Author Topic: Doc will get fired soon  (Read 31350 times)

Re: Doc will get fired soon
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 11:10:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
To be clear I don't think he'll be fired nor should he be,

But I've often wondered why the Celtics offense hasn't been better throughout the years. He's a great play caller out of timeouts, and the roster has always had a good deal of fire power. Never could understand why we're always near the middle of the pack offensively.

The TS% numbers were always good, esp when Ray and Pierce were shooting 40%+ from deep.

But we're a jump shooting team. Our best penetration threats are a sometimes unwilling Rondo, and an aging pierce. So if our jumper isn't falling, our PPPossession numbers are up and down at best.

Defense was always the strength.

Hey you guys remember when Pierce, KG, and Ray were all in their early-30s?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2013, 11:23:16 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Don't see it happening
If he continues to put Sullinger on Marc Gasol it could. That's just screaming "I made a bet on this game". It's beyond horrid coaching

Seriously, tell me who else Doc should put on Gasol if KG is on ZR?  What other 7' stud defender do we have on this team?  And don't say collins or I will throw up.

Why not just switch Sullinger on Randolph, and put KG on Gasol?

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Don't see it happening
If he continues to put Sullinger on Marc Gasol it could. That's just screaming "I made a bet on this game". It's beyond horrid coaching

Seriously, tell me who else Doc should put on Gasol if KG is on ZR?  What other 7' stud defender do we have on this team?  And don't say collins or I will throw up.

because kg on gasol is a bad match up.

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:04 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Don't see it happening

because kg on gasol is a bad match up.

True, got a point. But you can't play the center position and shy away from real centers

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Not a chance.

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 11:52:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If this this historic losing streak continues, Doc will by gone by January 20th!!!

He is an average coach at best, and he apparently has LOST this team.

This is sad.  The effort is pitiful.  The commitment to small ball by Doc is simply astonishing. 

We might be playing the WORST basketball in the NBA.

Smitty77

historic losing streak? we've lost 4 games in a row.

and no, we are not playing THE WORST basketball in the NBA, some teams haven't hit double digits in the W column yet.

They aren't going to fire a Coach who is 3 games under .500 1/4 into the season who just took his team to the conference finals.

Now, if this keeps up another month or two, then the rumblings will start.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »

LEHGOCELTICS

As much as I don't agree with some of Doc's rotations, firing Doc just makes no sense. The primary culprit is the personnel.

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2013, 12:35:23 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
And who are we going to hire? Who? Seriously? No one can help this team right now outside of Danny, the team sucks. The personnel is the issue. Doc has TOO MANY options and Danny needs to get him 7-8 guys who clearly belong in the rotation. Get Doc the right players and he will lead this team to victory.

Not even Phil Jackson is going to win with Jason Collins starting at center...without a Micheal or Kobe...we don't have one of those.  ::)

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The TS% numbers were always good, esp when Ray and Pierce were shooting 40%+ from deep.

But we're a jump shooting team. Our best penetration threats are a sometimes unwilling Rondo, and an aging pierce. So if our jumper isn't falling, our PPPossession numbers are up and down at best.

What about other offensive measures, like number of shots, number of free throws, turnovers and numbers of quarters below 20 points?  How about building an offense that doesn't rely on jump shooting?  How about NOT starting out this season expecting Terry and Lee to run the exact same plays that Ray did when he was here?

Mike

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I have never been a Doc Rivers fan.  I have always found him to be a phony and a bit two faced i.e. says one thing, but does another.  That said, I can't imagine he could do anything that would get him fired this season.  Perhaps in the off season, but even that is highly unlikely, and would only be possible if Boston has a horrible season, doesn't make the playoffs, and Doc seems to be a problem (as opposed to the players). 

Honestly I think Ainge is closer to being fired than Rivers given Ainge saddled the team with a lot of big long contracts on players he shouldn't have.  That seems to be a bigger problem from an ownership standpoint (after all Doc can only coach the players Ainge gave him).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Even if this team completely tanks, Doc will make it to the end of the season at least.  Danny and ownership have too much respect for him, and they also realize that if they fire him midseason, its more likely to hurt the team more, because the players love him, than it is to fix anything. 

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

What about other offensive measures, like number of shots

The Celtics have been among the league's slowest teams consistently in the KG era (by slowest I mean # of possessions (shots or turnovers) per 48 minutes, PACE).

If you took all the NBA teams since KG's acquisition and sorted them by PACE, you wouldn't get to a Celtics team until #91.

It has historically been a product of an emphasis on defense, and a lack of second chance opportunities, which is a conscious choice.

number of free throws

Yup, that's a real problem. But you know, the Celtics have been usually right in the middle of the pack in terms of another stat, FT/FGA, or free throws per shot attempt. Something to think about. 

turnovers

Always been a problem. But, its a bit mitigated by the assist numbers. The Celtics have been among the top two teams in the league in AST ratio (the % of team possessions that end in an assist), and in eFG%.

and numbers of quarters below 20 points?  How about building an offense that doesn't rely on jump shooting?  How about NOT starting out this season expecting Terry and Lee to run the exact same plays that Ray did when he was here?

Mike

This stuff I got nothin for.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

But I've often wondered why the Celtics offense hasn't been better throughout the years. He's a great play caller out of timeouts, and the roster has always had a good deal of fire power. Never could understand why we're always near the middle of the pack offensively.

an elementary student or a high school dropout could draw up out of timeout basketball plays...completely overrated....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:55:06 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

an elementary student or a high school dropout could draw up out of timeout basketball plays...completely overrated

Then why is Doc so much better at it than almost all coaches in the league?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:35 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

an elementary student or a high school dropout could draw up out of timeout basketball plays...completely overrated

Then why is Doc so much better at it than almost all coaches in the league?

yeah because a Paul pierce iso or Rondo to kg alley pop is rocket science....face it they need no coach at all to do these plays