Author Topic: Rondo Dogging It on Defense  (Read 6536 times)

Re: Rondo Dogging It on Defense
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Seriously terry is so bad. Can we swap him for Etuan Moore?

I mean he has to come around right? He hasn't always been one of thebworst guards in the league has he?

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Seriously terry is so bad. Can we swap him for Etuan Moore?

I mean he has to come around right? He hasn't always been one of thebworst guards in the league has he?

Ew no. Just because his defense is atrocious doesnt mean he is "one of the worst guards in the league". His shooting percentages are pretty much identical to his career averages. His scoring is down because he is getting less shots and less minutes.

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Terry's defense is awful but I don't believe it is from a lack of effort.

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
His effort is inconsistent, though even when he's locked in on that end he needs to be protected defensively.

Which is why we absolutely have to get more value from him offensively when he's on the court.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
As for Rondo, he's hurt at the moment and its really effecting his defense.

Prior to his injury his defense has mostly been good this year, with some serious lax stretches and other excellent games. (he did a great job denying OJ Mayo for example any jump shots and the ball for entire quarters)

I do think that he's a much better defender when his minutes don't creep near 40, you can see him get tired and when he's tired his bad defensive habits occur more often.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
His effort is inconsistent, though even when he's locked in on that end he needs to be protected defensively.

Which is why we absolutely have to get more value from him offensively when he's on the court.
He doesn't concern me defensively, he is what it is, and what he is will be fine coming off the bench.

The problem is noone on the team seems to know what his role is, including Terry himself. Is he a starter? Is he a sixth man? Do we run the Ray Allen plays for him? Do we give him the ball and let him create off the dribble to the best of his ability?

The issue here is not so much poor coaching decision, but the need for him to be all of these at different times simply because the rest of the team hasn't performed. It's too much to ask from a 35-year-old guard.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rondo is completely lazy on defense and (outside of the Playoffs) hasn't even bent his knees for a while now. It drives him insane. Back when he was a role player he worked to shut people down and really keep PG's out on the perimeter... now he stands there daring guys to shoot or he's just etting them by so he can attempt to stript it from behind.

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
I couldn't agree more.  Just read an article about how much Rondo hates to lose.  Hey Rondo - if you hate losing, how about shutting down your man and stop letting him completely expose our defense when he dribbles effortlessly into the lane.  Try pretending it is the playoffs and you are guarding LBJ.  I know that you have it in you but, for some reason, it needs to be a special occasion before you get serious on the defensive end.  Trying to strip the ball after your man blows by you is NOT defense.   

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
the team isn't protecting the lanes through the paint...to me this starts with ther play of the guards.   

ROndo defense is suspect many moments during a game...he sorta tunes out and drifts in to space.

IF you want to score on the Celtics , just go to the paint, buckets ARE FREE !!! ;D