Author Topic: Doc will get fired soon  (Read 31367 times)

Re: Doc will get fired soon
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2013, 09:42:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Doc is not getting fired while KG and Pierce are still here. KG, Pierce, and Rondo are all on record saying they want to play only for Doc the rest of their careers. If Doc is fired, KG and Pierce will retire, and Rondo will ask for a trade.

I think Garnett would be a risk to retire if the decision was made in the off-season. If the change was made in-season though, I think with 40-50 games to get used to his new coach, Garnett could be convinced that things are still in a very good place and that he should stick around. I would worry about KG retiring if a decision was in the off-season. It feels like he has been pretty close to retiring at the end of the season for a few years now. A coaching change could push him over the edge.

I don't think Pierce would retire because of Doc. Pierce strikes me as too pragmatic for that. He will move on to the next coach and life will still be good for him.

I don't think Rondo asks to be traded because of Doc. I can't think of the word to describe ... ermm, Rondo doesn't strike me as the type of man who would allow his own life / career to be so closely tied to another individual. Too self-reliant, self-sufficient.

« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
If the loses keep piling up and Danny will still not fire Rivers than ownership won't have a choice but to can both Ainge and Rivers. Ainge is playing a dangerous game of not doing what is best for the org vs keeping his personal loyalty in tact.
Right, except firing Doc Rivers is not what's "best for the organization". Whoops!

Boy, I wonder what the Celtics will do when Doc "Coach for life" Rivers retires in 30 years and they have to get someone to replace him.  What pitiful mortal could ever hope to follow the Alpha and Omega of all coaching glory?  Maybe by then they'll have perfected human cloning so there shall never be anyone except a "Doc" coaching Boston's intrepid team!

Our Doc, who art in Boston,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy contract be ever extended,
Thy decisions never be questioned,
on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day another day of not playing Darko.
Forgive us for wondering why you're running Jason Terry off baseline screens.
Lead us not into the temptation of wanting a team that doesn't suck,
But deliver us from the evil of doubting Thine Eternal Perfection,
For Thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory.
For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

Amen.

Mike

CAN'T. STOP. LAUGHING!   ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Let me reiterate again:

The debate here is not what gives you a better overall result. Of course getting more opportunities to score does, and in this sense offensive rebounds are good. But so are regular rebounds and steals.

The discussion is about metrics that accurately reflect how efficienttly you put the ball in the basket, all else equal.

It's the all else equal part that I'm finding lacking. In one example the Celtics had 2 possessions. In the second example they had 1 possession.

And as I illustrated above, grabbing an offensive rebound doesn't necessarily lead to better results. In fact, it might lead to a lower FG% if the subsequent shot was missed. But in maintaining the equality of the possessions, it would be reflected just the same as in the scenario A mentioned above, only with a lower FG%, yet with the same PPP.

Make with that what you will. One team having the same PPP as another team, doesn't mean that they're as efficient with their shots, but it does reflect their ability to score the ball given the possession.
The point is, in both cases the Celtics have had two shot clocks, and have taken two shots -- and the 1 possession vs 2 possession is a bizzare artifact of the idea that getting an offensive rebound somehow counts for "extending" the possession rather than generating a new one.

Again, this discussion started with the definition of possession, which I find inadequate for the purposes of measuring offensive firepower.

I'm sure there's an argument to be made that PPP indicates how many points you'll expect to get, on average, after the ball changes hands from one team to the other. I don't find this indicative of how good or efficient offense you're running.

I don't know why you're going to this length to make your point, since your point is very valid without going into what constitutes a possession or not. Also, you're doing an inaccurate assumption. A missed shot, and a subsequent offensive rebound doesn't necessarily generate a new shot clock.

Also, why limit the end of a possession when one shoots the ball? By your definition, would a possession only end if the missed shot hit the rim? Does that distinction actually matter?

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
If the loses keep piling up and Danny will still not fire Rivers than ownership won't have a choice but to can both Ainge and Rivers. Ainge is playing a dangerous game of not doing what is best for the org vs keeping his personal loyalty in tact.
Right, except firing Doc Rivers is not what's "best for the organization". Whoops!

Boy, I wonder what the Celtics will do when Doc "Coach for life" Rivers retires in 30 years and they have to get someone to replace him.  What pitiful mortal could ever hope to follow the Alpha and Omega of all coaching glory?  Maybe by then they'll have perfected human cloning so there shall never be anyone except a "Doc" coaching Boston's intrepid team!

Hallowed be Thy name.
For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

Amen.

Mike

This is just offensive in so many ways.  Great 'logic' with your thoughts on Doc.  Congrats.  Seems like the forum is turning into the espn comments section where no one has to make a reasonable point.  They just belch out whatever comes to their mind without thinking it through.

Doc is 375-265 for a 59% win % in the years leading up to this season.  We have been in the eastern conf finals 2 out of the last 3 years.  I guess winning so much really spoils some people.

no, you are quite simply wrong. plenty here have laid out the problems with doc. I did it the other day. There were several bullet points i addressed....but plenty here just want to ignore it or tap dance around the issues with excuses.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2013, 10:13:57 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
If you fire Doc, you [dang] sure better fire Delusional Danny as well. The only thing that guy knows is that Charmin Green must be signed at all cost. The Knicks put a bench together for less than half of what Delusional paid for the C's bench and the Knicks bench is better. I hope both get replaced and I really don't care what the players think. The team isn't going anywhere now whether the players are happy or not.

« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
watching the Knicks and Spurs tonight, I just can't but see how outclassed this Celtic team is.....

TURRIBLE..... JUST TURRIBLE

« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Answer me this : Who would we hire in Doc's place?

End of story. We aren't firing Doc Rivers.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Hallowed be Thy name.

Amen.

Mike

This is just offensive in so many ways.  Great 'logic' with your thoughts on Doc.  Congrats.  Seems like the forum is turning into the espn comments section where no one has to make a reasonable point.  They just belch out whatever comes to their mind without thinking it through.

Doc is 375-265 for a 59% win % in the years leading up to this season.  We have been in the eastern conf finals 2 out of the last 3 years.  I guess winning so much really spoils some people.

no, you are quite simply wrong. plenty here have laid out the problems with doc. I did it the other day. There were several bullet points i addressed....but plenty here just want to ignore it or tap dance around the issues with excuses.

I am so glad that you are hear to tell me what I should find offensive.  Awesome. 

My comment wasn't even addressed to you, it was to MBunge.  I responded to a bunch of your posts in other threads.  I think you are wrong.  So there. haha

« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
watching the Knicks and Spurs tonight, I just can't but see how outclassed this Celtic team is.....

doc will right the ship. no worries mate.

he will scream in the players faces and tell his 4 dribble drivers(rondo, green, barbosa, and pierce) to attack the rack. he will tell KG and sully he wants them posting up down low most of the time. he will use terry in a better more efficient way instead of forcing him to play TRAITOR's old role. He will bench guys who do not listen to him immediately.

best coach in da league. bar none.

::)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2013, 06:37:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Let me reiterate again:

The debate here is not what gives you a better overall result. Of course getting more opportunities to score does, and in this sense offensive rebounds are good. But so are regular rebounds and steals.

The discussion is about metrics that accurately reflect how efficienttly you put the ball in the basket, all else equal.

It's the all else equal part that I'm finding lacking. In one example the Celtics had 2 possessions. In the second example they had 1 possession.

And as I illustrated above, grabbing an offensive rebound doesn't necessarily lead to better results. In fact, it might lead to a lower FG% if the subsequent shot was missed. But in maintaining the equality of the possessions, it would be reflected just the same as in the scenario A mentioned above, only with a lower FG%, yet with the same PPP.

Make with that what you will. One team having the same PPP as another team, doesn't mean that they're as efficient with their shots, but it does reflect their ability to score the ball given the possession.
The point is, in both cases the Celtics have had two shot clocks, and have taken two shots -- and the 1 possession vs 2 possession is a bizzare artifact of the idea that getting an offensive rebound somehow counts for "extending" the possession rather than generating a new one.

Again, this discussion started with the definition of possession, which I find inadequate for the purposes of measuring offensive firepower.

