Author Topic: Doc will get fired soon  (Read 31337 times)

Re: Doc will get fired soon
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If the loses keep piling up and Danny will still not fire Rivers than ownership won't have a choice but to can both Ainge and Rivers. Ainge is playing a dangerous game of not doing what is best for the org vs keeping his personal loyalty in tact.
Right, except firing Doc Rivers is not what's "best for the organization". Whoops!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Our three games lost in California were by the WORST margin in like 34 years.  So yes, HISTORIC would be a very accurate adjective.

Smitty77

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If the loses keep piling up and Danny will still not fire Rivers than ownership won't have a choice but to can both Ainge and Rivers. Ainge is playing a dangerous game of not doing what is best for the org vs keeping his personal loyalty in tact.
Right, except firing Doc Rivers is not what's "best for the organization". Whoops!

Boy, I wonder what the Celtics will do when Doc "Coach for life" Rivers retires in 30 years and they have to get someone to replace him.  What pitiful mortal could ever hope to follow the Alpha and Omega of all coaching glory?  Maybe by then they'll have perfected human cloning so there shall never be anyone except a "Doc" coaching Boston's intrepid team!

Our Doc, who art in Boston,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy contract be ever extended,
Thy decisions never be questioned,
on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day another day of not playing Darko.
Forgive us for wondering why you're running Jason Terry off baseline screens.
Lead us not into the temptation of wanting a team that doesn't suck,
But deliver us from the evil of doubting Thine Eternal Perfection,
For Thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory.
For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

Amen.

Mike

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Boy, I wonder what the Celtics will do when Doc "Coach for life" Rivers retires in 30 years and they have to get someone to replace him.  What pitiful mortal could ever hope to follow the Alpha and Omega of all coaching glory?  Maybe by then they'll have perfected human cloning so there shall never be anyone except a "Doc" coaching Boston's intrepid team!

Hallowed be Thy name.
For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

Amen.

Mike

Give this guy some TPs for one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum.

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Wow...

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Hallowed be Thy name.

Amen.

Mike
Very convincing. Has this ever worked when you've run out of reasonable arguments?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Hallowed be Thy name.

Amen.

Mike

This is just offensive in so many ways.  Great 'logic' with your thoughts on Doc.  Congrats.  Seems like the forum is turning into the espn comments section where no one has to make a reasonable point.  They just belch out whatever comes to their mind without thinking it through.

Doc is 375-265 for a 59% win % in the years leading up to this season.  We have been in the eastern conf finals 2 out of the last 3 years.  I guess winning so much really spoils some people.

« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2013, 07:31:18 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Hallowed be Thy name.

Amen.

Mike

incredibly lame.

« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Doc is not getting fired while KG and Pierce are still here. KG, Pierce, and Rondo are all on record saying they want to play only for Doc the rest of their careers. If Doc is fired, KG and Pierce will retire, and Rondo will ask for a trade.

« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Doc's not getting fired anytime soon. 

It would take a total mutiny/tune-out for  it to happen or seasons of losing. Not a couple of months.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Doc is not getting fired while KG and Pierce are still here. KG, Pierce, and Rondo are all on record saying they want to play only for Doc the rest of their careers. If Doc is fired, KG and Pierce will retire, and Rondo will ask for a trade.

Rondo said that?

May I have a link? Not questioning legitimacy just curious.

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

I miss the old days when players played and coaches coached and players did not dictate who would coach the team. So tired of the I am going to take my ball and go home if I don't get my way attitude that pervades all sports. I don't believe Doc should be fired, but I hate this crap about what the players will do if he was to be fired.

« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What exactly would a new coach change? Doc is trying a lot of different things, I don't like how he's used Terry but that's not why we're struggling certainly.

« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I miss the old days when players played and coaches coached and players did not dictate who would coach the team. So tired of the I am going to take my ball and go home if I don't get my way attitude that pervades all sports. I don't believe Doc should be fired, but I hate this crap about what the players will do if he was to be fired.
But how to maximize your current roster is the job of the coach, if they'd react poorly to his firing that is a consideration.

In this case if Doc goes its almost certainly a signal that we're going into a full rebuild with a new coach. In that case the only player that really matters is Rondo.

« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

My initial response was way more snarky, because this issue also annoys me, but in the reverse. I see no reason why players shouldnt have a huge say in where they play, who they play with, and who coaches them. They aren't children, and they're not incapable of making choices that are not only good for them, but also good for the organization.

Take for instance, guys who will without question outperform their contracts. Guys like Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, LeBron James. Under the current CBA, they unquestionably bring more money to the team, to the area than they actually get paid. Why shouldn't they have say in who is calling the shots?

Sometimes it goes poorly. Jerry Sloan comes immediately to mind, so does Rick Adelman. But not all coaches who get fired because of players are unjustly ousted. Coaches can lose a lockerroom, no matter how good they are. Stan Van Gundy comes to mind, so does Flip Saunders, Don Nelson, Avery Johnson (Dallas version) and Vinnie Del Negro. If a coach can't command the respect of his lockerroom without the aid of a contractually binding agreement between player and team, why should he keep his job?

And if a coach has the support of his team, and if guys agreed to stay on because they liked the coach, why shouldn't the players feel betrayed if the coach is thrown under the bus?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:00:27 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner