Author Topic: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay  (Read 25903 times)

Re: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Why would Memphis do this isn't he one of their 1-2 3 punches aside Gasol and Conley or Z Bo??
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think there's a very interested option where Gay goes to PHX, Gortat goes to BOS, Jason Terry and Jared Dudley go to Memphis, and the Grizzlies get under the lux tax this year and beyond (a key part of their reasoning):

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aaf8xkk

Deal solves major problems for all teams. Lee could be subbed in for Terry, though I'd prefer to keep him if one of the two is traded.

Not sure who says no...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think there's a very interested option where Gay goes to PHX, Gortat goes to BOS, Jason Terry and Jared Dudley go to Memphis, and the Grizzlies get under the lux tax this year and beyond (a key part of their reasoning):

Deal solves major problems for all teams. Lee could be subbed in for Terry, though I'd prefer to keep him if one of the two is traded.

Not sure who says no...

It's a good idea, but I can 't imagine the Suns wanting to take on Rudy Gay's contract

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Pierce for Gay wouldn't get them under the tax this year, but he's only $5 mil guaranteed for next year, helping them to get out of the repeater penalties. Throw in Wilcox and Joseph (to be waived) in return for Arthur and they shave off $2 mil off this years bill and free up $3 mil more from next year's cap.

Not a big fan of Gay, but Rondo/Bradley/Gay is a pretty electric perimeter trio in terms of speed, defense and athleticism
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Not sure who says no...

It's a good idea, but I can 't imagine the Suns wanting to take on Rudy Gay's contract

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PHX has been looking for a star scorer for a while now, both to build around and to attract fans. Gay could be that player.

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Not sure who says no...

I know they're cost sensitive, but he sure seems like a darn good fit there.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Not sure who says no...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PHX has been looking for a star scorer for a while now, both to build around and to attract fans. Gay could be that player.

They did throw a lot of money at Eric Gordon, but I think Gay being that much older thurts.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Not sure who says no...

Like the trade, I would figure Lee instead of Terry because his added size helps along with Dudly to fill gays role. I would also also offer wilcox and a 1st instead of melo.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen

Not sure who says no...

They did throw a lot of money at Eric Gordon, but I think Gay being that much older thurts.

He's 26, same age as Rondo. Gordon is 24.
I don't think age is an issue there.

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Not sure who says no...

2 years older? And 6 inches taller...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
What are your thoughts on this trade?
To Cleveland: Rudy Gay, Kris Joseph
To Boston: Anderson Varejao
To Memphis: Jason Terry, Alonzo Gee, Fab Melo, First from Boston

Get’s Memphis under the tax, gives them an athletic 3 to replace Gay and the 3 point shooter that they sorely need.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
What are your thoughts on this trade?
To Cleveland: Rudy Gay, Kris Joseph
To Boston: Anderson Varejao
To Memphis: Jason Terry, Alonzo Gee, Fab Melo, First from Boston

Get’s Memphis under the tax, gives them an athletic 3 to replace Gay and the 3 point shooter that they sorely need.

Watching their last game against us, I'd say Conley is filling that role just fine :P

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
theyre not going to trade rudy gay for our garbage.

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 03:58:04 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Quote from: StartOrien on Today at 03:25:17 PM

Quote from: AB_Celtic on Today at 03:21:44 PM

Quote from: StartOrien on Today at 03:14:24 PM

Quote from: ssspence on Today at 03:12:20 PM

Not sure who says no...

2 years older? And 6 inches taller...

If there where willing to pay Gordon they would be willing to pay Gay. He is the closest thing to a star they are going to be able to get with what they have to offer

There next problem is getting rid of beasley...

one other side note what would keep Memphis from just doing Gay for Dudly and Gortat? Giving them the best big man rotation in basketball?

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Why would Memphis do this isn't he one of their 1-2 3 punches aside Gasol and Conley or Z Bo??

Couple of reasons I would think:

Hollinger has some input in Memphis now and his beloved PER has Gay at only 15.4.

Gay is owed a lot of money going forward and the Grizz are a small market team.

They played well without Gay a couple of years ago. Without him, they defeated the Spurs in the 1st round and took the Thunder to 7 in the WCSF.