Author Topic: Divide In The Locker Room  (Read 11480 times)

Divide In The Locker Room
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
There was a great piece written by Gary Washburn in the Globe, about how there seems to be a divide in the Celtics locker room:

http://www.boston.com/sports/2013/01/01/celtics-need-change/oH1GoguR0OiuTdNEJ39g1I/story.html

Washburn writes: "The Celtics are not on the same page. Some players continue to laugh and joke after losses, while others are furious. Some players expect the improvement will come and don’t appear worried about losses piling up, while others are very concerned."

Seems like some of the guys are just 'riding the wave of being a Celtic.' The piece doesn't mention any names, but we can come up with our own conclusions. This is somewhat troubling, and makes me wonder if a major shakeup is necessary to get this team on the same page.

I don't know who is taking the losses lightly, and joking around in the locker room, but that probably doesn't sit well with PP, KG and Rondo. Maybe it's Green, Lee,  or whoever. There have been many threads about needing change, but I think this article really hammers that point home, because if the loses keep coming, it could turn into a pretty nasty locker room. Nobody likes losing obviously, but I think it really p---es off the old guard (PP, KG, RR) when guys are all jokes afterwards.

Re: Divide In The Locker Room
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Interesting and worrisome.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
The interesting part of the article is the divide between perception of Pierce vs. KG.  Pierce is ever the optimist.  But I think KG is the HONEST one of the two.  KG wears his heart on his sleeve, and I've always felt that he was the more transparent of any Celtics player in this era.  I think Pierce just WANTS to believe it will all turn around - why? - because it has in the past.  KG doesn't think so.  I tend to agree with him - there's something he's not seeing this year that Pierce isn't speaking of: HEART.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't know who is taking the losses lightly
Jeff Green is the first name that comes to mind. Maybe Bass. Barbosa.

Those are my guesses.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Interesting thought about Pierce vs KG.

If I had to guess I'd say Rondo, KG, Pierce are p---ed.

Lee, Green, Terry, Bass are more laid back and joking.

While Sully, Wilcox, and Collins are just getting out of the way.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Players cant joke and laugh after a loss about other things in their life? please...now if theyre laughing and joking about the actual loss then its a problem

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So guys react differently to losses?  Shocker.  Guys react differently to different things.  That doesn't mean there's a "locker room divide".

Washburn is probably the least credible beat writer in recent memory.  Until there are actual reports of chemistry problems -- rather than Washburn reading the tea leaves because some guys are smiling and some guys are angry -- I think this is a non-story.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
That's why Kenyon Martin makes so much sense. While he might have his personality issues, the fact that he cares, will play hard, and will demand the same from his teammates can't be questioned.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
So guys react differently to losses?  Shocker.  Guys react differently to different things.  That doesn't mean there's a "locker room divide".

Washburn is probably the least credible beat writer in recent memory.  Until there are actual reports of chemistry problems -- rather than Washburn reading the tea leaves because some guys are smiling and some guys are angry -- I think this is a non-story.

I recognize that you're ever-the-optimist here, but what do you make of KG's comments?  He doesn't see this the way Pierce does, and if you really look at KG's comments, there's a sense of fearful-urgency in his voice.  That seems to line up with Washburn's article that you've discredited. 

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
That's why Kenyon Martin makes so much sense. While he might have his personality issues, the fact that he cares, will play hard, and will demand the same from his teammates can't be questioned.

Eh...I dont think Kenyon Martin cares more then our players or that he wouldnt be in a locker room laughing about something after a loss....I think thats exactly who he is actually.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Well said.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Eh...I dont think Kenyon Martin cares more then our players or that he wouldnt be in a locker room laughing about something after a loss....I think thats exactly who he is actually.

Why do you think that?

Kenyon has always seemed to me as someone who is greatly committed to winning. Many of the problems he has had with coaches and teammates is when he didn't think they cared enough or weren't doing their job up to par. Winning was always central to his thinking.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Why do you think that?

Kenyon has always seemed to me as someone who is greatly committed to winning. Many of the problems he has had with coaches and teammates is when he didn't think they cared enough or weren't doing their job up to par. Winning was always central to his thinking.

I think of those nuggets teams he was on with carmelo and Iverson and saw someone who fit in quite perfectly with not really caring...granted through the majority of his career you have a point although I think it's a little overstated, I don't see him caring more than the guys we have

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just read the article, reads like a load of crap, much made about nothing.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wasn't it Gary Washburn that first reported last year Ray Allen's unhappiness after losing his starting job and almost being traded for OJ Mayo?

Wasn't there absolutely no quotes from Allen, just what most people considered garbage speculation(and yes, I was one of those people) on Washburn's part?

Wasn't Washburn proven to be right after Ray Allen left for Miami and all that stuff came out from Doc, Danny and some others?

Let's not be so fast to dismiss Washburn again as the last time he did this, he was right.