Author Topic: Would you trade Jeff Green For Kendrick Perkins Now?  (Read 22980 times)

Re: Would you trade Jeff Green For Kendrick Perkins Now?
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Guys, Krstic was still injured in the playoffs.  He missed a couple games with I think a knee or meniscus injury, Doc said in an interview he was still hurting and that's why he wasn't playing normal minutes (1/3 of what he averaged in the regular season).

Between JO and Krstic playing with injury and Shaq unable to play with injury, Doc was pretty much forced to play Baby those minutes (he was already going small with Green).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
With Rondo hurt, we weren't going to win against Miami or another other team, Perk or no Perk.

If the goal is for nostalgic reasons, sure let's trade Jeff Green for Perk.

If the goal is to move forward with the franchise, you make the trade for the younger more athletic (and injury free at the time) player....every time!

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Absolutely not. We traded Perkins to fill a more valuable hole in our roster, and since then he's become a shell of who he was while in green.
And it opened a new hole that hasn't been filled yet.  Courtney Lee as the backup 2/3 wouldn't be a hole, at least not nearly as much as Wafer and Pavlovic would have been.  In fact he'd be a huge upgrade over Marquis who was plugging that hole when we were the best team in the league.

And we traded Perkins after Marquis went down.

Which was what opened up the hole.

The hole at backup SF.

The hole that we traded Perkins to fill.

The hole that was filled by Jeff Green: To be a backup for Paul Pierce. Which we needed. Much more than Perkins.

It was the right trade at the time, and while we do need an upgrade at the center spot now, let's remember that we had Shaq and JO that year, both of whom were projected to return to the floor in good health later in the season--(We've got to keep hindsight out of this when we evalutate that trade)....

Perkins is not the droids we are looking for, and that's even before we get into his salary, and his diminished ability.
None of this addresses my point.  I know we traded Perkins after Marquis got hurt, maybe you didn't understand my comment.

Courtney Lee would be replacing Green.
Sasha and Von Wafer would've been replacing Marquis (who isn't as good as Lee to begin with).

Our team simply has less holes than it did that year.  If you forget the injured O'Neals this team is better and deeper.  Wilcox, Bass, and Sullinger is much different than Big Baby and Semih playing with an injury.  Bradley, Lee, and Barbosa vs Delonte, Nate, and Marquis.  The only hole I see is a big that can play defense outside of KG.  Green isn't filling the same need for us as he did in 2010.

And as a side note, I don't think the consensus was or currently is "the right trade at the time."

Your premise seems to include us having Sullinger in the absence of the trade.  I'm not 100% certain that would be so.  We were able to take both Sully and Fab using the pick we got in the trade along with Green.

Also, in the absence of the trade, our draft position probably changes - up or down, is of course arguable.

Absence of the trade, of course, there is little chance Perk is still here anyway.  He was headed for free agency and OKC or someone would have probably paid him that big contract that Danny was never going to match anyway.

Also, Green was acquired to back up Pierce within the context of the EC - where he needs to defend Lebron and Carmelo.  Lee can't defend those guys.  Way too small.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I find the perk bashers quite honestly comical...you sound like the Celtics haters talking about perk while he was here..totally clueless as to what he brings to a team, sorry but he hadn't dropped off as much as you make it seem, is incredibly vital to the thunder making it back to the finals...love green the person but he's flat out not good, we would be better off with Perkins period end of story

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I find the perk bashers quite honestly comical...you sound like the Celtics haters talking about perk while he was here..totally clueless as to what he brings to a team, sorry but he hadn't dropped off as much as you make it seem, is incredibly vital to the thunder making it back to the finals...love green the person but he's flat out not good, we would be better off with Perkins period end of story

Statistically it can be proven he has declined.   Look at his stats,   But his blocks and RPG are down.  He only plays 23 MPG and his FG percentage is down.

4.4 PPG .47% and 5.5 RPG and 1 BPG is not what I would call vital.   This isn't bashing Perk these are his stats.   He has declined and is not the same player.  I get some of you guys loved him but he is not the same player.  He gets 3 less RPG and 1 less BPG than Perk in his prime.   If you think this is comical or I find it comial that is sad.   He is a guy in decline who has had multiple injuries.   I find that sad.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kendrick_perkins/career_stats.html

We would be fools to trade Green for him now.  Green is  more productive.

