Author Topic: 3 Way Deal Bos/Tor/Sac (Simmons Idea)  (Read 19261 times)

3 Way Deal Bos/Tor/Sac (Simmons Idea)
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I know the DMC rumors are dying down, but I saw this Simmons tweet on Celticslife and it got me thinking, after some tweaks here's what I came up with:

Boston Sends: Rajon Rondo, Courtney Lee, Fab Melo
Boston Receives: Demarcus Cousins, Chuck Hayes, Kyle Lowry

Toronto Sends: Demar Derozan, Kyle Lowry
Toronto Receives: Tyreke Evans, Isiah Thomas, Francisco Garcia

Sacramento Sends: Demarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, Chuck Hayes, Francisco Garcia, Isiah Thomas
Sacramento Receives: Rajon Rondo, Courtney Lee, Demar Derozan, Fab Melo

I'm wondering what people think of the basic premise of the trade:

Would you do it? If yes, would you still do it if it was Jose Calderon instead of Kyle Lowry? Do you think I'm dumb? If so, because I suggested this trade idea or is it for another reason?

I thought it was a VERY interesting trade, and I'd think even if you're not a DMC guy (I definitely am) you'd still have to give it some thought.

EDIT: after a little thought, I'm thinking it'd probably have to be Calderon instead of Lowry and would cost us Jason Collins to match salaries.  To be clear, I'd much prefer Lowry in the trade but I think the Raps dig their feet in (even if Calderon's currently starting)  perhaps along with a first round pick
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:45:10 PM by StartOrien »

Re: 3 Way Deal Bos/Tor/Sac (Simmons Idea)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You sure this isn't IP's trade idea, after all we all know how much Kyle Lowry love he has.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd do it.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Certainly one of the most balanced ideas I've seen.

And one I'd take a hard look at.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
You sure this isn't IP's trade idea, after all we all know how much Kyle Lowry love he has.

Ha. Here's the original Simmons idea, which I thought was too favorable for the Celtics and definitely not enough from the Raptors:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bl5ydks

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't like it for us. So we add another combo guard (Lowry is a scorer in a PG's body) and another undersized PF, but give up the best player in the deal, a prospect (Melo), and a player (Lee) that I like more than Lowry.  To add Cousins?

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wouldn't give up one of the top 3 PGs in the league and easily the best passing PG in the league for a headache head case like Cousins and a mediocre PG at best in Lowry. If I'm giving up Rondo and have to settle for Lowry at PG, I want something od a sure thing coming along with him, not Cousins who might be the biggest question mark in the league.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Simmons stole the premise of my idea.  I had the c's sending out more salary and landing Bargnani,  cousins,  and lowry. I would love to get Evans too, but that maybe asking too much.  I didn't post it because of all the don't trade Rondo posts it probably would have drawn

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »

Online jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't like it for us. So we add another combo guard (Lowry is a scorer in a PG's body) and another undersized PF, but give up the best player in the deal, a prospect (Melo), and a player (Lee) that I like more than Lowry.  To add Cousins?

I agree, it essentially becomes Rondo for Cousins, which I'm not even close to doing. I get that Lowry is better than Lee, but I think I would rather keep Melo than acquire Hayes. If people are hesitant about tradng Avery for Cousins, inserting Rondo, instead, should infuriate people.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I agree, it essentially becomes Rondo for Cousins, which I'm not even close to doing. I get that Lowry is better than Lee, but I think I would rather keep Melo than acquire Hayes. If people are hesitant about tradng Avery for Cousins, inserting Rondo, instead, should infuriate people.

To me, when all the dust is settled the heart of the trade is Rondo for Cousins and a respectable starting Point Guard.

I like Courtney Lee as well, but I don't see where he's going to get playoff minutes if this team is healthy.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Bad for Toronto....and I disagree with bulk of Lowry's assessment in prior posts...he is underrated as is Derozen

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
I don't think Boston wants to give up Rondo for Cousins.  I'm not crazy about Lowry; inefficient and has a hard time staying on the court. 

Toronto is giving up two solid assets for a solid asset and two decent roleplayers.  Seems to me that they need to be adding assets with any moves they make, not subtracting them. 

Sacramento considers this, and is probably the most likely to accept.  This core doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  But I'm still not convinced that they move Cousins.  Whether they accept hinges on whether they think a contender can be built with Rondo as the alpha dog.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Bad for Toronto....and I disagree with bulk of Lowry's assessment in prior posts...he is underrated as is Derozen

Toronto is the one I had a hard time with. But I'm not crazy about Derozan as a player, and I think he becomes expendable with Terrence Ross emerging. Evans brings a different skill set and can defend three positions.

Plus, I think Isiah Thomas is an underrated chip. I love that kid

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 06:26:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would prefer Tyreke Evans to Kyle Lowry. Tyreke has more star talent.

Any trade that sees Rondo go out for Cousins is going to be one for the future rather than a win now move so the guard with more potential is the more valuable asset than the superior win-now player in K.Lowry.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:46:03 PM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Any trade that involves our big three is dumb, period.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell