Author Topic: Grizzlies (19-9) at Celtics (14-16) 1/2  (Read 57946 times)

Re: Grizzlies (19-9) at Celtics (14-16) 1/2
« Reply #450 on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:16 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
January 15th will be a glorious day. Something/anything needs to happen. I can't watch this team anymore. We are worse than the lakers, hell we are worse than the bucks.

Doc is making questionable decisions but he's working with what he's got. It's not his fault that terry/green/bass are all playing awful and the bench has no size.

I honestly think that at 14-17, 31 games into the season, that these next 10-15 games will determine the season. Judging by the next 4 opponents , the bleeding is only getting worse

I'm usually optimistic and I'm not calling for heads but this game just made me realize how deep of a hole the team is in. Idk if anyone saw but at the end, KG looked very upset.

« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Good offense in the first—followed by junk for two quarters.

Good defense in the fourth—too bad it was the only such time, and too bad it would've taken GREAT defense to dig out of that 16-point hole they faced going into the fourth.

Mike Conley, Darrell Arthur, and Marreese Speights could be All-Stars—if they played Boston every game.

Boston's Big Three combine to shoot 15 for 39 (38.5%)—but don't worry, that doesn't happen often.

:-\ Sigh.

I'm still believing in this team, but they're making it awful hard. At least the bench shot well—14 for 25 (56%).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188

Good defense in the fourth—too bad it was the only such time, and too bad it would've taken GREAT defense to dig out of that 16-point hole they faced going into the fourth.

Mike Conley, Darrell Arthur, and Marreese Speights could be All-Stars—if they played Boston every game.

Boston's Big Three combine to shoot 15 for 39 (38.5%)—but don't worry, that doesn't happen often.

I'm still believing in this team, but they're making it awful hard. At least the bench shot well—14 for 25 (56%).
right now any player can become an allstar when playing against our glorious D.

« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

right now any player can become an allstar when playing against our glorious D.

Yeah, I've noticed that pattern lately.  :-\
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
players should also be blamed for playing small ball lineups and for forsaking offensive rebounds or rebounding in general.  ::)

Sullinger is averaging 3.5 offensive rebounds per 36 minutes for us.

For the record Kevin Love is currently averaging 3.5 Offensive Rebounds per game in 36 minutes, and he is currently 11th in the league in offensive rebounds per game.

If a 20 year old, undersized, unathletic, rookie PF with only 30 games of NBA experience can collect offensive rebounds at an elite rate while playing for this team, then that is living proof that you cannot blame our lack of rebounding on Doc or on the Boston system - you can only blame it on the players and their lack of ability and/or effort.

As for the Small Ball comments Fab Melo is in the D league (and out with a concussion) and Chris Wilcox is out with an injury.  Kevin Garnett and Jason Collins are the only players we have who stand above 6'9" so what exactly would you have Doc do?

I actually saw an article recently where Doc was actually quoted admitting to the faults in his logic.  He openly admitted that after it was so successful last year he tried to force the small lineup, but he now realised it wasn't working and he needed to try something different. 

After this he moved Collins into the starting lineup and increased his minutes, which is exactly what all of the Doc haters were begging him to do.

So now that Doc has accepted his mistake and made the best change he possibly can with this roster, what more do you want him to do? The only way we can stop playing the small ball lineups is if we have enough talented size to soak up the minutes, and right now we don't.

I assure you that a trade or signing will be made in the next month or two which will change that, but for the time being there really isn't anything else he can do until that Jan 15 deadline passes.  The fact that no deal has yet happened suggests to me that either Barbosa, Lee or Bass (I believe they can't be traded until Jan 15) is going to be a part of a deal.

Personally the only coaching change I'd have liked are:

1. I'd like to have seen more of the Bradley+Collins combination.  The two seem to play extremely well together on defense and were distrupting plays when they were out there together.

2. I'd like to have seen more of Green and Lee, as I think they were both playing pretty well on both sides of the floor tonight.

« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Gasol, didn't have score,  our player wouldn't attack him and ZBo ....thats what the C's need .... a BIG who will take beat n and bang n night in and out.

« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
At this point i'd take any solid big man we could take for Bass and Lee.

It seems to me that the reasons we lose is because KG is not playing 40 minutes. Without KG on the floor, we collapse. We need a backup who can handle some of the defensive load.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Man, was I the only one who thought Doc should have done the AB/Lee lineup early? AB/Lee on D together for just a few minutes of pressuring and annoying can probably work out very well for us.

