Poll

Does anyone still think jeff green can become a decent player?

Yes
40 (60.6%)
No
26 (39.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Does anyone still think jeff green can become a decent player?  (Read 20943 times)

Re: Does anyone still think jeff green can become a decent player?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
He's a solid player - he's not a star player, but he's solid.

He's starting to play some really decent defense, his rebounding is steady improving, and his effort is looking much better.

He's just not scoring a million points because he's not getting the plays called for him, but he'll settle in fine.

Worth the contact no, but he's solid.

actually, he's pretty much the worst small forward in the whole nba this season.

click on this link, and go all the way to the bottom.  who do you think has the 3rd worst wins per 48 for ALL small forwards?:  http://www.thenbageek.com/players?direction=desc&positions%5B%5D=SF&sort=%22WP48%22
da hell is wins per 48? lol irrelevant stats stay gettin thrown around on here

actually, it's the best metric to figure out how good a player is.  pretty sure the san antonio spurs use it.  you just must not be aware of it, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

I voted yes, but not sure its going to happen in Boston.

IMHO JGreen is a starter.  Also, he is better facing the basket than he is posting up.  He is incredibly good when given the ball in the 3pt line top of the key area - and let him start the offense that way.

The way Doc uses Jeff G as a decoy in the corner is a waste of talent IMHO.

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Any per minute statistic is only good for trend reporting. Conclusions based on per minute stats are irrelevant.

For example, based on this season's WS48, Jason Kidd and Jose Calderon are in the top 3 best Point Guards. Forgive me, but Rondo is clearly better.

I like total win shares as a statistical measurement, it makes KG the best player in the post-Jordan (Bulls) era.

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
YES. he already is more than a decent player.

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I voted yes, but not sure its going to happen in Boston.

IMHO JGreen is a starter.  Also, he is better facing the basket than he is posting up.  He is incredibly good when given the ball in the 3pt line top of the key area - and let him start the offense that way.

The way Doc uses Jeff G as a decoy in the corner is a waste of talent IMHO.
i haven't voted but jeff as a sf on the box is just about unguardable if that is in fact a word
anyone realize he is averaging just under 10 pts a game in the flow of the game, hardly any plays are being called for him
he is part of the next group with avery, rondo and sully i'd say, sign a top notch free agent with pp and kg money coming off books and that is a club

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Any per minute statistic is only good for trend reporting. Conclusions based on per minute stats are irrelevant.

For example, based on this season's WS48, Jason Kidd and Jose Calderon are in the top 3 best Point Guards. Forgive me, but Rondo is clearly better.

I like total win shares as a statistical measurement, it makes KG the best player in the post-Jordan (Bulls) era.

yeah, i like win shares too, but as far as i understand it, it isn't fully fair because it gives the advantage to players who play lots of minutes, like john holingers per gives the advantage to those who take lots of shots.

actually, i totally think that if you were to look at rondo's position adjusted wins per 48 during last years playoffs he was actually pretty much the best player, with his paw48 being on par with lebrons. he was playing superstar level basketball.

i think during the regular season rondo has always backed off. every. single. year... and then in the playoffs he goes into overdrive. every. single. year. perhaps during the regular season kidd and calderon are playing better, but when it counts - rondo is actually as influential to a game as lebron.

and just by the by, i dont think it's a coincidence that new york start playing well the year they sign jason kidd.

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Jeff Green is a decent player.  In fact he is pretty much the player he has always been.  A solid sixth man/spot starter.  That is what he has been his entire career and he is producing at that rate again this year.  I have no idea where this notion that Jeff Green was going to be a superstar came from.  There is five years of stats that tell you that will never happen. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
And i have no idea why people think he was so much better in OKC.  Or why he would be so much better with more minutes.  Or so much better as a starter.  Or so much better after he heals from surgery.  Or so much better after he becomes more comfortable.  The list could go on and it's all ridiculous to me.

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Jeff Geen = Adam Morrison. Possibly <

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Trick question.

Jeff Green is a decent player. He is not a great player or even a very good player. He probably bobs somewhere between good and below average depending upon his variable effort and that overall equates to a decent player.

But he is getting paid to be more than decent and for some reason over half the people on this site expect him to be something that in 5 years in the league, he has never shown himself to be.

He is not a player to build a future team around.

He is not going to be any more productive on a per minute basis with more minutes.

He is not someone you want to initiate an offense or be the main weapon in an offense.

He is not someone that is going to give you even good rebounding numbers, or consistent defense, or consistent effort or consistent results.

He is what he is and that is a very incomplete player with an inconsistency that can be maddening.

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd rather have Harry Potter despite the notable disadvantage of being fictional

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
He will never get any better. Great win tonight and he again is a non-factor

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He needs to be traded. I would take back a bad contract or two to entice teams to grab him. He has almost a zero value right now. Its also sad to watch a player lack so much confidence as he does now. I do wish him well but i don't think it will be with us. Maybe with another team, he may do better.

One of the only trade that i think is possible right now would be

to GSW: Green + contract fill in

To Bos: Bidrins and Richard Jefferson

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Green is on the HOT seat for trading now I think...Melo has proven he is gonna be better with time.

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He needs to be traded. I would take back a bad contract or two to entice teams to grab him.

How do you feel about taking back John Salmons or Tyrus Thomas?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference