Author Topic: Sandy Relief Package for the Northeast  (Read 2142 times)

Re: Sandy Relief Package for the Northeast
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1972
I think some money should have been appropriated sooner than two months after the disaster struck but I have no problem with being careful and prudent about how the money is spent and watching where it goes.

Completely agree, in principle.

Now, how is the best way to "be prudent"? Set up an agency in DC to administer the aid? Give the money straight to the cities and towns or states, since they should know best?

On a nationwide level, $60 billion is a lot of cash.  Before voting that money through, I'd like to do a thorough review to make sure it's going to be spent in the right places.

Who should do this review?
Good questions. Personally I would like the money to go to the cities but have it mandated that the money go proportionally to three areas that each city would have records of needing money: 1.) Personal home owners with damage that goes beyond their insurance coverage 2.) Infrastructure damage 3.) Businesses with damages that go beyond what their insurance covers

I am sure each city can get a breakdown of what each area has in damages. Then have the cities award the money they receive proportionally through those three categories with each recipient receiving proportionally the amount of money they make up in each area.

For instance. if a city has 60% of monetary damages being from home owners, 15% from infrastructure damage and 25% from businesses and then if a claimant makes up 1% of all the home owners claimed monetary damage, they get .6% of all the money the city gets. If one business has 10% of all the business claimed monetary damage they get 2.5% of all the money awarded the city.

How much money each city get can be done the same way on a state level.

I think that's the must prudent way to do it with as little politics getting in the way as possible and creating the least amount of waste.
2015 CB HISTORICAL DRAFT: COMING THIS OCTOBER
FORMAT:
3 players from 1960-73
3 players from 1974-86
3 players from 1987-00
3 players from 2001-Pres
1 player from any era

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I am opening this again, not so much to talk about who should pay what, but to find out where we are in the process of rehabilitating the hard hit areas, and to ask how the people still living there are managing in the aftermath of NEMO.  Had the infrastructure, water, electricity, gas, etc. been restored?  Were the people able to access shelters during the storm, have any (many) businesses been reopened since Sandy?

Everyone is very interested immediately following one of these events, but as time passes, so does the interest, while the hardship remains. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 229
very thoughtful, thirstyboots!

Regarding Sandy, here in NYC, everything is back to normal in Manhattan, though parts of Brooklyn and Staten Island are still very much rebuilding. Gov. Cuomo is talking about buying up the property on Staten Island that was hard hit by the storm, and turning the property into dunes, marshland, etc. Best I can tell, people think its a pretty good idea.

Nemo didn't really affect us here in NYC....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 382
  • Jeff Green
Yea, we here in NY are fine
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good to hear,  Thanks.  Then the housing problem is all undercontrol, and electricity is back to normal?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog