Author Topic: So what exactly is Rondo's perception around the league?  (Read 4251 times)

So what exactly is Rondo's perception around the league?
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Just curious because it is my impression that either people in New England either way over rate rondo and think he is a top 10 player and some people under value him and believe he is a selfish little punk.

How do you think the rest of the league values rondo?

I'm not saying we trade him but if I'm constantly seeing these trade rumors pop up and truth is rondo is the only piece we have that would bring back anything significant.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: So what exactly is Rondo's perception around the league?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think he is an eye of the beholder type guy.  There are GMs who would die to have him, and others who wouldn't touch him. 

...and really, thats the case with most second and third tier stars.  Once you get past the Lebrons, Howards, Durants, etc., you are talking about guys whose value will vary greatly from team to team. 

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Sadly, probably not as good as Celtics fans

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I believe they rated him as a starting level All Star PG.  That's gotta be at least close to a top 10 player.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I think he is an eye of the beholder type guy.  There are GMs who would die to have him, and others who wouldn't touch him. 

...and really, thats the case with most second and third tier stars.  Once you get past the Lebrons, Howards, Durants, etc., you are talking about guys whose value will vary greatly from team to team.

That's a great explanation.

One of the reasons I ask as well is you need to look at what Rondo was recently shopped for. It was heavily rumored that Danny tried to get Westbrook for Rondo and OKC wanted no part of it and it was apparent Danny had offered him for Chris Paul which I was somewhat suprised NO turned that down given what they ended up with. So I think that needs to be the starting point.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fans around the league who vote for the All-Star game seemingly view him a top-2 guard in the East, so there's that.

As for GMs, it's hard to say.  Last year he reportedly couldn't land Steph Curry, and Danny didn't have any luck offering him to other teams to build a package for Chris Paul.

I'd say Rondo is a top-20 player or so.  His prickliness probably bothers some teams, and is less of a factor for others.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Fans around the league who vote for the All-Star game seemingly view him a top-2 guard in the East, so there's that.

As for GMs, it's hard to say.  Last year he reportedly couldn't land Steph Curry, and Danny didn't have any luck offering him to other teams to build a package for Chris Paul.

I'd say Rondo is a top-20 player or so.  His prickliness probably bothers some teams, and is less of a factor for others.

True, I forgot he was offered for Curry...so that's at least three teams that have turned down the opportunity to acquire rondo
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

That's a great explanation.

One of the reasons I ask as well is you need to look at what Rondo was recently shopped for. It was heavily rumored that Danny tried to get Westbrook for Rondo and OKC wanted no part of it and it was apparent Danny had offered him for Chris Paul which I was somewhat suprised NO turned that down given what they ended up with. So I think that needs to be the starting point.

Right, and that is where the individual GMs come into play.

NOH GM hated Rondo.  Really had no interest in him, Chris Paul or no.  Then you have Petrie in Sacramento, who has been rumored to love Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

To be fair though, it wasn't necessarily saying that other teams didn't want him, just that they didn't want to give up the pieces that the Hornets wanted for Paul.

And its also important to note that the Warriors also wouldn't give up Curry for Paul.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

To be fair though, it wasn't necessarily saying that other teams didn't want him, just that they didn't want to give up the pieces that the Hornets wanted for Paul.

And its also important to note that the Warriors also wouldn't give up Curry for Paul.

True, I remember there being a lot of concerns about Paul's knees when he was on the block..too bad he wasn't wearing green how sweet that would be..

Either way, I wonder if we in New England over value rondo and what we could actually receive in a trade. I remember last year rumors were floating about Rondo to Indiana for Collison, Granger or George and Larry was not interested.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If I recall correctly, that was because Paul was refusing to agree to sign an extension with the Warriors.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

If I recall correctly, that was because Paul was refusing to agree to sign an extension with the Warriors.

True.  But it also suggests they were still VERY high on Curry (this was before Curry hurt his ankle again last year).

But it goes back to the same point.  The value for these guys is complicated, because each GM has their binkies, and the guys they inexplicably hate. 

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

True.  But it also suggests they were still VERY high on Curry (this was before Curry hurt his ankle again last year).

But it goes back to the same point.  The value for these guys is complicated, because each GM has their binkies, and the guys they inexplicably hate.

The other thing about that whole situation is that they turned down the best Rondo offer (involving Rondo and Green), while the GM was determined to make a deal to save his own skin by getting a bunch of veterans from the Lakers and Rockets.  The Rondo deal wasn't really on the table anymore by the time the Clippers deal happened, because Green had already been signed (at least we thought).

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
This year id put him in top 5 PG's

When he is on his game.... very few people i would take before him. He doesnt do it every night but when he does its like a mini magic

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
not sure around the league, but regarding fans, i say he is underrated nationally and overrated locally