Author Topic: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay  (Read 25902 times)

Re: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I know this has almost zero possibility of happening; however, if u are going to blow up this incarnation of the c's, I think this is a great way to do it.     4 way trade (bos, mem,  sac, tor). Really it's two separate trades.  Part 1 is a derivative of bill Simmons proposal.  part 2 is a straight up Pierce for Gay swap. 

Boston gets: Evans Cousins Bargnani Lowry Gay   

Mem gets: Pierce   

Sac gets: Rondo Melo   

Tor gets: Green Bradley 

Picks may have to be thrown in to sweeten things, and Toronto may not want Green. But Danny could remake the team overnight with young athletic talent around KG.

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
sorry if this link was already posted

Sources tell Grantland.com that Memphis has "made it known in preliminary talks with other teams that Rudy Gay could be available via trade."

The Grizzlies are 20-9 and Gay leads them in scoring at 18.0 points per game. But he's set to earn $37 million in the next two seasons and the Grizz are already $4 million over the luxury tax, hence the trade rumors. Still, we'd consider the odds of a deal going down very long. Teams won't be in a hurry to pay Gay's salary and the Grizz could very well decide to just saddle up and make a run at the title this year. They'll need their best pure scorer to do that.

Source: Grantland.com

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I know this has almost zero possibility of happening; however, if u are going to blow up this incarnation of the c's, I think this is a great way to do it.     4 way trade (bos, mem,  sac, tor). Really it's two separate trades.  Part 1 is a derivative of bill Simmons proposal.  part 2 is a straight up Pierce for Gay swap. 

Picks may have to be thrown in to sweeten things, and Toronto may not want Green. But Danny could remake the team overnight with young athletic talent around KG.

This is the most interesting blow up scenario, for sure. Can't see it happening, but I loved the idea. TP :)

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, this surprises me

Memphis has one of the best cores in the NBA...can't believe they'd be looking to break that up because of money.

Well anyway, I think Rudy would fit like a glove with what the Celtics need. An athletic wing, effective shooter, young and athletic who could help the Celts for the short term and long-tern.

Remember, this is what Jeff Green was suppose to be, but he's not even in Rudy's league.

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

This is the most interesting blow up scenario, for sure. Can't see it happening, but I loved the idea. TP :)
That's blowing it up but that team would stink! 7-8 seed possible lottery team.

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What are your thoughts on this trade?
To Cleveland: Rudy Gay, Kris Joseph
To Boston: Anderson Varejao
To Memphis: Jason Terry, Alonzo Gee, Fab Melo, First from Boston

Get’s Memphis under the tax, gives them an athletic 3 to replace Gay and the 3 point shooter that they sorely need.

I almost like it.  I don't like giving up Terry. His 3 point shot is going to be too important should the Celtics make the playoffs.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The quickness, athleticism and defensive energy of a Rajon Rondo + Avery Bradley + Rudy Gay perimeter trio would be a sight to see.

That defensive quickness would be exceptional.

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Pierce is better than Rudy Gay.

General rule of thumb for trades acquire THE best player in the trade. In this case Celtics will giving away the unequivocal best player in the trade.

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Hollinger is as tied to PER as many people believe.

I think that ESPN was tied to PER and that PER was a simple statistic that was easy for general readership to grasp and understand.

I think Hollinger has a much more varied mind when it comes to these things. I have vague memories of Hollinger talking about the limitations of PER as well as saying he wasn't able to put more complex mathematical analysis onto ESPN. That his role there and the role of PER was more of an introduction of mathematical analysis and basketball into mainstream media.

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
What are your thoughts on this trade?
To Cleveland: Rudy Gay, Kris Joseph
To Boston: Anderson Varejao
To Memphis: Jason Terry, Alonzo Gee, Fab Melo, First from Boston

Get’s Memphis under the tax, gives them an athletic 3 to replace Gay and the 3 point shooter that they sorely need.

I almost like it.  I don't like giving up Terry. His 3 point shot is going to be too important should the Celtics make the playoffs.
Thanks, Terry seems to need people to create for him at this point. I feel like we would be OK without him. I think Lee and Bradley will eventually hit and they can spread the floor.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 12:44:19 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
How about this trade?
To Boston: Gortat
To Phoenix: Rudy Gay, Jason Collins
To Memphis: Jason Terry, Jared Dudley and a first.

Or

To Boston: Paul Milsap
To Utah: Rudy Gay
To Memphis: Jason Terry, Mo Williams, Fab Melo, Kris Joseph
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:56:36 AM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2013, 02:51:54 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
No way Mem trades Gay.  They're playing as good a ball as anyone, scary team to face in the playoffs.

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2013, 04:03:36 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Rudy and Tony for Bradley, Lee, Bass and Green

Tony replaces Bradley and Gay or Pierce start at SG
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think Hollinger is as tied to PER as many people believe.

I think that ESPN was tied to PER and that PER was a simple statistic that was easy for general readership to grasp and understand.

I think Hollinger has a much more varied mind when it comes to these things. I have vague memories of Hollinger talking about the limitations of PER as well as saying he wasn't able to put more complex mathematical analysis onto ESPN. That his role there and the role of PER was more of an introduction of mathematical analysis and basketball into mainstream media.

Good news is it's very simple to see what Hollinger thinks of every player in the NBA. Bad news is he doesn't think much of our mid-level vet crew.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Pierce is better than Rudy Gay.

General rule of thumb for trades acquire THE best player in the trade. In this case Celtics will giving away the unequivocal best player in the trade.

Except Pierce is an old man on the downswing.  He could outperform Gay this year and then give Memphis the flexibility of an  affordable buyout next year if that ends up being their direction.  Would be a great move for Boston to get Pierce's younger replacement like that.

You've got to figure age and contract in the equation as well.