Do you believe in the Easter Bunny by any chance?

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Statistically it can be proven he a has declined.   Look at his stats,   But his blocks and RPG are down.  He only plays 23 MPG and his FG percentage is down.

4.4 PPG .47% and 5.5 RPG and 1 BPG is not what I would call vital.   This isn't bashing Perk these are his stats.   He has declined and is not the same player.  I get some of you guys loved him but he is not the same player.  He gets 3 less RPG and 1 less BPG than Perk in his prime.   If you think this is comical or I find it comial that is sad.   He is a guy in decline who has had multiple injuries.   I find that sad.

Do you believe Jeff green is a good basketball player? I for one would rather believe in the Easter bunny and have a force in the paint and the entire team plays more tough because of...quite honestly don't care about your numbers, thunder are going nowhere in the playoffs if Perkins doesn't get healthy and defend the Howards, Randolphs and duncans of the world...lol@Jeff green doing anything close to that valuable

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Part of the reason may be that when Perk was injured we were still one of the best teams and defenses in the league without Perk and starting and75 either a 75 year old shaq, 65 year old JO, or 22to year old Semih Erden.

I swear Perk must be the greatest intangibles guy ever to play the game according to perk cheerleaders. Cause if he's not what the hell us does he do? He must be the greatest enforcer, intimidator, scowler, teammate, pick setter, space eater, communicator seriously what else is he awesome at? Okay he's a good defender at best and can haul down 5 boards a game (because he's busy making room for other guys to grab rebounds)

Greatest intangible guys of all time:
1.perk
2.Scal

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Statistically it can be proven he a has declined.   Look at his stats,   But his blocks and RPG are down.  He only plays 23 MPG and his FG percentage is down.

Do you believe Jeff green is a good basketball player? I for one would rather believe in the Easter bunny and have a force in the paint and the entire team plays more tough because of...quite honestly don't care about your numbers, thunder are going nowhere in the playoffs if Perkins doesn't get healthy and defend the Howards, Randolphs and duncans of the world...lol@Jeff green doing anything close to that valuable

Haha perkins defending Randolph, that's cute

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
He also barely plays half the game with 25 min a game. Why is that? At least if you have a supposed good (is that what Perk is?) Starting center you should be getting more minutes out there unless he actually doesn't help that much, doesn't have the endurance, or can't stay out of foul trouble.

Perk has always played around 25 minutes per game.  He does't foul all that much, one every 10 minutes.  His 25 minutes seem to be working for OKC, because they've won 80% of their games since trading for Perkins.  Ibaka only plays 29 mpg, and averages 25mpg for his career.  That's OKC's philosophy, for their bigs to play short minutes, not get a lot of shots, and to concentrate more on boxing out and letting the littles snare rebounds (KD, Westbrooks, Martin and Thabo get the same amount of rebounds per game as the four bigs).

It's different, but it obviously works for OKC.   

Ha yeah, playing Perk less does seem to be working out for them pretty well

For the record Perk has never averaged 30 minutes a game in his career. That says more than a lot of people want to admit.

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Absolutely not. We traded Perkins to fill a more valuable hole in our roster, and since then he's become a shell of who he was while in green.
And it opened a new hole that hasn't been filled yet.  Courtney Lee as the backup 2/3 wouldn't be a hole, at least not nearly as much as Wafer and Pavlovic would have been.  In fact he'd be a huge upgrade over Marquis who was plugging that hole when we were the best team in the league.

And we traded Perkins after Marquis went down.

Which was what opened up the hole.

The hole at backup SF.

The hole that we traded Perkins to fill.

The hole that was filled by Jeff Green: To be a backup for Paul Pierce. Which we needed. Much more than Perkins.

It was the right trade at the time, and while we do need an upgrade at the center spot now, let's remember that we had Shaq and JO that year, both of whom were projected to return to the floor in good health later in the season--(We've got to keep hindsight out of this when we evalutate that trade)....

