Author Topic: 4 Team Idea BOS/LAL/SAC/TOR  (Read 1604 times)

4 Team Idea BOS/LAL/SAC/TOR
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b4uuo79

Drastic trade but trying to find a framework that is realistic and reasonably fair, yet Hollinger's projected wins clearly favor the Celtics (definitely don't agree with them though).

BOS sends Rondo, Sullinger
BOS receives Cousins, Lowry, Blake

Lowry is underrated. Blake provides another pure point guard as insurance for Lowry's health. Clearly we downgrade by trading Rondo but he continues to be an enigma, and like Rondo, Lowry is a bargain for his contract. Hate giving up Sullinger at this point, but given his athletic limitations and the fact that you have to give up something to get something, Cousins would be worth the upgrade in the front court. Trading Rondo would open more time for guys like Terry, Bradley, Lee, and even Barbosa. Terry would be allowed to handle the ball to create his shot a lot more. I think that the offense is sometimes stagnant because Rondo dominates the ball so much, and I just have a feeling this trade might lead to better ball movement/sharing, similar to what we saw tonight vs. the Knicks.

LAL sends Gasol, Jamison, Blake
LAL receives Bargnani, Evans

Let's face it, Howard and Gasol cannot co-exist. Acquiring Bargnani would be the perfect floor spacer to put next to Howard at the 4. Tyreke provides the athleticism the Lakers sorely need and can guard the 1-3. This is a steal of a deal for the Lakers, yet Hollinger's predictions on trade machine say -3?

SAC sends Cousins, Evans, Thomas
SAC receives Rondo, Ed Davis, Jamison

SAC gets an all-world PG to build around in Rondo. They get a supremely athletic, young 6'11" guy in Davis to replace Cousins. And they also get a veteran (who used to be a leader, solid locker room presence) in Jamison that they need.

TOR sends Bargnani, Lowry, Ed Davis
TOR receives Gasol, Sullinger, Thomas

TOR has been trying to figure out what to do with Bargnani for years and finally can get a more talented, true post presence in return with Gasol. Also with Toronto being an "international" city and friend/Spanish teammate Jose Calderon running the show in Toronto, Pau's game could once again flourish. TOR would get Isiah Thomas to replace Lowry to form a nice PG duo with Calderon. They would also add Sullinger, who is limited long-term but a player who has already earned much respect, to replace the more athletic Ed Davis.

I know this trade looks crazy to some of you on paper because of the amount we're giving up in Rondo + Sullinger, but I think it's actually realistic as we are always over-valuing our own players.

Thoughts?

Re: 4 Team Idea BOS/LAL/SAC/TOR
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:54:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Tyreke cannot co-exist with a player like Kobe Bryant (too ball-dominant)
Tyreke cannot co-exist with a player like Steve Nash (too ball-dominant)

Tyreke cannot co-exist with Kobe Bryant AND Steve Nash AND Dwight Howard. Very bad fit.

Tyreke needs to somewhere where he can have a very large role offensively as the main perimeter creator offensively. That won't happen in LA.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:01:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think the return for Toronto is fine if they are willing to trade Lowry + Bargnani for Pau Gasol. Many here disagreed with that on another thread but I believe that is acceptable if Toronto were indeed willing to trade Calderon + Bargnani for Pau Gasol as rumoured (which I don't fully believe).

I think the return for Sacramento is okay if they are willing to trade Tyreke + Cousins for Rondo which makes some sense for them.

I don't think the return is good enough for LA. I think they are better off trading directly with Toronto to get Kyle Lowry instead of taking back Tyreke Evans. Tyreke is a very bad fit in LA. Lowry can fit in there + take over from Nash in a year or two. Much more valuable piece. I think the deal breaks down here.

For Boston, I think Cousins + Lowry is a solid return on Rondo. I wouldn't do the deal but I think it's a reasonable / competitive offer for Rondo.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:13:36 AM by Who »

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:09:16 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I hear you.

How about flopping Derozen to LA in Tyreke's place with Tyreke going to Toronto then...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bxomhpg

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:24:10 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I hear you.

How about flopping Derozen to LA in Tyreke's place with Tyreke going to Toronto then...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bxomhpg

I think DeRozan works better for LA than Tyreke but is still a dodgy fit himself. Mainly due to his lack of three point shooting range. He is at his best coming off screens for catch and shoot opportunities which aren't a big part of LA's offense. The ones that are there go to Kobe. DeRozan, like Kobe, plays best at SG and sees a decline in performance at SF. Doesn't make much of an impact as a defender/rebounder. So DeRozan would be a marginal contributor in LA.

Tyreke Evans would also struggle with Jose Calderon. Even Calderon needs too much of the ball for Tyreke. Tyreke would be better with a scorer/passer like K.Lowry than a playmaking PG like Calderon. Easier for Tyreke to get the right type of touches.

It may not a deal breaker though if Toronto were willing to move Calderon in a separate deal. Or if Colangelo just doesn't see the conflict skill-set wise. Also a possibility.

Maybe. It wouldn't be that beneficial for either team but it may be sell-able negotiation wise.