Author Topic: Ray Lewis - Announces Retirement  (Read 17075 times)

Re: Ray Lewis - Announces Retirement
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ray Lewis was a heck of a football player.  I wouldn't call him the best defensive player ever, or the best linebacker, but he was a dominant defender.

I don't think I'd like the guy much as a person, but on the field, he was amazing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Best Linebacker I've ever seen. What a career that man had.

I'm guessing you never saw LT (THE REAL LT)

Yeah, I'm new to football.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122

yall some crybabies sometimes man, get ova da murder charge Ray has actually became more religious since then nd has done a lot for da city of Baltimore nd da community he's not a "murdering thug"

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

LT was a outside linebacker/ DE hybred. Him and Ray don't really compare since they play such diverse positions.

If you want to be specific, Ray is the best Middle Linebacker of all time, with lambert and singletary in the discussion.

If you want to open it up to "all linebackers" then LT is definitely on there...but he had a limited skill set when compared to a MLB's responsibility. He was absolutely AMAZING as a pass rusher, but he didn't cover or stop the ball.

LT wanted to sack the QB, ray wanted the ball anywhere it went on the field.

Thats why I always separate MLB and OLB, the position is really quite different, it makes no sense to just lump them all together.

Anyway, sad day, the end of an Era. he was by far the best middle linebacker and team leader I ever saw (to young to really comment on lambert or singletary).

to those saying "good" I don't think it really is, Tom was killing him in coverage the last 3 years, since he was a shell of his former self in pass coverage. He was still dynamite against the run, but the pats don't really care about that ha.

What?

LT changed the LB position. 

One of two defensive players to win the NFL MVP.

He was a lot more then just a pass rusher.

He pushed Joe Gibbs to create the two TE set.  (and create the position of H-Back.

Anyways, it was probably time for Lewis to retire.  For a decade, he was the best LBer in the game.

He changed the OLB position, as I said.

but he was not known as a good cover guy, at all. he was an absolute beast at disrupting the pass game, but he had limited cover skills. He had 9 interceptions his entire career. Lewis has 31.

But, coverage is not a skill highly valued in OLB, which it is in MLB. it's nice for a OLB to have that skill, but if your using them to set the edge/ rush, they get limited coverage responsibility.

look, no one, especially not me, is saying that Lawrence taylor is not the best OLB of all time. What i'm saying is that the OLB position, contrary to popular belief, is as different from the MLB position as RB is from WR.

Which is simply a way to preface what I said, that it's folly to toss every person who played linebacker into a pool and rank them as "linebackers"

Lawrence taylor is the best OLB to ever play. IMO ray lewis is the best MLB to ever play.

but if you want me to rank them as "who is the best linebacker of all time?" then that's much more difficult, because the positions are vastly different. They'd both be top 5, but i tend to value a MLB who can do everything well and run my defense over a pass rusher who sets the edge as well.

so I guess if you put a gun to my head, I'd put lewis above LT just because they are all time talents, but Lewis plays a position i think is higher on the "value" depth chart on defense. Like, if we were drafting an all time defense, and both guys are magically available as a rookie, I'm taking Lewis first, but if i had the #2 pick it's gonna be LT. Third being prime time.  ;) 

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Ray Lewis was a heck of a football player.  I wouldn't call him the best defensive player ever, or the best linebacker, but he was a dominant defender.

I don't think I'd like the guy much as a person, but on the field, he was amazing.

Who's a better middle/inside line backer?

the only one (and again i didn't see him live) who I think I would put close to him is singletary.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
All-Time Football Draft sounds fun. Have we done that?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

yall some crybabies sometimes man, get ova da murder charge Ray has actually became more religious since then nd has done a lot for da city of Baltimore nd da community he's not a "murdering thug"
wow....

da dude dis da mudererda

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Many criminals become "more religious."  That doesn't make them any better of a person.  They're still criminals.

And, no matter what you do for the rest of your life, you can never make up for murdering someone and taking that person away from their loved ones.

The victims in his case may not have been good men either, but it still doesn't remove Lewis' guilt.  If he didn't commit the murder himself, he certainly helped cover it up.

And, then he used his fame and money to buy his way out of punishment.

