Author Topic: Plausible impactful players who could turn season around  (Read 8316 times)

Re: Plausible impactful players who could turn season around
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 12:53:17 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Any trade that involves Green-get er done!

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would love to see Green/Bass packaged for one player that would make a better impact.

One thought would be if the Jazz were going to keep one of Millsap/Jefferson, go after Millsap.

Green and Bass are about the same size and age as Millsap just not as good obviously.  Could Utash get Bass and Green in, who are under contract, and still sign an extension with Jefferson?

It would take getting in Raja Bell to make the contracts work.  I don't see why the Jazz would do it except they are going to lose either Millsap or Jefferson for nothing.  Maybe getting a couple of warm bodies under contract along with a draft pick would be enough?

With Melo and Sullinger progressing, I don't see Jefferson as being a huge need.  If you are going to trade away acouple of 6-8 250-lb types, it would be smart to get at least one guy in to replace them.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Sign Dajuan Summers from Maine to replace Green once he is traded.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/sports/talent-rolls-through-claws_2013-01-01.html

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Put me down for an okafor Trade. The guy has been playing really well in the past 7-8 games. he would be a safer option then nene as he makes the same amount of money but has 2 less years on his deal and is probably better defensivly. He isnt the type of player that needs to be fed the ball to score and scraps for boards. Plus i think he would relish the fact he is getting out of washington. A trade of Bass Lee + other + pick would work for me i feel just have to make up the numbers money wise.

Sure washington already have crawford and beal at the 2 but atm with no start in sight crawford will be running th point. Other than those 2 I believe Lee to be an upgrade over any of the other people they can put in the line up and he could even play some 3 if needed. Bass would be a solid starter/rotation player for them to then slot nene in at the C position.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's funny that people are saying they would take either Okafor or Nene - whatever. There is a pretty marked difference between the two in terms of value. With Okafor, you would just need to come up with enough money in contracts to make it work, probably involving another team or two to take on Bass/Lee, whoever. With Nene, he is a year away from being an enormous asset and Washington would demand value in return - picks, Avery, etc. I get that they are horrible, but Wall and Nene are their only two keepers as it stands right now.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Someone who really knows Okafur's game (I've seen him once or twice a year) please tell me why he wouldn't be a great addition to this team.  He has a career double-double and is only 30. Is the hesitation his contract? Injury worries? Something else?   Offensively he isn't much but he blows Perk away.

If it's about the contract -- I don't think there is much to lose.  2 years --  next year will be a nice expiring 14M. Seems like he's injured a lot, but check his games per season -- other than 05-06 and 11-12 he's been durable.

I feel like Okafur provides the exact role we need. Gortat too, but Okafur seems tougher and is focused on what we'd need him to focused on.  He is a good rebounder and a tough defender in the middle. And the guy has been a 12ppg career scorer (8 ppg in 23mpg this year).
Smart guy, smart player -- at least what I've seen.  I can see him playing great next to KG.

Why wouldn't he be a great fit here?

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Someone who really knows Okafur's game (I've seen him once or twice a year) please tell me why he wouldn't be a great addition to this team.  He has a career double-double and is only 30. Is the hesitation his contract? Injury worries? Something else?   Offensively he isn't much but he blows Perk away.

If it's about the contract -- I don't think there is much to lose.  2 years --  next year will be a nice expiring 14M. Seems like he's injured a lot, but check his games per season -- other than 05-06 and 11-12 he's been durable.

I feel like Okafur provides the exact role we need. Gortat too, but Okafur seems tougher and is focused on what we'd need him to focused on.  He is a good rebounder and a tough defender in the middle. And the guy has been a 12ppg career scorer (8 ppg in 23mpg this year).
Smart guy, smart player -- at least what I've seen.  I can see him playing great next to KG.

Why wouldn't he be a great fit here?

Depending on the price, I'd like Okafor a lot.  He's more realistic than Cousins and cheaper than Gortat.  Historically, he rebounds at a high rate and is a good defensive player who will protect the rim.  Doesn't score a ton, but we won't need him for that. 

Gives us exactly what we need, in my opinion.

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Would Detroit swap Prince for Green straight up? What if we added a second rounder?

Is a great idea to get rid of Green before second surgery. But we are looking for a big man. Nene is fine

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I like Tayshaun Prince in a straight swap for Jeff Green.

I would love Okafor or Nene from Washington. There is a good chance that one of those guys, probably Okafor, could be available at a cheap price. Good opportunity for Boston to upgrade their team.

Indeed, see our dialogue on the subject here.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=61189.0

If the Cs are going all in to 'win now' I'd take Prince for Green, but if they start to go the other direction I'd keep Green over Prince. Once they trade The Truth, or cut ties with him this summer, Green will play a ton more minutes.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
... Tayshaun Prince still plays in the NBA?

I haven't seen him play in years (and he's like 50,000 years old, right?), so I could be wrong, but I can't imagine he'd be an upgrade over JG.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
We need a hero. Hero Turkoglu or Stephen "SJax" "Trill" Jackson
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd be very happy with Okafor.  I'd rather Cousins as my first choice, but Okafor would probably be my second or third choice.

We need a hero. Hero Turkoglu or Stephen "SJax" "Trill" Jackson

God no.

Hedo is god-aweful, and Steven Jackson is old AND a head case AND a guy that the Spurs would never trade.

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Washington basically did New Orleans a favor by taking on Okafor and Ariza, but they dumped Rashard Lewis and the 23 mill he was owed this year. Let me say this again, to acquire Okafor and Ariza, Washington only traded Rashard Lewis and a 2nd round pick.

Washington isn't going anywhere this year. They would love nothing more than for somebody to take Okafor off of their books. Unfortunately we don't have any expirings, but another team maybe happy to take Bass/Lee for a random expiring.

Again, Nene would be a lot tougher to get, but is certainly a better player.

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Okafor has almost no value because of his contract and his decline (whether it's a decline in skill or a decline because of the team he's on is a matter of debate).

The question is what Celtics on multi-year deals the Wiz value.  Green and Terry or Green and Lee work money wise.  I'd do Green and Terry in a nanosecond, just to get out from under their contracts. 

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
To me it really is Gortat.

Because, although it will take maybe a lot he can be had. And he will help us in so many ways on shot blocking, rebounding, and inside presence.

I'd seriously give this year's farm for him. We are at the point that we need to swing hard and either strike out or hit a home run. The window is an inch open, if not less, Gortat might nudge that open a bit. But we have to give up some of the future if we want to home run now.

Draft picks, Sully, Melo, anyone outside the core (KG, Rondo, Pierce, to some extent Green). If PHX asked for those, get it done.

Let's forget about the future for a while, as bad as it is. We need to win now, and Gortat will help us BIG TIME.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace