but that doesn't change the fact that he's easily near the bottom of the league.

I'm not sure how much you know about basketball if you don't think Sully is an awesome defender.  Stop watching the ball and just watch everything Sully does on defense for several possessions in a row.  He is constantly jumping to cover another guy's man while he recovers and then jumping back to his guy.  One after the other.  There is a reason he has started finishing games.

Now on the ball he is having some trouble with bigger and more athletic guys shooting over him.  On the pick he hasn't been outstanding but at least he retreats faster than Bass or Collins but as a help defender he has been just about perfect.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, I can't see Sully starting anytime soon.

Bass and Sully are STILL redundant players.  I'd much prefer to trade one or the other (hopefully Bass).  Sullinger 's trade value might be rising though.

Either way, we need to continue to start Bass to keep his value up.  Bass seems to be less engaged off the bench.  Don't think he likes playing behind Sully or Collins.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 11:01:05 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Trade Bass if you can for just about any big who can give you good minutes. If the player not in future plans, then an expiring contract to guarantee mid level next year.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Trade Bass if you can for just about any big who can give you good minutes. If the player not in future plans, then an expiring contract to guarantee mid level next year.
Bass is a "big who can give you good minutes".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Who can play effectively as a center. Better?

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The problem is, you have to give something to get something.

If the Celtics really expect to get an uprgrade at either the C/PF position, Sully might have to be the bait.  It just better be a player who will actually have a significant impact.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

The problem is, you have to give something to get something.

If the Celtics really expect to get an uprgrade at either the C/PF position, Sully might have to be the bait.  It just better be a player who will actually have a significant impact.

Personally, I'm not looking for the home run trade most around here are looking for. I want competent size. With that, use Wilcox when he comes back more particularly as a PF alongside KG.

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think the way they are playing him now is close to the best way. I think bringing him off the bench is the way to go. Bass has given us nothing off the bench this year but played much better with the starters. So for the team it is better for Sully to come off the bench.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think it's become abundantly clear to Doc and the coaching staff that Sullinger is already a much better player than Brandon Bass. But until he get's the foul thing in order i think he'll continue to come off the bench.

I'd give it another month. Maybe after he grabs 16 rebounds in the Rookie Sophomore game the refs will throw him some respect.  ;)

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

If by that you mean a guy who can't defend, can't catch a pass (he has horrible hands),  is a horrible passer and is petrified of shooting then sure.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 06:44:13 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Sully the Bully. This kid is going to be great, I hope the celtics keep him.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If by that you mean a guy who can't defend, can't catch a pass (he has horrible hands),  is a horrible passer and is petrified of shooting then sure.

That is stupid - Bass was very effective last year and he hasn't incurred any major decline in physical skills. All of these guys are on edge waiting to find out whether or not they are being traded. Bass isn't great and he may not be what we need right now, but he has proven that he fills his role effectively and he is far from horrible.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

All of these guys are on edge waiting to find out whether or not they are being traded.

That's a poor excuse for his struggles. He's struggled since the first game of the season (well, he played good in that game, but you get the point). You can't tell me he was worried all the way back there about being traded.

I think we should trade him though, but if we start playing well once again with him in the starting line-up, and Doc doesn't play him together with Sully, and he manages the big man rotation as he currently is when Wilcox returns too (Wilcox > Collins) then I have no problem with not doing anything on that regard, and simply look for a cheap pick-up.

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Kevin Garnett might be a top-five defender if we consider every NBA big over the past 25 years -- that's how special he is. He's still almost at the top of his game on that end and probably the best help defender in basketball (though Joakim Noah is closing fast). Sullinger, though, is proving to be almost as good on defense for the Celtics as KG, a fact that gets lost because so many of their teammates are not on their level.
Haha I knew this guy was an idiot.  Three ridiculous things to say in a row.  KG is arguably a top 3 defensive big over the past 60 years.  And give me Tyson Chandler, Serge Ibaka, or Dwight Howard as a help defender over Joakim Noah any day. 

The best:  Sullinger is almost good on defense as KG.  Do I need to say anything?  He's not even an average help defender.... and you're going to compare him to one of the best all time?  He's proven to be a decent man to man defender, but never makes rotations on time or provides any sense of help.  I mean, he's not as bad as Bass but that doesn't change the fact that he's easily near the bottom of the league.

I'm not sure how much you know about basketball if you don't think Sully is an awesome defender.  Stop watching the ball and just watch everything Sully does on defense for several possessions in a row.  He is constantly jumping to cover another guy's man while he recovers and then jumping back to his guy.  One after the other.  There is a reason he has started finishing games.

Now on the ball he is having some trouble with bigger and more athletic guys shooting over him.  On the pick he hasn't been outstanding but at least he retreats faster than Bass or Collins but as a help defender he has been just about perfect.
I never said he didn't run around and give the effort.  If he didn't he'd be in the D-League.  But watch some of the better help defenders in the league and tell me Sullinger does what they do. 

Yeah he finished the Sacramento game....   Bass was in foul trouble.  Maybe a couple others where Bass was cold and Doc wanted him to have some experience.  If Sullinger is a better rebounder AND near the top of the league in defense why the heck doesn't he have all of Bass's minutes?  Why is Bass averaging 6 minutes MORE?  Why did Doc completely stop giving Sullinger minutes at Center like he did to start the season?  Why isn't Doc raving about all the movement and aggression on the court like he did when Ryan freakin Hollins played with KG?  Why did Doc have to resort to one of the worst players in the league in Jason Collins because no big outside of KG was giving him anything on defense?

He started off the season as one of the worst help defenders in the league.  Of course he's gotten better, but let's look at this with even a shred of perspective.  I can't type this without laughing:  he's not almost as good as KG.  I guess that means I "don't know much about basketball."
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale