6 (16.7%)
By trade deadline Feb 21, 2013
23 (63.9%)
Regardless of season outcome, no changes until offseason
3 (8.3%)
Stick it out with this group for the next few years
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: At this rate at what point will changes occur??  (Read 13676 times)

Re: At this rate at what point will changes occur??
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Its now or never and doc needs to stop experimenting and put out what has worked the best so far/best he has talentwise. Minimize min for those that have not been effective

Starting lineup -
C- Sully, PF - KG, SF - PP , SG- AV, PG - Rondo
Bench
C- Bass , PF - Green, SF - Lee, SG - Terry, Pg - Barbosa

Just let it flow this way and see what happens before trade deadline.  You have to utilize pressure defense that has worked so well for the celts in the past. The 2nd unit while small, should have more speed to frustrate opponents  on the defensive end  which should result in turnovers/steals for fast break points. Barbosa is nicknamed the blurr for a reason

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 01:33:01 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Hopefully things turn around. But if not , at this rate, when is something going to change?? I can see something happening as soon as we lose the next three and worse case by trade deadline. The bottom line is, you can't sign KG and Pierce to all star level salary figures plus generously pay 4 bench players, only to not make it into the playoffs.  Its just not acceptable

Four changes i see happening (from likely to less likely)

1. Don't touch the core and trade for a center - Gorat, Okafor as example. Likely it will take one of Sully, Melo and a 1st round pick. Danny will have to overpay for this quick but possible "glue" solution

2. Paul Pierce is traded for picks and youth. Give Jeff Green a chance to start. Also frees up money next year to sign Josh Smith.

3. Fire Rivers. Would our team be better if Greg Popovich was coaching instead? Rivers is an ok coach that has had the luxury to have hof players KG, Pierce, Ray Allen. But when you don't have an optimal team, Rivers can only get you 500 or less. San Antonio has key players that are as old and injured as the ones on our team. They also have several no name guys pops developed that have done the job. No wasting millions of dollars

4. Total Blow up. Say we lose next to IND all the way until we lose to the Bobcats. Is this considered a one player away issue? A coaching issue? To me this could mean a total blow up necessary to move the franchise forward. I mean see you later Ainge, Rivers, KG, Pierce and Rondo.

realistic team after blowup
Scal as new coach, Trade Rondo, KG, Sully to ATL for Horford and Jeff Teague,  trade Pierce and Lee to Den for Corey Brewer, Mozgov, Chandler, 1st round pick, Jeff Green to IND for Tyler Hansborough, 1st round pick + salary fill in, Jason Terry to OKC for Reggie Jackson + salary fill in

New lineup
Starting - Horford, Hansborough, Brewer, Bradley, Teague
Bench - Mozgov, Melo, Bass, Chandler, Jackson

Your different scenarios are pretty interesting, but that is the worst team you could possible construct. If it is blow it up and acquire those players for our current ones, or keep what we have and enjoy the show, I am standing pat. The only decent player you have there is Horford and all of the draft picks would be quite low...

Teague is a very very good pg. In some ways better than Rondo the way he can shoot and score in clutch. I think Hansborough is going to become the 2nd coming of David Lee. A late bloomer but eventually a near all star.  He has been putting together quite a bit of 20 and 10 games this year. He just needs a chance to start. Bradley is an amazing defender at guard and Brewer like Hansborough is really coming along. He couldn't shoot with much consistancy earlier in his career and now will shoot it in the 4th quarter, with hands in his face and make it. He is also a fantastic defender and has a relationship with Horford in that they both won a championship at college level before the NBA.

We would be young, athletic, and have defensive shutdown potential.
David Lee can play, Hansborough sucks.  Lee averaged a double double in his second year.  I wouldn't call that a late bloomer.

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 03:54:19 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Hopefully things turn around. But if not , at this rate, when is something going to change?? I can see something happening as soon as we lose the next three and worse case by trade deadline. The bottom line is, you can't sign KG and Pierce to all star level salary figures plus generously pay 4 bench players, only to not make it into the playoffs.  Its just not acceptable

1. Don't touch the core and trade for a center - Gorat, Okafor as example. Likely it will take one of Sully, Melo and a 1st round pick. Danny will have to overpay for this quick but possible "glue" solution

2. Paul Pierce is traded for picks and youth. Give Jeff Green a chance to start. Also frees up money next year to sign Josh Smith.

3. Fire Rivers. Would our team be better if Greg Popovich was coaching instead? Rivers is an ok coach that has had the luxury to have hof players KG, Pierce, Ray Allen. But when you don't have an optimal team, Rivers can only get you 500 or less. San Antonio has key players that are as old and injured as the ones on our team. They also have several no name guys pops developed that have done the job. No wasting millions of dollars

4. Total Blow up. Say we lose next to IND all the way until we lose to the Bobcats. Is this considered a one player away issue? A coaching issue? To me this could mean a total blow up necessary to move the franchise forward. I mean see you later Ainge, Rivers, KG, Pierce and Rondo.

Scal as new coach, Trade Rondo, KG, Sully to ATL for Horford and Jeff Teague,  trade Pierce and Lee to Den for Corey Brewer, Mozgov, Chandler, 1st round pick, Jeff Green to IND for Tyler Hansborough, 1st round pick + salary fill in, Jason Terry to OKC for Reggie Jackson + salary fill in

New lineup

BATH SALTS ANYONE???

What are you mainlining man? We are trading our 4 best players and a prospect (sully) for Al Horford and a collection of underachievers, and no picks of any substance.

Plus freaking Scal as coach.

Instant laughing stock of the NBA

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:11 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
cousins is coming.

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think if there are changes then they will start on:

Jan 15th

it's a trade deadline for certain signed players.

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

New lineup

BATH SALTS ANYONE???

What are you mainlining man? We are trading our 4 best players and a prospect (sully) for Al Horford and a collection of underachievers, and no picks of any substance.

What is wrong with scal? He was one of the smartest players on the team, and was pretty much an assistant for doc and thibs the last few years.

we won the championship 3 years ago , not last year. We don't have a collection of top all stars to get in return top all stars. Sully is a good rookie but not the next coming of boozer (not yet anyways).

- Teague - imo is a top pg in the league. Am i missing something here?
- Horford - a top center in the league
- Brewer - was never considered a top offensive machine. He was drafted for his defense and ability to finish on the fast break. Now he has added a steady three. The guy is brutal to play against
- Wilson Chandler or Jeff Green - same players imo
- Mozgov - I rather have then Bass.
- Hansborough - imo needs a chance. David Lee did not pull a proper double double in his 2nd year. He played only 58 games. It wasn't until his fourth year , he was a double double machine. Hansborough doesn't need or can't pull down double digit rebounds consistently when you don't start plus have hibbert as your center. 

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

I agree this is the most likely solution. I also think it's possible we need a backup point guard. We'll see in the coming month what gets done.

Probably not as many picks and/or young players as you'd think. Pierce has a big contract with another year on the end. I know there is an option but I'm not sure that works post-trade. I really don't know. I also can't really see where he fits in on a championship contender. The only team I have heard that makes even a sliver of sense is Golden State and I'm not sure how much they sink into 1 or 2 years of Pierce as far as trading young guys or picks.

3. Fire Rivers. Would our team be better if Greg Popovich was coaching instead? Rivers is an ok coach that has had the luxury to have hof players KG, Pierce, Ray Allen. But when you don't have an optimal team, Rivers can only get you 500 or less. San Antonio has key players that are as old and injured as the ones on our team. They also have several no name guys pops developed that have done the job. No wasting millions of dollars.

No. This is silly. The Popovich argument is silly. He's not available and there is no history with him here. Doc has the locker room. There is really nothing here as far as ideas.

Scal as new coach

R O F L. Love Scal. This is a goofy idea.

Trade Rondo, KG, Sully to ATL for Horford and Jeff Teague

That is an absolutely awful trade for the Celtics. Atlanta should do it as soon as the words leave Ainge's mouth. Horford isn't a top center, he's just not. He's actually not really a center. Teague is extremely unproven. He's averaging 13/6 on 43% shooting this season. That is pedestrian. Rondo could fetch a lot more in my opinion. The thing I liked was trading Rondo and KG in the same blockbuster. That would not only be interesting but might also be worth more because their chemistry.

trade Pierce and Lee to Den for Corey Brewer, Mozgov, Chandler, 1st round pick

You know I'd have trouble not saying yes to that even outside of a rebuild. Maybe not for a 2013 1st rounder. 2014 would be extremely tempting. Unfortunately Denver doesn't want Pierce at all.

Jeff Green to IND for Tyler Hansborough, 1st round pick + salary fill in

That is interesting an again I'd consider doing that around the deadline if only to get out of the contract. The problem is that the Pacers have an overpaid SF in Granger and also a young talented prospect in Paul George. They don't want Green. George is playing great too.

Jason Terry to OKC for Reggie Jackson + salary fill in

I'd ask more for Terry. I think he'd be better in OKC and they'd be smart to trade for him. I'd ask for PJIII or Jeremy Lamb. It would be tough to make the $ work and not get too little but here is another idea:

Terry and Sully/Melo (not both)
for
Perkins

That fits point #1 pretty well.

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree this is the most likely solution. I also think it's possible we need a backup point guard. We'll see in the coming month what gets done.
Agree, this would probably be the type of trade we see mid-season.  if this type of deal doesn't fix things this year, I'd expect a few more in the offseason to get players that fit together better.

Probably not as many picks and/or young players as you'd think. Pierce has a big contract with another year on the end. I know there is an option but I'm not sure that works post-trade. I really don't know. I also can't really see where he fits in on a championship contender. The only team I have heard that makes even a sliver of sense is Golden State and I'm not sure how much they sink into 1 or 2 years of Pierce as far as trading young guys or picks.
PP is only going to bring in just so much based on his play this year.  maybe a couple of low first rounders or a young prospect and a pick.  Moving PP to let Green start, that's a horrible reason to trade PP.  he's still more effective than Green. As for the piece about cap space for Josh Smith, the C's don't get anywhere near enough cap space to sign any FA that's looking for close to max $.

3. Fire Rivers. Would our team be better if Greg Popovich was coaching instead? Rivers is an ok coach that has had the luxury to have hof players KG, Pierce, Ray Allen. But when you don't have an optimal team, Rivers can only get you 500 or less. San Antonio has key players that are as old and injured as the ones on our team. They also have several no name guys pops developed that have done the job. No wasting millions of dollars.

No. This is silly. The Popovich argument is silly. He's not available and there is no history with him here. Doc has the locker room. There is really nothing here as far as ideas.
Never been a fan of Rivers so I wouldn't miss him.  His supposed skills at motivating players have been non-existent since Sheed hit town and infected the team with his "only the playoffs matter" attitude.  Ainge should line up a good new coach before firing Doc though.

Scal as new coach

R O F L. Love Scal. This is a goofy idea.
Scal is enjoyable as a color man on the games but no way I'd hire him as a head coach--until he's proven himself as a coach at some level at a bare minimum.  A team of vets needs an experienced coach to make them productive.  Scal isn't the answer here.

Trade Rondo, KG, Sully to ATL for Horford and Jeff Teague

That is an absolutely awful trade for the Celtics. Atlanta should do it as soon as the words leave Ainge's mouth. Horford isn't a top center, he's just not. He's actually not really a center. Teague is extremely unproven. He's averaging 13/6 on 43% shooting this season. That is pedestrian. Rondo could fetch a lot more in my opinion. The thing I liked was trading Rondo and KG in the same blockbuster. That would not only be interesting but might also be worth more because their chemistry.
this deal is so bad I'm trying not to vomit.  Rondo alone would be worth Horford and Teague.  They're 2 solid players but not a top 5 PG.  I've always wanted Horford on the C's but not in this deal.  He's not a Center but a PF being forced to play there.  Teague is an adequate PG, not spectacular.  more of a combo guard in reality.  The thought of adding KG AND Sully to this deal is just mindbogglingly bad for the C's.

trade Pierce and Lee to Den for Corey Brewer, Mozgov, Chandler, 1st round pick

You know I'd have trouble not saying yes to that even outside of a rebuild. Maybe not for a 2013 1st rounder. 2014 would be extremely tempting. Unfortunately Denver doesn't want Pierce at all.
Not sold on Brewer.  Thought he'd be a much better player out of college.  Now he seems to have improved to the point he's not a complete liability on offense.  he's a taller Lee with less offense (based on Lee's output prior to joining the C's).  Mozgov is intriguing but let's face it, he's not getting big minutes in Denver for a reason.  Chandler and a low pick help sweeten the deal but I'd have to really think about this one.  I wouldn't do this one in a vacuum -- would have to be part of an overall plan to totally revamp the team.

Jeff Green to IND for Tyler Hansborough, 1st round pick + salary fill in

That is interesting an again I'd consider doing that around the deadline if only to get out of the contract. The problem is that the Pacers have an overpaid SF in Granger and also a young talented prospect in Paul George. They don't want Green. George is playing great too.
not enough for Green.  Hansbrough, though tough and active, is a bench guy at best.  any thoughts that he's going to break out with playing time are hugely speculative at best.  if he was that good, they wouldn't have felt the need to sign David West.  Green's the better player by far and an Indy 1st rounder isn't nearly enough to make up the difference in talent.

Jason Terry to OKC for Reggie Jackson + salary fill in

I'd ask more for Terry. I think he'd be better in OKC and they'd be smart to trade for him. I'd ask for PJIII or Jeremy Lamb. It would be tough to make the $ work and not get too little but here is another idea:

Terry and Sully/Melo (not both)
for
Perkins

That fits point #1 pretty well.
moving Terry for a prospect is an idea I like but I don't see the monies working out.  moving him with Sully or Melo to get back Perk is not a good deal.  I love Perk but he's not what he once was.  JET for a good prospect like PJIII or Lamb is preferable but I can't see OKC's need to get him.  They'll need cheap, good, young talent and that's what I think those prospects will become.  Someone's got to step into Harden's shoes in the next year or two and allow them to keep Ibaka and be under the luxury tax too.

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

New lineup

BATH SALTS ANYONE???

What is wrong with scal? He was one of the smartest players on the team, and was pretty much an assistant for doc and thibs the last few years.

we won the championship 3 years ago , not last year. We don't have a collection of top all stars to get in return top all stars. Sully is a good rookie but not the next coming of boozer (not yet anyways).

- Brewer - was never considered a top offensive machine. He was drafted for his defense and ability to finish on the fast break. Now he has added a steady three. The guy is brutal to play against
- Hansborough - imo needs a chance. David Lee did not pull a proper double double in his 2nd year. He played only 58 games. It wasn't until his fourth year , he was a double double machine. Hansborough doesn't need or can't pull down double digit rebounds consistently when you don't start plus have hibbert as your center.

Teague isn't top 10 PG. He is playing his best season now though, so upside potential, I can agree.

Horford is the only true and proven commodity. However, not worth selling the entire farm for.

Brewer has peaked, and not consistent.

Jeff Green > Wilson Chandler all day......we don't know how to use Green

Mozgov? Psycho T???  ??? Not sure what you're seeing there.

SCAL???? Do you really think NBA players have a ton of respect for Scal, who was never a true starter, or even remotely close to dominant at any point in his career? He is a perennial assistant coach for at least a decade to gain experience and respect for his lackluster NBA career.

I agree with you that most of our individual players are not currently at their peak values......Rondo is probably the only one who is close to his true/peak value. With that said, your assessed value seems awfully low. You essentially want us to be the Atlanta Hawks + Psycho T + Brewer + Mosgov with freaking Scal blazing a trail of losses.

NEXT IDEA.

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

New lineup

BATH SALTS ANYONE???

Teague isn't top 10 PG. He is playing his best season now though, so upside potential, I can agree.

Horford is the only true and proven commodity. However, not worth selling the entire farm for.

Brewer has peaked, and not consistent.

Jeff Green > Wilson Chandler all day......we don't know how to use Green

Mozgov? Psycho T???  ??? Not sure what you're seeing there.

SCAL???? Do you really think NBA players have a ton of respect for Scal, who was never a true starter, or even remotely close to dominant at any point in his career? He is a perennial assistant coach for at least a decade to gain experience and respect for his lackluster NBA career.

I agree with you that most of our individual players are not currently at their peak values......Rondo is probably the only one who is close to his true/peak value. With that said, your assessed value seems awfully low. You essentially want us to be the Atlanta Hawks + Psycho T + Brewer + Mosgov with freaking Scal blazing a trail of losses.

NEXT IDEA.

TP to SD. This thread makes me feel like I've landed on Real GM again.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I just want to ask "realistic" celtic fans, what do you think we could get back for kg, pp and rondo?

I mean you guys think we can get the world back for them or something. Be objective . Also Scal turned down an assistant job with the bulls to be a color commentator. If he had little to no respect, who in their right mind would hire this guy to be a color commentator?  You got to know your stuff

When you hear him , he knows what he is talking about. He was pretty much the only bench guy, in every key 4th quarter time out to actively participate in huddles and listen, even though he was not going to play. Yeah he was never the scoring champ, but was Doc ever? Was Dwayne Casey ever?

The other thing is, when you blow up a team, guys like Phil Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy are not going to die to want to coach your team. Its going to be a good asst or a has been dying to get back in the game. I rather try Scal, who knows the org, knows how to execute plays, and is good with young players.

Going back to my blow up trade idea, getting Horford and Teague for Rondo, KG, Sully would be a fair trade. Def the type of shake up you may need going forward. Atl is not dumb to get a 36 year old guy who might retire on them after this season. And rondo is not worth both Teague and Horford alone

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I just want to ask "realistic" celtic fans, what do you think we could get back for kg, pp and rondo?
Garnett and Pierce = very little. Maybe some improved cap flexibility and a so-so prospect (limited upside) or late first round pick for each one of them.

Rondo has terrific value. He could net a top 15 player in return. Or if going for youth, a top five draft pick plus several others assets. Another quality asset and some low level young ones.

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
"That is interesting an again I'd consider doing that around the deadline if only to get out of the contract. The problem is that the Pacers have an overpaid SF in Granger and also a young talented prospect in Paul George. They don't want Green. George is playing great too."

West is a FA next year and the pacers will try all their best to trade Granger by the trade deadline this year. The reason i think Indiana would be intrigued with Green is that, he had an excellent relationship with Hibbert and almost helped Georgetown win it all 5 years ago.

Also Green is >> than Wilson Chandler? Really?
Look at their career stats, and its almost identical. I actually like Chandler's mid range game better. Better dribbler also. But other than that, almost the same player, with similar size and athleticism.

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Scal has good coaching potential. I think he'll be a head coach in the NBA someday and very likely to be a good one. He had a lot of qualities as a player that I believe correlate well with coaching success.

That said, I am not dumping Doc to take a chance on Scal though. Doc is a high level coach.