Poll

How would you rather see the Cs run?

All in to try to win one more time with KG and PP, at the expense  of the future
1 (9.1%)
All in for the future, building around Rondo. Try to get into lottery
4 (36.4%)
All in for the future, without rondo in the plan. Try to get into lottery
1 (9.1%)
Stay young around KG and PP try to make noise in next couple playoffs
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 11, 2013, 12:22:49 PM

Author Topic: How would you rather see the Celtics run??  (Read 2295 times)

How would you rather see the Celtics run??
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I guess this is more of a question of would you sell off the our young players to win compete this year and leave the cupboards bare for the future?

By going all in for the future i mean trade vets for youth and picks. With round would mean him likely have " a worse hip injury then expected" and this team bombs. Without would mean he to is traded for assets and younger players.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: How would you rather see the Celtics run??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, whichever option presents itself as the best option at the time.

I really don't believe in deciding a direction like that, when you don't know the options to make it successful.

I think that is the way has been doing it so far, and it is the way he should continue doing it.  Try to maintain enough flexibility so you can make a move when you need to, but otherwise, take what is out there and try to put the best team on the floor. 

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think that is the way has been doing it so far, and it is the way he should continue doing it.  Try to maintain enough flexibility so you can make a move when you need to, but otherwise, take what is out there and try to put the best team on the floor.

I agree but what do you do if the spurs call up and say (just a hypothetical) they have decided to go young and want to trade a package centered around Ginobli and Duncan for AB, Green, Melo, Sully and two first? In the same (hypothetical) breath what if Sac calls and says we are sick of losing we want to trade Evans and Cousins for Pierce and KG?

Do you give up tomorrow for today or vise versa?
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree but what do you do if the spurs call up and say (just a hypothetical) they have decided to go young and want to trade a package centered around Ginobli and Duncan for AB, Green, Melo, Sully and two first? In the same (hypothetical) breath what if Sac calls and says we are sick of losing we want to trade Evans and Cousins for Pierce and KG?

depends on the deal.  in your first scenario, you make that deal because it helps put us in a position for a serious run at the title.  for the second, you pass because it's not enough value for what we're giving up (at last I don't think it is)

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I would have to think about it some more, but my decision wouldn't be "future vs. present", it would be which deal puts the team in the best position both now and in the future, and also which presented the most value.

On first blush though, I would probably do neither of those deals.  The Spurs one is just asking for way too much for guys at the end of the line (take out the draft picks, and I would consider it).  And the Sacramento trade is basically just turning the C's into a mental asylum.  I think Cousins, and to a lesser extend Evans only makes sense if guys like KG and Pierce are here to try to get them back on track. 

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Honestly, whichever option presents itself as the best option at the time.

I really don't believe in deciding a direction like that, when you don't know the options to make it successful.

Yup, +1

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I would make both of those trades. I would make the Manu + Timmy trade ahead of the Cousins trade because:

(1) The Manu and Timmy trade instantly puts them in the frame for a title this season and maybe next season.
(2) I don't think Tyreke can play with Rondo. Cousins is a great long term piece but the C's would still be far from a title group.

I'll take the short window with a definite title chance over a longer window with an uncertain to ever be a title contender opportunity.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I would love to see an effort to go young and get a top pick.