Doc also sent us to the full court press too late (we started it during the comeback). Yes, AB is just coming back but if you are going to play him then u let him do what he does best (especially if ur going to give him so few mins anyway). You start it with AB, then when Lee subs in you let him do it... it seemed to work well when we did try it, it brought the clock down on them which made them have to hurry/scramble on offense.

I think Doc needs to go back to Bass starting, give us the same lineup as last season that was so great. Sully should be the first big off the bench. I think Collins has done all he is capable of... too bad it's not much/enough.

We need a big, that has been clear since game 1... too bad Doc decided to give up on small ball before Darko got his shot. I also think if Wilcox wasn't hurt he probably would have started over Collins, but who knows.

Bass has been missing most games off the bench (he played okay tonight for the most part)... why not put him back with KG? SULLY AND BASS SHOULD NOT BE IN TOGETHER!!!! If you aren't going to start Bass, start Sully.

NO more starting Collins... it isn't working!!!!

Lee and Jet together is a good thing. Our bench was better than our starters most of the game. I hate when our bench or a player is doing well and then Doc immediately subs them out.

I also hate when a player makes 2-3 baskets in a row and then we don't go back to them again... it's happened to JET quite a bit and at times Jeff Green. Keep going to the hot player!!! No, we go to PP or RR to take dumb shots. We need to be smarter!! KG struggling on offense early and instead of letting someone else shoot we kept forcing him. Yes keep getting KG shots but after he misses 2-3 in a row it's time to stop letting him shoot a couple trips down!!! Same for PP!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
The other day I and my friend were talking about the Cs at a bar and he was like who is the  starting center if KG is playing Forward now...i just acted like i didn't know...I told him KG still starts at center..lol..I was too ashamed  to say Jason Collins...and watch him spit out his drink because how hilarious it was..he was already talking about all the issues we had..i just had to hide that fact... :'( 

« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2013, 11:08:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Man, was I the only one who thought Doc should have done the AB/Lee lineup early? AB/Lee on D together for just a few minutes of pressuring and annoying can probably work out very well for us.

Yeah, I would've liked to have seen that too. In the second quarter when the team needed a bit of a lift. Their energy and activity defensively could have sparked the team.

I think Doc needs to go back to Bass starting, give us the same lineup as last season that was so great. Sully should be the first big off the bench. I think Collins has done all he is capable of... too bad it's not much/enough.

NO more starting Collins... it isn't working!!!!

I'd like to see Sully get the nod ahead of Bass.

I feel like we already know what Bass can do there and that it is the fail-safe combination ... but we don't really know how much Sully can affect that lineup yet. I'd like to see him given first shot.

Can always go back to Bass in 10-15 games time and then play out the final 35-40 games of the season with him as the starter.

« Reply #460 on: January 02, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought it was an encouraging showing from the team tonight.

They played badly for parts but I liked the effort. I thought they looked much more like a team today than they have done in recent games. So a positive step forward for me.

I think once Rondo gets himself fully healthy from this recent injury + once Doc moves away from this Garnett / Collins starting combo = I think Boston will be in strong shape and will go on a run.

« Reply #461 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Terrible is the only word that comes to mind. The difference between the team up until this year was we knew they had the talent to turn it on, I'm not so sure they have what it takes to do that again.

No, the differene is effort.

POST SHORTENED
I definitely agree with everything in your post. So many possessions watching people just jack up shots or not even care. I definitely think many of the new guys are just going through the motions just hoping KG and Pierce carry the team to a title. This isn't Miami folks and that won't happen.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #462 on: January 02, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney

It seems to me that the reasons we lose is because KG is not playing 40 minutes. Without KG on the floor, we collapse. We need a backup who can handle some of the defensive load.
+1 on bass with terry rather than lee. i like lee's hustle on defense. i really like to see him more with AB on the backcourt. but i doubt if bass will be dealt watching how huge doc's man crush on him.

« Reply #463 on: January 02, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

+1 on bass with terry rather than lee. i like lee's hustle on defense. i really like to see him more with AB on the backcourt. but i doubt if bass will be dealt watching how huge doc's man crush on him.

I dont think Jet has much value which is why I had to say Lee.

And I have a feelung that Jet will pick it up. He may be struggling, but that man has the heart and nads that not everyone in te team has, we might need that come playoff time.

He needs to do a better job defensively tough, really.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #464 on: January 02, 2013, 11:35:46 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
i think he jinx us with that tattoo. ;D