Perkins is not the droids we are looking for, and that's even before we get into his salary, and his diminished ability.
None of this addresses my point.  I know we traded Perkins after Marquis got hurt, maybe you didn't understand my comment.

Courtney Lee would be replacing Green.
Sasha and Von Wafer would've been replacing Marquis (who isn't as good as Lee to begin with).

Our team simply has less holes than it did that year.  If you forget the injured O'Neals this team is better and deeper.  Wilcox, Bass, and Sullinger is much different than Big Baby and Semih playing with an injury.  Bradley, Lee, and Barbosa vs Delonte, Nate, and Marquis.  The only hole I see is a big that can play defense outside of KG.  Green isn't filling the same need for us as he did in 2010.

And as a side note, I don't think the consensus was or currently is "the right trade at the time."

Your premise seems to include us having Sullinger in the absence of the trade.  I'm not 100% certain that would be so.  We were able to take both Sully and Fab using the pick we got in the trade along with Green.

Also, in the absence of the trade, our draft position probably changes - up or down, is of course arguable.

Absence of the trade, of course, there is little chance Perk is still here anyway.  He was headed for free agency and OKC or someone would have probably paid him that big contract that Danny was never going to match anyway.

Also, Green was acquired to back up Pierce within the context of the EC - where he needs to defend Lebron and Carmelo.  Lee can't defend those guys.  Way too small.
1.  I think it's clear the Celtics would have taken Sullinger over Melo, especially for a win now team in need of big man help.

2.  Why is the draft in question?  He's talking about a new Green for Perkins trade.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2013, 02:40:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If Ainge agreed to pay Perkins $9 million a year for those miniscule production numbers, he should have been fired.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2013, 02:58:14 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I'll still want to trade for Jeff Green in a NY minute
Jeff Green is just a better player

I wouldn't mind keeping Perkins, but he felt he was more of what he was worth, which made me feel sour towards him. A guy with horrible footwork, below-average offensive skills, average rebounder, hardly a shot blocker, asking for 8 million a year? I thank my lucky stars Ainge didn't agree to that contract

Reminds me alot of Ben Wallace (Even though he's way better than Perk). He won a title wit the 2004 Piston team, thought he was worth more, signed a $50 million contract with the Bulls, and struggled mightily. Wasn't as good a player when he didn't have his talented teammates with him
Its the going rate for Centers at the time and even now isnt it?

True, just glad Danny didn't succumb to the going rate. Theres plenty of centers in the league that can do the same things as Perk who are way cheaper

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I'll still want to trade for Jeff Green in a NY minute
Jeff Green is just a better player

I wouldn't mind keeping Perkins, but he felt he was more of what he was worth, which made me feel sour towards him. A guy with horrible footwork, below-average offensive skills, average rebounder, hardly a shot blocker, asking for 8 million a year? I thank my lucky stars Ainge didn't agree to that contract

Reminds me alot of Ben Wallace (Even though he's way better than Perk). He won a title wit the 2004 Piston team, thought he was worth more, signed a $50 million contract with the Bulls, and struggled mightily. Wasn't as good a player when he didn't have his talented teammates with him
Its the going rate for Centers at the time and even now isnt it?

True, just glad Danny didn't succumb to the going rate. Theres plenty of centers in the league that can do the same things as Perk who are way cheaper

And there are plenty of small forwards in the league that can do the same things as Green who are way cheaper as well.

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Greatest intangible guys of all time:
1.perk
2.Scal

You must be under 30?

Bird had a zillion more intangibles than these guys.   He made every team mate better when he was on the floor.   Perk and Scal play with heart but I think your confusing that with intangibles.   I like both Perk and Scal but this is not true.

I don't think Green is that good and I hope he is traded.   But I grew up on farms and I can spot a wounded animal that needs put out to the field and not pulling the cart anymore.   Perk is like a horse that is wounded ( of course he is human and he is not going to be put down nor would I endorse it).  and his working days are over.

Does this look like the old Perk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbyOevVAYQI

Perk is 6'10" and his head doesn't even get above the net.   HE IS DONE!

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Danny traded him.  Doc approved of it.  And I am sure it was run by a couple more people as well.

I trust them ++++++ more than you.