Poll

What will Danny Ainge do before the 2013 trade deadline?

Nothing let Doc try to figure it out.
3 (7.9%)
Major blow up! Trade away Rondo, Pierce, or KG
4 (10.5%)
Minor blow up! Trade away AB, Green, Sully, or Terry
15 (39.5%)
Minor trade. Trade away a non core rotational player for another rotational player.
11 (28.9%)
Wait for vets to get bought out and hope to find a big that way.
5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: January 11, 2013, 12:15:18 PM

Author Topic: What do you think Danny will actualy do?  (Read 5309 times)

What do you think Danny will actualy do?
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
With this pole I obviously feel that any trade would be aimed at upgrading our big man situation and as suggested by Doc possibly adding a backup point.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: What do you think Danny will actualy do?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
nothin.  this is the team this year ::)

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I wouldn't consider trading any of the guys listed in the "minor blow up" department as blow up worthy.  But thats semantics.  I also think Lee and Bass belong in the same category as Terry and Green.

But I am voting for minor blow up, because I think Danny will end up trading a combination of non-Rondo/KG/Pierce guys and perhaps picks for a quality big man. 

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I didnt place Green and Terry at the same level as Lee and Bass for a reason.

Green has been considered our SF after Pierce ever since he was traded for. Trading him would be a big change in DA philosophy for the future.

Terry is a successful Vet who chose to come to the Cs. Trading him may alienate him and his agent and this doesn't seem like a typical DA move.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think he is making a run at Cousins and that's why it's so quiet!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Minor blow up.

Rondo is still our best player, even taking into account his major stinkers during this losing streak. Even if he needs to work on his consistency, he is still a star player (advanced metrics back this up, too).

Pierce has had shooting woes this season, but is still a starting caliber player. He is no longer a star, but he is a solid starter even at this point in his career.

When KG is on the court we have the best defense in the league, when he is off the court we have the worst. Getting rid of KG won't help, it is a matter of finding the best role/minutes for him.

I don't see the need to get rid of any of these players unless it is for a clear upgrade, which is unlikely because there just aren't any better players on the trading block that we are likely to get.

Terry has had a better season than most people give him credit for (his shooting percentage is higher than it has been in 5 seasons, as is his PPS. He has also turned the ball over less than he has since '08). Even so, he is expendable.

Wilcox is giving us exactly what is expected.

Sully is not only playing well, but improving, and I think he will be important moving forward in the next couple of seasons (I think he has at least borderline All-Star potential, if not more). So I don't want to get rid of him except for a proven talent.

Lee and Bass have unfortunately been terrible this season. Barbosa, despite a hot start, has been awful (though injury may be the reason for that). Collins and Jeff Green are also terrible basketball players, and have never been good. All 5 of them are not only expendable, but I would argue NEED to be traded. Jury is still out on Joseph and Bradley, we need more minutes from them. Varnado needs more playing time, too, but he looked solid in the 4 minutes of playing time he got for us, heh.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta agree with Chris here. I think it is abundantly clear there were players signed this off season that are just not working out and that it will be those players Danny shops in a "minor blowout" to fill holes in this team.

I would expect Green, Terry, Bass, Lee and Barbosa to be shopped and Melo, Joseph and picks to be filler if necessary to bring in the right deal.

Who Danny gets is really beyond me at this time. I think Phoenix seems like a good trade partner as does Milwaukee and Sacramento and possibly Cleveland and Washington

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I didnt place Green and Terry at the same level as Lee and Bass for a reason.

Green has been considered our SF after Pierce ever since he was traded for. Trading him would be a big change in DA philosophy for the future.

Terry is a successful Vet who chose to come to the Cs. Trading him may alienate him and his agent and this doesn't seem like a typical DA move.

And a lot of people considered Lee a potential starting SG for us. 

And Bass was our starting PF last year, and just signed a longterm deal. 

All of those guys were signed to be part of the "core" every bit as much as Green and Terry. 

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Minor blow up

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm with Chris and Nick as well. I don't see Bradley, Sully, et al as remotely untouchable, and thus worthy of the blowup designation.

I see them as bargaining chips, along with draft picks, that can bring us some value inside.

That's precisely what I think - and fervently hope - Danny will do.

Cousins would be perfect. Gortat would help. Beyond that, my mind is open beyond the notion that we simply cannot go forward with the current ill-fitting team that we have.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wouldn't consider trading any of the guys listed in the "minor blow up" department as blow up worthy.  But thats semantics.  I also think Lee and Bass belong in the same category as Terry and Green.

But I am voting for minor blow up, because I think Danny will end up trading a combination of non-Rondo/KG/Pierce guys and perhaps picks for a quality big man.

Yeah, I think (or perhaps hope) that that's the most likely option.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think it is abundantly clear there were players signed this off season that are just not working out and that it will be those players Danny shops in a "minor blowout" to fill holes in this team.

I would hope Danny would be smart enough to figure out that those guys, whatever their struggles, are not the reason the team is THIS bad.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Gotta agree with Chris here. I think it is abundantly clear there were players signed this off season that are just not working out and that it will be those players Danny shops in a "minor blowout" to fill holes in this team.

I would expect Green, Terry, Bass, Lee and Barbosa to be shopped and Melo, Joseph and picks to be filler if necessary to bring in the right deal.

Who Danny gets is really beyond me at this time. I think Phoenix seems like a good trade partner as does Milwaukee and Sacramento and possibly Cleveland and Washington

I voted for a minor trade, and agree with much of what Nick and Chris said.

I confess to liking a potential future lineup featuring Rondo, Bradley, Sully, and Melo, so I'm hoping that we can somehow keep all those guys, but I agree that Bass and Lee are totally expendable, and I'm fine with giving up any number of draft picks, first and second rounds. And if the price of a title this season is Bradley, Melo, and/or Sully, I think I can live with that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Probably just sit on his hands and hope this turns around.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Minor trade that changes absolutely nothing. Maybe we get lucky, but I doubt it.