Author Topic: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay  (Read 25900 times)

Re: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
We don't need Rudy Gay. We need a big like Gortat, Nene, Okafor, Kaman, Varejao, or Millsap or even some not so great bigs like Haywood or Dalembert or Mullens

I agree. our best move is to get Gortat for bass and lee hopefully after jan. 15

But a Gay for Pierce trade would be independent of the one you proposed.

You are right you could trade pierce for gay and still trade lee and bass for Gortat.

Rondo/Barbosa
Bradley/terry
Pierce or Gay/green
Garnett/sully
Gortat/Collins

I kinda prefer to keep pierce though

Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Lowe's point about salary issues is valid. The teams are not great trade partners without another team joining.

The most logical deal I can find is:

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6194105

Boston adds a 1st round pick to Houston for taking Speights.

Memphis ~ Bass is an upgrade from Speights and makes comparable money. I don't think Hollinger likes Green much, but he makes half what Gay does and plays the same position.

My point: both Gay and Green's contracts are bad, but the former makes them a lux tax payer this summer. Memphis gets under the lux tax for this year by making this deal.

Boston ~ It's my belief they intend to put Pierce out to pasture this summer anyway...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:19:55 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We don't need Rudy Gay. We need a big like Gortat, Nene, Okafor, Kaman, Varejao, or Millsap or even some not so great bigs like Haywood or Dalembert or Mullens

The Celtics can use him right now to help the offense. 

And he provides Rondo an actual go to scorer in the future.
Does someone want to explain to me how Rudy Gay, a player who is a worse scorer and shooter and passer and defender than Paul Pierce and who plays on a team with a fairly good PG and other very good players, is going to make the Celtics better offensively than Paul Pierce?

I'm a bit confused. Pierce is shooting worse than he has in years and yet is still shooting better than Gay in every facet of the game and is scoring more points than Gay while playing 3 less minutes per game than Gay. How does that compute to helping the offense more than Pierce?

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Does someone want to explain to me how Rudy Gay, a player who is a worse scorer and shooter and passer and defender than Paul Pierce and who plays on a team with a fairly good PG and other very good players, is going to make the Celtics better offensively than Paul Pierce?

I'm a bit confused. Pierce is shooting worse than he has in years and yet is still shooting better than Gay in every facet of the game and is scoring more points than Gay while playing 3 less minutes per game than Gay. How does that compute to helping the offense more than Pierce?

Sounds like you're assuming they trade Pierce for Gay. What if they kept Pierce and traded for Gay?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Sounds like you're assuming they trade Pierce for Gay. What if they kept Pierce and traded for Gay?

I expect Pierce to stay. 

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont understand how the celtics are a "sensible candidate" in this discussion. Gay is a great player but two of our top four players both play SF. We need a big not another swing guy with a huge contract regardless of how good he can score.

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I dont understand how the celtics are a "sensible candidate" in this discussion. Gay is a great player but two of our top four players both play SF. We need a big not another swing guy with a huge contract regardless of how good he can score.

We do? Who are you talking about? I know our 3rd best player does. We also have a scrub with a starter's contract who does, but that doesn't now nor will it ever make him good.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING

Easy, Rudy Gay is more athletic and can create his own shot. He can be an excellent partner with Rondo on the break. Pierce is on the decline and can only score off of down screens/spot up three's.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
This is a tough call for me, as I'm sure it is for many Cs fans. I never want to see Paul Pierce in another jersey. Period. And it's true, like Nick said, that even a struggling Pierce is still shooting better than Gay, overall and from 3. Plus, Pierce is battle-tested and has come up big in the clutch several times, and we'll need that in order to win a title this season.

I also agree with others here that this type of trade doesn't address our biggest need (another legit big), or even our second-biggest need (a backup PG), so why bother?

If we can trade from our surplus of 4s and 2s (namely Bass and Lee) for a legit defensive center (Gortat, Dalembert, or even Mozgov), and also get a decent backup point, we'll be all set.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Because even if Green is the 4th best player on the Celtics (and I would be scared if he was), Gay is so much better. 

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Easy, Rudy Gay is more athletic and can create his own shot. He can be an excellent partner with Rondo on the break. Pierce is on the decline and can only score off of down screens/spot up three's.

Except Doc doesn't believe in fastbreak basketball—I know he says he wants more of that, but we never see it. Rondo already has had running partners in Green, Lee, Wilcox, and Barbosa, but how often have we seen that? Not much. He also has Bradley back now, but I'm still not expecting to see much running, because Doc doesn't push the issue.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Honestly, something like this is what I'm hoping for. Will KG buy in? Will it work on the court? Who knows? But that, along with Bradley, Green, Sully, and Melo, is some very young talent to have going forward.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=akybyfp

That's a sick trade, man. A Pierce replacement, a higher-scoring Rondo replacement, and a legit C? Kinda tempting.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:23 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As a fan a Pierce for Gay deal hurts but it makes sense. At 26 with size and athleticism gay is a great fit running with Rondo. Unless Jeff Green steps up its clear that Gay is an upgrade over Green as our future starting 3.

I could see using Portland who is under the cap and talent starved helping facilitate a deal.

That would leave the Cs with Rondo, Avery and Gay as clear starters for the next 5+ years. Danny would still have to figure out the 4 and 5 position after KG retires. Hopefully Sully develops into the starting 4. Leaving the Cs with Bass, Lee , and Picks to try to find a starting center with.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Honestly, something like this is what I'm hoping for. Will KG buy in? Will it work on the court? Who knows? But that, along with Bradley, Green, Sully, and Melo, is some very young talent to have going forward.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=akybyfp

That's a sick trade, man. A Pierce replacement, a higher-scoring Rondo replacement, and a legit C? Kinda tempting.

Yeah, I like it because it makes us very versatile, young, and extremely athletic. Bradley can cover the 1's on defense, while Evans handles the ball on offense. I think it gives us a better chance to win now and going forward.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

I have to agree with Nick on this. Rudy Gay is not better than Pierce. He doesn't score with the same ease and other than being younger and more athletic there's no real gain. A trade of Gay for Pierce would leave us right where we are if not worse(short-term) and make Memphis better.