Author Topic: Washburn: celtics were arguing over defensive strategy and blame at halftime  (Read 7844 times)

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
And Terry especially wad a beast on defense in the second half.  His ball pressure was Avery Bradley-like, and anybody who watched the game would have noticed this.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
And Terry especially wad a beast on defense in the second half.  His ball pressure was Avery Bradley-like, and anybody who watched the game would have noticed this.

Agreed, his defense was excellent in the 2nd half, particularly in the 4th quarter.

Very much questioned Doc going with him over Lee, but it paid off, especially defensively. Though I think he got away with it because of Atlanta's 2 PG unit, and Terry has been solid defensively against PGs in my opinion this year.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm glad.  Whatever is gonna get these guys to focus.  Who cates if it goes public.  They've needed a fire lit under them all year and if it leads to getting rid of players who aren't all in then so be it.

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I'm glad we don't know names.  If we did, we'd consider the perpetrator(s) chemistry busters.  In fact, arguments happen on teams with good chemistry.  KG could easily have been among the frustrated.  This wasn't a bad thing -- unless you consider coming out of half-time with a vengance and taking over the game a bad thing.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Agreed, his defense was excellent in the 2nd half, particularly in the 4th quarter.

Very much questioned Doc going with him over Lee, but it paid off, especially defensively. Though I think he got away with it because of Atlanta's 2 PG unit, and Terry has been solid defensively against PGs in my opinion this year.
Terry really struggles with bigger guards, he does a much better job when he's not playing against players who just shoot over him or muscle right through him.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm glad we don't know names.  If we did, we'd consider the perpetrator(s) chemistry busters.  In fact, arguments happen on teams with good chemistry.  KG could easily have been among the frustrated.  This wasn't a bad thing -- unless you consider coming out of half-time with a vengance and taking over the game a bad thing.
Yeah it sounds like they were arguing over what adjustments they felt should be made, etc....

All normal stuff, no need to throw stones over it. Glad Pierce got everyone on the same page and that they responded to it. This sort of thing happens when teams are frustrated, hopefully they can get on a winning streak to rebuild the entire team's confidence.

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
In a bunch of possessions in the first half, ATL was kicking the ball over the place and it was rolling right to an open shooter.  When they did run their sets, everything they thre up was going in the hoop.

I would hope that some of the Celtics were frustrated at half time.  And I'm not surprised that cooler heads prevailed and they stuck tot heir game plan.  The Cs have been the est defensive team the past five seasons, and their system is proven.  Maybe the new guys will start to understand how to play Celtics basketball - 100% effort on defense, always ready to play help defense, and unselfish, move the ball offense where you take the open shot. 

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
To me the argument isn't interesting, because any team would argue after that 1st half. The point is that Doc trusts himself and the team enough to stick with the game plan, and Pierce does the same. That's a team moving in the right direction.

the arguing & finger pointing and especially, the disrespect to Doc bothers me a lot. if there are some chronic complainers on this team, they need to go.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce