Author Topic: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today  (Read 18470 times)

Re: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Boston celtics.  1 starting PG.  0 Starting SG.  2 Starting SF's.  1 starting PF.  0 Starting C.   

... 4 backup SGS
... 2 Backup PFs
... 0 Backup C
... 0 Backup PG

Dats a problem.

Basically - and I agree that the composition of the team is a bit suspect, but Avery / Lee are starting caliber SGs in today's NBA and Terry is a combo guard. I totally disagree with Doc that we need another PG off the bench. Terry, Bradley, or Barbosa are all very capable of playing a few minutes of PG while Rondo is out. No, they are not the playmaker Rondo is, but I thought that was one of the main reasons of bringing Terry in - to become an aggressive scoring type of PG, totally different than Rondo.

Something needs to be happen soon, because this is just crazy talk by Doc.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Doc has been saying this all year.  It surprises me, because I think Terry is a pretty good backup PG, but Doc doesn't want to play him there.

He is still trying to squeeze Terry into Ray role. 

I agree, give Terry the ball when he comes off the bench.

Yes and yes to both of you.

While I do think it should be Terry... what happened to Barbosa?  Through the end of November, he was getting good chunks of minutes as our backup point guard, I found him to be playing just fine, and our record was 9-7 over that time.  Since Dec. 1, he's pretty much been pulled out of that role and our record has been 5-10.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
There's no reason Terry can't run the point for 12 minutes (That's four 3 minutes stretches) a night. Most good back up points aren't as good as Terry. IMO, that is the least of our problems.

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
There's no reason Terry can't run the point for 12 minutes (That's four 3 minutes stretches) a night. Most good back up points aren't as good as Terry. IMO, that is the least of our problems.
I dont know last year or the year before he could. Hes lost a step now and seems to always be hounded without anything to do when he has the ball a la Ray Allen.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
what happened to Barbosa?  Through the end of November, he was getting good chunks of minutes as our backup point guard, I found him to be playing just fine, and our record was 9-7 over that time.  Since Dec. 1, he's pretty much been pulled out of that role and our record has been 5-10.
He stopped getting time when it became obvious that his idea of "manning the point" is putting his head down and driving to the hoop every time. It gets old quickly.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Doc is right. The offense sputters like hell whenever Rondo is out of the game because no one else on the team can run an offense without simply trying to create their own one on one offense. Neither Lee, nor Bradley nor Terry nor Barbosa are capable of running a team oriented offense without just trying to create their own shot first and foremost.

Personally I think we need to package Bass, Green and Lee for a starting caliber big and a real back up PG.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
He stopped getting time when it became obvious that his idea of "manning the point" is putting his head down and driving to the hoop every time. It gets old quickly.
Wasn't that the point, though? Barbosa tries to find a hole in the defense, and he'll either make a basket, get fouled while shooting (sometimes they even call it), or pass out to someone else.

I actually thought it worked pretty well, honestly.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Good backup PG's are rarely available. Terry pretty much has to be that guy.

Unfortunately Terry appears to be at least as over paid as Jeff Green so far. Terry's been too slow to create space for his shot. And looks horrible on defense.

Sadly the whole team looks like what they are, a completely overhauled roster outside of about 5 players. And Pierce's play has really regressed. He can't get around anybody anymore.  :(

I think more time will sort most of their problems out to be honest.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Doc might be amazed how well backups play when there's an actual center out there to get rebs and defensive stops. But we traded ours for Jeff Green and a draft pick.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
He was on the Dennis and Callahan show this morning and mentioned how the C's need someone to run the offense off the bench.  Said Rondo can't play all 48 mins and run the team effectively and that someone else needs to step up and have the ability to run the offense while Rondo gets some rest.

Obviously a big man is the most pressing need, but do we also need a backup PG? or should we stick with Terry and tell him to be more aggressive?

What backup pg's would you be interested in ?

Doc,  Rondo shouldn't have to be creating shots for others if you had a system.  Lots of coaches win without a true PG never mind a good backup PG.  Have you heard of the Princeton offense?  Backdoors? Triangle Offense?  Give-n-go? High Post offense?  Can you name Tony Parker's backup?

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Boston celtics.  1 starting PG.  0 Starting SG.  2 Starting SF's.  1 starting PF.  0 Starting C.   

... 4 backup SGS
... 2 Backup PFs
... 0 Backup C
... 0 Backup PG

Dats a problem.
Just letting you know, when KG plays center, he is voted in as a starter in the all star game, and when he played  fulltime power forward beginning of last year, he had his worst career numbers.

He is not a fulltime starting power forward anymore.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Trade for Andre Miller.  He and Pierce are old friends and I think he's the type of player we could trade for.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If Doc had had the stones to just make KG play at the 5 in the first place, wouldn't we have just held onto Big Baby?  He's only averaging 16 pts and 7.9 boards starting for Orlando this year?

Mike

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes, Terry has been a flop. Boston would be better off with a more traditional backup PG.

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Trade for Andre Miller.  He and Pierce are old friends and I think he's the type of player we could trade for.

Where did you read they are old friends?  I remember them quarreling on the 2002 USA team that went down in flames.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri