Author Topic: Ray Lewis - Announces Retirement  (Read 17068 times)

Re: Ray Lewis - Announces Retirement
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Ravens should be eating, sleeping and breathing the Colts right now, not answering questions and dealing with the added pressure of a Ray Lewis retirement.

I see your point.  At the same time, if Tom Brady (or whoever your favorite player is) was going to make one last run, wouldn't you as a fan want to know it?

These guys are professionals.  They should be able to deal with questions from the media.  Heck, maybe Ray putting some of the attention onto him takes some pressure off the other guys?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Ravens should be eating, sleeping and breathing the Colts right now, not answering questions and dealing with the added pressure of a Ray Lewis retirement.

The thing that would really infuriate me as a Ravens fan is the knowledge that somewhere one of those selfish players probably got drunk on New Years eve when they could've been watching film.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I still don't get this. What added pressure? he's playing this Sunday! it's not like he's inactive and went "win this one for me fellas!"

he said what everyone kinda assumed, that he only has enough for one more run and he's gonna make it with them. not sure how that "distracts" them from wanting to win this week/ preparing extensively. if anything it adds to their motivation to prepare and play extremely well behind their 17 year captain. 

If any of them are somehow peeing in a puddle because now they only have this year with Ray Lewis, then they aren't mentally tough enough to win anything anyway.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

I see your point.  At the same time, if Tom Brady (or whoever your favorite player is) was going to make one last run, wouldn't you as a fan want to know it?

These guys are professionals.  They should be able to deal with questions from the media.  Heck, maybe Ray putting some of the attention onto him takes some pressure off the other guys?

I would want to know if the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, who happened to be on my team, was retiring. But I wouldn't have that expectation. I don’t see how Ray putting this out there helps lessen the pressure in anyway.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I would want to know if the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, who happened to be on my team, was retiring. But I wouldn't have that expectation. I don’t see how Ray putting this out there helps lessen the pressure in anyway.

I don't think it increases pressure, and even if it did, and it makes them desperate to win this year because they feel like they have no "next year" with Lewis,Who's to say that doesn't light a fire under them?

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

I still don't get this. What added pressure? he's playing this Sunday! it's not like he's inactive and went "win this one for me fellas!"

he said what everyone kinda assumed, that he only has enough for one more run and he's gonna make it with them. not sure how that "distracts" them from wanting to win this week/ preparing extensively. if anything it adds to their motivation to prepare and play extremely well behind their 17 year captain. 

If any of them are somehow peeing in a puddle because now they only have this year with Ray Lewis, then they aren't mentally tough enough to win anything anyway.

If you don't think this shifts the focus, even slightly, away from the game at hand, you're living in a dream land. And I’m not super upset about this. It’s not keeping me up at night. I just view it as somewhat of a “me over team” move.

Announce this when the season is over.

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't think it increases pressure, and even if it did, and it makes them desperate to win this year because they feel like they have no "next year" with Lewis,Who's to say that doesn't light a fire under them?

Ray Lewis, on-field leader of the team for over a decade, retiring might be kind of an emotional motivator. Kind of like a guy using the recent death of a teammate to emotionally motivate his squad. Maybe a coach heroically kicking cancer in the balls might make a team play a little harder?

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Ray Lewis, on-field leader of the team for over a decade, retiring might be kind of an emotional motivator. Kind of like a guy using the recent death of a teammate to emotionally motivate his squad. Maybe a coach heroically kicking cancer in the balls might make a team play a little harder?

Great, so when the Colts crush the Ravens this Sunday I'll be able to leap to the conclusion that it was because Lewis distracted the team? And if they win, the opposite will be true, right?

Snapshot analysis based on a game or two does not prove anything. My feelings toward the timing will not change either way.

Linebacker Ray Lewis said he is retiring after the Baltimore Ravens' season ends.

He has indicated he will play play Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts in the wild-card round after missing two months with a triceps injury.

Is his revelation going to spark Baltimore to a big showing against Indianapolis at M&T Bank Stadium on Sunday? Or will his last game serve as a distraction for the Ravens.

It’s hard to know, and he’s entitled to share the news with his team as he did today as opposed to trying to keep it a secret. Most presumed it was going to be the case anyway.

But I do think it can sap a little bit of energy from the Ravens during the week and actually be a bit of an advantage to the upset-minded Colts.

"There will be a ton of energy,” Cots coach Chuck Pagano, who worked as part of the Ravens defensive staff before the Colts hired him. “ ... He’s their leader."

"It will be fun to one day say I got to play against Ray Lewis," Andrew Luck said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/69642/will-ray-lewis-news-impact-colts

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/tag/_/name/ray-lewis-to-retire

Calls Lewis the greatest defensive player ever.  Now granted he might be a bit biased since he is the AFC North reporter for ESPN.

Some of the piece
When it came to the running game, Lewis was fast enough to chase down running backs and physical enough to make them pay when he did. In Lewis' first 16 seasons, Baltimore never allowed more than 3.9 yards per carry.

When it came to the passing game, he was explosive enough to rush the passer and athletic enough to cover running backs and tight ends. He's the only player in NFL history to amass 40 sacks and 30 interceptions.

Lewis isn't simply the best defensive player because of his play. What made Lewis special was how he elevated those around him and consistently made the Ravens the most feared defense. Since 1999, in the 11 seasons in which Lewis has played at least 12 games, the Ravens' defense ranked in the top 10 every year, including eight times in the top three. Teams have signed Lewis' teammates to big contracts (Duane Starks, Ed Hartwell, Sam Adams, Bart Scott) in trying to build their defenses, but few have ever played as they did beside him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

If you don't think this shifts the focus, even slightly, away from the game at hand, you're living in a dream land. And I’m not super upset about this. It’s not keeping me up at night. I just view it as somewhat of a “me over team” move.

Announce this when the season is over.

how am i living in a dreamland? lets look at this logically.

a) I am a professional football player, i am about to play in a playoff game. lets assume im a dedicated professional, and am preparing as such.

b) my team captain, who is 37 years old, announces to me this is his last year in the league.

c) my focus is now "I really want to win the Superbowl for Ray!" one assumes.

so, how exactly am I living in dreamland by saying it might even help their preparation again?

Why would it DISTRACT from their focus to win playoff games? Am I suddenly concerned for Ray's life outside football? what exactly is distracting me from wanting to go out and rip the colts heads off to send him out on top?

The media? what do I care if they ask me how I feel about ray retiring "well, I really want to win now."

Football is an emotional game. you really think, for example, that indy THIS YEAR was going to be 11-5 if they didn't have something to rally the team behind?

I mean, im not trying to be factitious, but explain to me how your team's emotional leader saying "this is my last year" makes me LESS likely to want to murder anyone in a colts uniform on Sunday. Just labeling something "a distraction" doesn't make it one.

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Great, so when the Colts crush the Ravens this Sunday I'll be able to leap to the conclusion that it was because Lewis distracted the team? And if they win, the opposite will be true, right?

Snapshot analysis based on a game or two does not prove anything. My feelings toward the timing will not change either way.

You're not going to change your mind? You're sure? Even with the stakes so high, and so much empirical evidence supporting the argument? There's just nothing that anyone can do?

This is literally a worst-case scenario for me. ;)

In all seriousness, its a non-story about the 'emotional impact'. The better team will win, guys will get up for the playoffs, and they'll use whatever motivation they can get their hands on. Ray Lewis is walking away after the playoffs, so guys will say, "We gotta win this one for Ray". Coaches will say, "Don't let the future distract you from today", lots of footage will go to Pagano's cancer recovery and how it galvanized a team that looked like it was an afterthought, lots of footage will go to Ray Lewis's career.

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
LOL, IP. Yeah, pretty much.

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130103/ray-lewis-espn/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

multi-year contract for Lewis with ESPN.

Lewis can take over the "Jacked Up" segment, and maybe stab Stuart Scott with a knife if we're lucky. 

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SF837TIOh0

I live in Aus and even i know who ray lewis is. Sad day seeing that man retire. Nothing greater than witnessing player like him and KG who live and breath the game and show that much physical and mental passion. They bleed their lifestyle and wear their hearts on their sleeves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ysMOV8TYU

I used to watch this before every one of my football games last year. Gets you jacked up