Author Topic: If KG was never traded here. Where would Danny be?  (Read 6473 times)

Re: If KG was never traded here. Where would Danny be?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

If his buddy Kevin Mchale, never sent Garnett to the Celtics. And obviously Mchale would never have sent him to the Lakers the other option he had.

We traded a bunch of crap to get KG. He was so lucky to knoe Mchale. Big Al was the only good piece in that deal. Is there anyone here saying that Danny is a great GM if that trade never happened.

The trade did happen. If that specific trade hadn't happened, Danny would have made another. Who knows what the result of that "other" trade might have been.

I don't think Danny is a "great" GM, but I also don't get why people give him a lot of grief. He's a good GM. I'd prefer him than most of the other GMs in the league.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't get why so many fans are so desperate to downgrade what Danny has done here. From where I sit, he has made the best of the assets he's had. Drafting guys like Delonte, Rondo, Big Baby, Avery, Sully late in the 1st round, gettting guys like Jet, Rasheed, and JO for the MLE - he does his job.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't get why so many fans are so desperate to downgrade what Danny has done here. From where I sit, he has made the best of the assets he's had. Drafting guys like Delonte, Rondo, Big Baby, Avery, Sully late in the 1st round, gettting guys like Jet, Rasheed, and JO for the MLE - he does his job.

Yeah, I know these things are results oriented, but from the 2009 off-season until the present, I think the vast majority of fans have been thrilled with the off-seasons Danny has put together.

2009:  Rasheed + Marquis seemed like a coup
2010:  JO + Shaq + Delonte had fans thrilled
2011:  Adding Terry + Lee + Darko + Barbosa, and keeping our own free agents, seemed like an excellent off-season

Danny dropped the ball in the 2008 off-season, perhaps, but since then he's done everything he could do with our limited resources.  Not everything has worked out, but the game plan has been solid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Danny has more tgan done a goid job. He gets a big fat A in my book! And he's gonna make another excellent move here real soon that will make the naysayers eat their words. We have championship talent as currently constructed, the pieces in Terry & Lee & Green just doesn't fit well in our team because they are redundant. A shakeup positively DMC,D-12 or a blindside star we didn't see as possible. Or a total retooling where we start over with young assets & take a flyer on Greg Oden with Rondo, Bradley,Green & Sullinger will suit me just fine. Either way Ainge has been a top 5 GM in my opinion. You can't name 4 better.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Then we see a deal for Gasol based around Ratliff's deal and Jefferson.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Ainge has been a great drafter for the most part, which is one of his best qualities as GM. Missing Marc Gasol that year he took Gabe Pruitt was a big one. He made up for it a little with the Big Baby pick. We should have nabbed both.

Also, to correct his own mistake with the Walker trade, he did the Telfair trade shipping out LaFrentz along with the #7 pick (Foye). Rudy Gay was just sitting there for the taking if he wanted to stand pat.

Memphis is happy they got both these guys.

If he never got KG, Danny might have a core of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Gay, Perk, Baby, Al Jeff and who knows what else. We'd certainly have had better draft picks if we still sucked in 2008, 2009, etc.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

If you don't think Danny's relationship with Mchale had a lot do with him coming here then your not real familiar with business transactions. .

True.  Because GMs only trade with their friends / former teammates.  And because so many other teams were offering young big men with near-all-star potential, and insured expiring contracts.

Even if it played a role though, why does it matter?  Isn't that how business works?  Its all about favors and relationships.  That is part of the job description.

If the contention is that some GMs have better working relationships than others, I obviously agree with this.  As you say, building those relationships is part of the business.

However, there's this view among some fans that the KG deal was a "wink, wink" deal, where McHale took an inferior deal from the Celtics to help out his former franchise.  I think that's nonsense.

Absolutely agree with Roy here.  Businessmen generally do not hurt their own business interests for the purpose of helping out a friend. Yes, all things being equal they'll deal with the friend, but McHale's overiding interest in any Garnett was to make the Minnesota Timberwolves better, not to give his buddy a break. 

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I agree that Danny would've landed Pau Gasol. That was the other star who became available and Danny had the horses to land him. I think he could've done so without offering Big Al too. So that would've left Boston with a starting five of:

PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Al Jefferson
C:  Pau Gasol

Not a bad looking team at all. Light defensively but loaded with offensive talent. I think that team still has a very good chance of making it to the finals over the next few years from 2008-2011.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I agree that Danny would've landed Pau Gasol. That was the other star who became available and Danny had the horses to land him. I think he could've done so without offering Big Al too. So that would've left Boston with a starting five of:

Not a bad looking team at all. Light defensively but loaded with offensive talent. I think that team still has a very good chance of making it to the finals over the next few years from 2008-2011.

Yeah, at the time I was optimistic that we could get Gasol without moving Big Al.  Immediate cap relief + Green + Gomes + picks.

Marc Gasol turned out to be a nice return, but I wonder if that package would have gotten it done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yeah, at the time I was optimistic that we could get Gasol without moving Big Al.  Immediate cap relief + Green + Gomes + picks.

Marc Gasol turned out to be a nice return, but I wonder if that package would have gotten it done.
Not sure why Memphis would have preferred Green over Marc Gasol. For that matter, hindsight is 20/20, but I would take Marc instead of Pau.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Now what if Danny takes Marc Gasol at 30 in 07 and Davis, plus Dragic in 08? Imagine having Perkins, KG, Rondo, Allen, Garnett with Gasol, Davis and Dragic off the bench?

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Not sure why Memphis would have preferred Green over Marc Gasol. For that matter, hindsight is 20/20, but I would take Marc instead of Pau.

Who was saying that in 2007, though?  Gasol had just fallen to the 48th pick in the draft.  Nobody seemed all that high on him as an impact prospect.

Of course in hindsight, Marc Gasol trumps any player we could have given.  However, I don't think that was the perception at the time.

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Who was saying that in 2007, though?  Gasol had just fallen to the 48th pick in the draft.  Nobody seemed all that high on him as an impact prospect.

Of course in hindsight, Marc Gasol trumps any player we could have given.  However, I don't think that was the perception at the time.

I remember pretty specifically Kobe joking at the time that they could've got it done and not include Marc. Basically, he was kind of doing a Kobe-dig on how little the package was, and also hinting at how little value Marc had.

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
BTW, are we sure Jeff Green was Danny's guy? I thought the target for that pick was Yi.