I'm sure there's an argument to be made that PPP indicates how many points you'll expect to get, on average, after the ball changes hands from one team to the other. I don't find this indicative of how good or efficient offense you're running.
You can't get a new possession without possession actually changing hands.  Thus an offensive rebound merely extends a possession, it does not create a new one.  It is far better to miss ten shots and get ten offensive rebounds then it is to miss ten shots and get zero offensive rebounds.  In the first, the other team has no opportunity to score, in the second the other team has ten opportunities to score.  Sure your FG% would be the same in each instance, but your offensive efficiency is better in the first, since your offense keeps the other teams defense from doing anything. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
You can't get a new possession without possession actually changing hands.  Thus an offensive rebound merely extends a possession, it does not create a new one.  It is far better to miss ten shots and get ten offensive rebounds then it is to miss ten shots and get zero offensive rebounds.  In the first, the other team has no opportunity to score, in the second the other team has ten opportunities to score.  Sure your FG% would be the same in each instance, but your offensive efficiency is better in the first, since your offense keeps the other teams defense from doing anything.
[/quote]

See, this is a fact.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

he will scream in the players faces and tell his 4 dribble drivers(rondo, green, barbosa, and pierce) to attack the rack. he will tell KG and sully he wants them posting up down low most of the time. he will use terry in a better more efficient way instead of forcing him to play TRAITOR's old role. He will bench guys who do not listen to him immediately.

He is modern feel good coach.......it was funny , they were showing an OLD GREG POP interview.... they asked was he happy with the way his team was playing...he frowned even more (than usual) HAPPY!!!! I never happy even when we are playing good... I don't come here to BE HAPPY , we come here to WIN .  Happy is a discusting word, and I don't like the word. Its for losers  "  He was being funny, but he the under lying truth he is more demanding than not ...he'll get on their ---- if they aren't playing

Doc is TOO soft .  He is love hippy. peace and all that racket,lets shake hands before we play..... No way, LArry Bird and Parrish hated their opponents and played like it. ....You look your opponent in the eye , and tell them they'll be lucky to survive tonight , your kicking their tail.

« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »

• Dennis Johnson

He is modern feel good coach.......it was funny , they were showing an OLD GREG POP interview.... they asked was he happy with the way his team was playing...he frowned even more (than usual) HAPPY!!!! I never happy even when we are playing good... I don't come here to BE HAPPY , we come here to WIN .  Happy is a discusting word, and I don't like the word. Its for losers  "  He was being funny, but he the under lying truth he is more demanding than not ...he'll get on their ---- if they aren't playing

Doc is TOO soft .  He is love hippy. peace and all that racket,lets shake hands before we play..... No way, LArry Bird and Parrish hated their opponents and played like it. ....You look your opponent in the eye , and tell them they'll be lucky to survive tonight , your kicking their tail.

All i see him doing now is acting like an assistant when players come off by giving them a big ole fistbump or pat on the ass. even his style of not attacking for offensive rebounds is not working because we cannot stop anyone even when we get set on defense. Red is probably rolling in his grave watching how clueless we look. sad.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Answer me this : Who would we hire in Doc's place?

End of story. We aren't firing Doc Rivers.

One of the Van Gundy boys.  Stan went to the Finals with a team that had less talent than what Doc has had since KG and Ray showed up and is anybody going to argue that Jeff isn't a proven coach?  Even after all the success with Boston the last 6 years, JVG still has a better career winning percentage as a coach than Doc.

Danny Ainge.

Larry Brown, for one last run with this group.

Lawrence Frank.

Nate McMillan.

Avery Johnson.

Flip Saunders.

Jerry Sloan.

Terry Porter.

Now, Ainge wouldn't want to do it and there are, of course, things to pick apart with the rest of that list.  But without even looking hard at any promising young NBA assistants or the college ranks, there's 10 guys Boston could probably get to replace Doc if the team wanted to.

Would any of them do a better job than Doc?  Who knows?  But every one of those guys except Porter and Frank right now have better coaching resumes than Doc did before KG and Ray joined the Celtics.

And let me mention that just as I thought it was stupid for the Lakers to can Mike Brown and the Nets to fire Johnson, it would be ridiculous to fire Doc at this point.  But even more ridiculous is the idea that Doc is the ONE TRUE COACH and that there's no one else in the world that could replace "the precious".

Mike

« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I doubt it.
Danny and the owners aren't ones to make "panic" moves.
Celtics fan for life.