Author Topic: How we should "roll".  (Read 1681 times)

How we should "roll".
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
With the current personnel of Celtic players....this is how I would envision we roll as a team.

Philosphy - Instigating an uptempo style defensive team with pressing, half court trapping etc. in the effort to force turnovers to start our transition.

Reasoning:

Our strength is in our depth at smaller positions.

Our weakness is upfront so we can't always depend on rebounding to start our fast break.

We should apply more pressure to force turnovers which would start our fast break.

We have versatile tweener guys who can do this if we so choose.

I think our featured player, Rondo would prefer to run more.

Most of our players are capable transition type players.

Re: How we should "roll".
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I agree with your ideas but we just simply aren't getting stops.  Without getting stops we won't be getting in transition.  I hope Avery helps our bigs by preventing penetration because some of our bigs, especially Bass, are just terrible on rotations right now.  Far regressed from last year I think, which is puzzling.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I like the premise of having a pressing team.  we have the personnel to do this more or less (JET, not so much) and it would significantly impact the other team's offense.  it would also hopefully lead to steals and thus more easy baskets.  I could see Bradley and to an extent Lee and Green doing this.  not so much with Rondo or PP.  probably not so much with Barbosa either but Bradley, Lee and Green should be able to provide a pretty good pressing unit.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I like the premise of having a pressing team.

Doesn't work in the NBA - ask Richard Pitino...

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like the premise of having a pressing team.

Doesn't work in the NBA - ask Richard Pitino...

I agree with the OP.  I don't think he's talking a Rick Pitino style "full court press," but more pressure on the wings, picking up players early, trying to create turnovers.  I'd like to see more of that. 

Bradley's comeback automatically makes us more of a pressure team.  You could see it already against the Grizzlies.  I want a more defensively aggressive Jeff Green too. 

If Doc's in love with small ball, the point has to be to use a speed advantage in that lineup.  I haven't really seen that materialize yet this year. 

I'm still hoping it'll come together. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:08:53 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If we had a healthy Wilcox and Darko, I could maybe see us trying to match up with other opposing big lineups, but the fact that we have to play Collins as a big and Jeff Green at the 4, that is clearly not our teams strength.

Let's get away from that.

Let's move more toward the positives of our personnel.

My hope is that if we have circular pegs, let's try to find the circular holes to plug them into instead of trying to force them into the triangle shaped holes.

I think Doc's done enough tinkering to know that so far nothing has worked and now with Bradley back, maybe we can just let our team be.