I don't buy that his commitment to religion and the community wasn't simply a marketing ploy to get him back in the good graces of the league and fans.  It obviously worked, as he is a top paid player and a sponsor for numerous products, but that doesn't change who he is inside.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

LT was a outside linebacker/ DE hybred. Him and Ray don't really compare since they play such diverse positions.

If you want to be specific, Ray is the best Middle Linebacker of all time, with lambert and singletary in the discussion.

If you want to open it up to "all linebackers" then LT is definitely on there...but he had a limited skill set when compared to a MLB's responsibility. He was absolutely AMAZING as a pass rusher, but he didn't cover or stop the ball.

Thats why I always separate MLB and OLB, the position is really quite different, it makes no sense to just lump them all together.

Anyway, sad day, the end of an Era. he was by far the best middle linebacker and team leader I ever saw (to young to really comment on lambert or singletary).

to those saying "good" I don't think it really is, Tom was killing him in coverage the last 3 years, since he was a shell of his former self in pass coverage. He was still dynamite against the run, but the pats don't really care about that ha.

What?

He pushed Joe Gibbs to create the two TE set.  (and create the position of H-Back.

Anyways, it was probably time for Lewis to retire.  For a decade, he was the best LBer in the game.

but he was not known as a good cover guy, at all. he was an absolute beast at disrupting the pass game, but he had limited cover skills. He had 9 interceptions his entire career. Lewis has 31.

But, coverage is not a skill highly valued in OLB, which it is in MLB. it's nice for a OLB to have that skill, but if your using them to set the edge/ rush, they get limited coverage responsibility.

look, no one, especially not me, is saying that Lawrence taylor is not the best OLB of all time. What i'm saying is that the OLB position, contrary to popular belief, is as different from the MLB position as RB is from WR.

Which is simply a way to preface what I said, that it's folly to toss every person who played linebacker into a pool and rank them as "linebackers"

Lawrence taylor is the best OLB to ever play. IMO ray lewis is the best MLB to ever play.

but if you want me to rank them as "who is the best linebacker of all time?" then that's much more difficult, because the positions are vastly different. They'd both be top 5, but i tend to value a MLB who can do everything well and run my defense over a pass rusher who sets the edge as well.

so I guess if you put a gun to my head, I'd put lewis above LT just because they are all time talents, but Lewis plays a position i think is higher on the "value" depth chart on defense. Like, if we were drafting an all time defense, and both guys are magically available as a rookie, I'm taking Lewis first, but if i had the #2 pick it's gonna be LT. Third being prime time.  ;)

I am taking the guy that changed the game and won the NFL MVP. 

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I don't think so, but that would be fun.

I'd request we DONT draft an O-line (and I was an offenselineman) just because that will be super tedious and everyone will argue thier line is amazing and invalidates any defensive players chossen ;D.

maybe we can draft a Left tackle/ marquee lineman and assume compatance at every other oline position.

I'd be up for that though, mabey post superbowl?

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Who's a better middle/inside line backer?

the only one (and again i didn't see him live) who I think I would put close to him is singletary.

It's hard to compare eras, but for middle linebackers, Dick Butkus and Jack Lambert are up there, as is Singletary. 

When you extend it to all linebackers, LT jumps to the top of the heap.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'd request we DONT draft an O-line (and I was an offenselineman) just because that will be super tedious and everyone will argue thier line is amazing and invalidates any defensive players chossen ;D.

maybe we can draft a Left tackle/ marquee lineman and assume compatance at every other oline position.

I would be up for that. 

How about we draft an O-Line from a team and year (or era)?

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

What?

I am taking the guy that changed the game and won the NFL MVP.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think LT is phenomenal, but I'd rather have the best middle linebacker of all time anchoring my defense, I can fill in dominate pass rushers. Not near LT's level of course, but I think I can find other dominate pass rushers to put around my MLB.

Of course, as I said, if I got rookie LT instead, then I would draft secondary hard to make sure he had as much time as possible to hunt down the QB, and still have an amazing defense.

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I would be up for that. 

I'm in.

I agree with the O-Line thing, we should just pick one team line.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I would be up for that. 

I like that idea alot wd, taking a unit when it comes to oline makes a ton of sense, since putting multiple good offensive linemen together does not necessarily a good oline make, you need chemistry AND talent.