Author Topic: Starting to think terry should be the odd man out  (Read 7351 times)

Re: Starting to think terry should be the odd man out
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The title of this thread is basically true. It's not that Terry is horrible and isn't going to get better, but if he isn't scoring, then he isn't anything. He had a nice little stretch to end the game tonight, but that wasn't enough. From a sheer size/age/defensive standpoint, Lee really should be our focus moving forward, especially if we don't get in a position to make a somewhat serious run - which is looking pretty unlikely at this point.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Terry has always been a one dimensional player... even in his prime.  His size prevents him from making much of an impact. Nice scorer off the bench.  Nothing more.   He's started for some teams by default, because they had no better option, but he's never been a great player.  Excellent option off the bench if you're lookin for some points, though.

Courtney Lee is our best all around shooting guard and even he is probably best off coming off the bench.  Not a building block or anything.

Have to completely disagree with you here, guy was a huge difference maker in the Mavericks run to championship.

I hope he can get some of his swagger back. He still impresses me with his ability to hit out of rhythm shots, but obviously this starts been discouraging.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Terry has to be the leagues worst defensive guard. It's almost like replay 4 on 5 when he is out on the perimeter.

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 12:04:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Terry gets the same treatment from Doc as the big three.
meaning he could play absolutely terrible and still get his minutes and respect from Doc.
It's called "playing your best players through slumps". You should check it out, most of the NBA coaches do it.
problem is Doc often ignores what works during the game and goes back to his usual guys to finish the game no matter how bad they played.

Yeah this is huge. All of a sudden doc picks tonight to play KG a full quarter? Terry hit two big threes for us but Lee was playing very well. Doc goes against his rotations an keep the starters in for the entire 4th quarter until garbage time? Yes the bench players have let us down so far but tonight:

Green was 4/5 with 10 points in just 15 minutes.
Lee was 3/4 with 8 points attacking the rim and playing great defense in just 12 minutes.
And Bass was 3/5 with 9 points, although lacking in the rebounds department, in 23 minutes.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 12:14:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I strongly believe that, once he gets fully up to speed, Bradley should be the SG during the closing minutes of the 4th quarter in a close game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Im just convinced that Terry is having the worst year of his career.

I never imagined he could be this bad. He literally hasn't given the Celtics anything

Agree, but I think he was a bad fit scheme wise.  Yeah he is a veteran and a champion and clutch and all that, but he is truly a terrible defensive player.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
meaning he could play absolutely terrible and still get his minutes and respect from Doc.
It's called "playing your best players through slumps". You should check it out, most of the NBA coaches do it.
problem is Doc often ignores what works during the game and goes back to his usual guys to finish the game no matter how bad they played.

Yeah this is huge. All of a sudden doc picks tonight to play KG a full quarter? Terry hit two big threes for us but Lee was playing very well. Doc goes against his rotations an keep the starters in for the entire 4th quarter until garbage time? Yes the bench players have let us down so far but tonight:

Lee was 3/4 with 8 points attacking the rim and playing great defense in just 12 minutes.
And Bass was 3/5 with 9 points, although lacking in the rebounds department, in 23 minutes.

Yet another example for my theory that Doc has a fetish for underplaying players when they're playing well, and overplaying players when they're playing poorly.

It's ridiculous. If Green was 1 for 7, I bet you he would've played 29 minutes last night.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
It's funny that many, including myself, felt Terry could step right in for Ray's bench roll.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Yet another example for my theory that Doc has a fetish for underplaying players when they're playing well, and overplaying players when they're playing poorly.

It's ridiculous. If Green was 1 for 7, I bet you he would've played 29 minutes last night.

Yeah I really cant figure it out either. Its like he wants to play a player out of a slump in those situations. But then when they play well, he doesnt reward them he just sits them.

I'll never forget the game I went to the Garden to see the celts against Orlando in the playoffs. Marbury scores 16 points in the first half, gives us a major boost. Then when we needed offense in the second half, Doc sits him the rest of the game.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Im just convinced that Terry is having the worst year of his career.

I never imagined he could be this bad. He literally hasn't given the Celtics anything

Agree, but I think he was a bad fit scheme wise.  Yeah he is a veteran and a champion and clutch and all that, but he is truly a terrible defensive player.

He and us are doing terrible. But before the year I thought he would be a better ball handler than Ray, can shoot off the dribble better than Ray, offer similar albeit worse 3this point spot up shooting, and equally porous defense.

I think everyone and their grandma knew he was a terrible defensive player when he got here. But everyone and their grandma thought he was a good offensive player as well. So far only one of those things is true.

All he has to be is good not great but definitely not terrible. With the way he is playing you wouldn't be able to get a second round pick for him. I can't imagine anyone wanting him even for free on another team. Maybe im exagerrating a little bit but it's kinda of sad that we would probably be getting more production out of Etuan Moore than him.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
If you need offense put in Barbosa.

He can be a black hole at times but he's better defensively, plays with more energy, can get easier buckets, draws contact better.

Unless Terry plays high level offensively he brings pretty much nothing. Barely notice him on the court

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Terry is shooting about the same as some previous years in his career. This is nothing outside the norm. He had a bad shooting month in December, but he had a very good shooting month in November. There's nothing to suggest that Terry suddenly has lost his shooting touch. It is what it is. That said, Doc has been using him incorrectly, and putting him in positions where he's not likely to succeed. Plus, he and Rondo together don't mesh well.

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Terry has always been a one dimensional player... even in his prime.  His size prevents him from making much of an impact. Nice scorer off the bench.  Nothing more.   He's started for some teams by default, because they had no better option, but he's never been a great player.  Excellent option off the bench if you're lookin for some points, though.

Courtney Lee is our best all around shooting guard and even he is probably best off coming off the bench.  Not a building block or anything.

Have to completely disagree with you here, guy was a huge difference maker in the Mavericks run to championship.

I hope he can get some of his swagger back. He still impresses me with his ability to hit out of rhythm shots, but obviously this starts been discouraging.
Agree.  It's all about swagger/confidence.  For every shot Terry misses right now that means another one will go in when he's got it going (hopefully in the playoffs).

I love how shocked people are by Terry's play.  As if this isn't what he's always done.  HE'S A STREAKY PLAYER FOLKS.  Some games he won't miss, some games he won't hit at all.  Regardless, he's been shooting his career percentages since he got here.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It's funny that many, including myself, felt Terry could step right in for Ray's bench roll.
The talent is there. It's Doc's fault it hasn't happened.