Author Topic: Would you trade Jeff Green For Kendrick Perkins Now?  (Read 22996 times)

Re: Would you trade Jeff Green For Kendrick Perkins Now?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Unless you just love Perk for the memories or love him as a person I don't see how you could want to swap him if you've watched him the last few years.

That's saying something because it's not like Green has been even good but still wouldn't swap him for multiple reasons.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd take Perk back. Atleast I could then watch Celtics games and be able to point at my tv screen and go ooooohhhhhh it's Perk!!

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I watch almost every OKC game and am certain that Perk could help fill a much more glaring need on the Celtics than what green provides (backup SF minutes).

It seems pretty noticeable to me that the Cs are as soft as butter in the paint.  Here's what Tony Allen told WEEI yesterday

“I don’t think they’ve really got a defensive-minded guy yet,” added Allen. “I mean, they’ve got one [Avery Bradley], but I can’t say he’s 100 percent just yet. I don’t think they’ve got the center like Perk [Kendrick Perkins]. It’s kind of hard finding a guy like — a guy who clogs up the paint, talks trash to you and can actually back it up. They’re just missing a lot. I don’t know. I don’t see the same team from 2008.”

It was a dumb trade when Ainge made it, and the Celtics still haven't been able to fill the vital role that Perk played here in Boston.  Their playoff run last season was aided by injuries to all star bigs for both Atlanta and Miami. 

Perk is very good at mucking up the paint at both ends.  I'll take that over Green's uneven, wimpy play in his 23 mediocre minutes a game.  There are plenty of guys who can give you 9.8 points off the bench in 8.6 shots shooting 42%, while barely rebounding or assisting.  There aren't a lot of guys who can do what Perk does, which is defend the post one on one, box out, and provide a consistently physical presence at both ends of the court.   

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Don't forget bricking free throws.

Here's the quantifiable stuff he brings to the Thunder now:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkike01/lineups/2013/

He is a solid post defender... in a league that's increasingly gravitating toward jump shooters. He's an all right defender... when he has someone that'll roam with him, like Ibaka. But he's already peaked as a player, and he doesn't fit our needs well enough to justify his price tag (the other reason why he was shipped out).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Nope.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
So say what you want about Jeff Green - he's not a liability out there in any facet of the game. He's not great at anything (shows flashes - but not many), but he's not HORRENDOUS at anything.

At this point in his career, Perkins is horrendous offensively and a terrible rebounder. And in terms of his defensive impact - look at the numbers.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12OKC13.HTM#onoff

OKC's defensive efficiency with Perk on the court: 104.6
With him off? 104.9

Offensively though? 111.5 with him on, 116.8 with him off.

Basically, the Thunder are worse with him on the court by a fair margin. Also, one more stat: His opponent's PER is 19.7. That is not good, especially in a league with weak centers.

His vaunted defensive ability isn't making much of an impact with the Thunder this year. So what is he really bringing to the table?

Green is still a better player, but that's not saying much, because Perkins is truly that poor now.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
The other thing about Perk is that he's getting worse. He's is, once again, averaging a career low in FG%, PER, rebounding rate, second lowest WS/48 and PPG.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
Perk is very good at mucking up the paint at both ends.  I'll take that over Green's uneven, wimpy play in his 23 mediocre minutes a game.  There are plenty of guys who can give you 9.8 points off the bench in 8.6 shots shooting 42%, while barely rebounding or assisting.  There aren't a lot of guys who can do what Perk does, which is defend the post one on one, box out, and provide a consistently physical presence at both ends of the court.   

Did you watch Perk last year in the Finals? Did he muck up or be a consistently physical presence at all? And are you under the opinion that the Celtics couldn't find plenty of guys that will give you 4 and 5 on 47 percent shooting, while barely rebounding, assisting, blocking shots, etc.?

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
Overall Green is the better player. Perk is OKC's better version of Jason Collins. He was brought in to slow down Bynum which he did in last year's playoffs. Perk is a can but he adds something the C's really miss. Doc with the small ball wanted his cake and to eat it too.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Absolutely. I am actually a Jeff green fan but the C's are in desperate need for another perk. Team hasn't been the same without him.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 11:28:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is not the same player folks.  Hard to limp up and down the court.  Perk = better Collins but not a alot better.   Good at taking up space but not a statistical monster.   He is not the same player he was and is getting worse, I agree.  Green is a way better player.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:05 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I'll still want to trade for Jeff Green in a NY minute
Jeff Green is just a better player

I wouldn't mind keeping Perkins, but he felt he was more of what he was worth, which made me feel sour towards him. A guy with horrible footwork, below-average offensive skills, average rebounder, hardly a shot blocker, asking for 8 million a year? I thank my lucky stars Ainge didn't agree to that contract

Reminds me alot of Ben Wallace (Even though he's way better than Perk). He won a title wit the 2004 Piston team, thought he was worth more, signed a $50 million contract with the Bulls, and struggled mightily. Wasn't as good a player when he didn't have his talented teammates with him

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Crazy that people are comparing Perk of OKC to Perk of the Cs. For as much as physical deterioration has impacted his game, his role in OKC has been at least an equal factor. What he meant to us went far beyond his physical talents (which were never really there, anyway). His presence (personality-wise/emotionally) for the OKC club is so different, and minimal.

In the same vein, stat lines do not, and can not, do justice to what Perk brought to our team. I'm pretty peeved that people would even try to quantify Perk's play... whether it is now with OKC or with Cs in the past. The man anchored the toughest defense in the league, he was the ultimate glue guy, everyone trusted him, and he kept the opposing team honest every frieken night. He played big in big games as well. That's what wins championships (aside from a once in a century athlete like Lebron - who also benefited from glue guys with pitiful reg season stats, like Battier). With Perk, in my humble opinion, Cs would have gotten 2 more banners.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'll still want to trade for Jeff Green in a NY minute
Jeff Green is just a better player

I wouldn't mind keeping Perkins, but he felt he was more of what he was worth, which made me feel sour towards him. A guy with horrible footwork, below-average offensive skills, average rebounder, hardly a shot blocker, asking for 8 million a year? I thank my lucky stars Ainge didn't agree to that contract

Reminds me alot of Ben Wallace (Even though he's way better than Perk). He won a title wit the 2004 Piston team, thought he was worth more, signed a $50 million contract with the Bulls, and struggled mightily. Wasn't as good a player when he didn't have his talented teammates with him
Its the going rate for Centers at the time and even now isnt it?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 01:20:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd rather have Perk.  At least you always know that Perk is in the building.  That's not the case with Green.