Author Topic: OKC Should go after Cousins (they have the pieces to trade for him)  (Read 5994 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
OKC sends: Perk, Lamb and Toronto's pick ( likely top 10), possibly an additional 1st

Sac sends: Salmons and Cousins

OKC Roster

PG: Westbrook   / Maynor
SG: Sefelosha   / Martin
SF: Durant      / Salmons
PF: Ibaka       / Collison
 C: Cousins     / Thabeet

Cousins would give them the low post offense that could very possibly win them a championship. That's a great front line with Ibaka being the defensive presence/shot blocker, and Cousins providing low post scoring,passing and rebounding.

Re: OKC Should go after Cousins (they have the pieces to trade for him)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Why exactly would Sactown want a player in clear decline -  Perkins - and a player who's proven nothing in exchange for Cousins?

Boston can make a better offer for those two in Green, Bradley and Sullinger.

And Danny should if Sactown is intent on moving TUJS.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:42:32 AM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
Why exactly would Sactown want a player in clear decline -  Perkins - and a player who's proven nothing in exchange for Cousins?

Boston can make a better offer for those two in Green, Bradley and Sullinger.

And Danny should if Sactown is intent on moving TUJS.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=61298.0

i suggested a similar trade...i think it makes sense...salmons is 33 and is the kings oldest player and the kings highest paid player...sacto will get younger at sf...salmons always hurt us when he was with the bulls...i would like him with the c's...

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sacto won't want to be burdened with Perk's contract (even giving up Salmons b/c Salmons is just better and thus easier to move), but OKC is a pretty obvious contender that could use Cousins and has the pieces to make a real solid offer.

I think something as simple as Lamb, Jones, and the Toronto pick for Cousins makes a lot of sense for both teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
If OKC gets to add Cousins to Ibaka, Westbrook, and Durant, we might as well pack up the league, give the Thunder the title and go home, lol.

That team would be insane.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
Sacto won't want to be burdened with Perk's contract (even giving up Salmons b/c Salmons is just better and thus easier to move), but OKC is a pretty obvious contender that could use Cousins and has the pieces to make a real solid offer.

I think something as simple as Lamb, Jones, and the Toronto pick for Cousins makes a lot of sense for both teams.

i don' see that happening...jones slipped to 28 in the draft because of worries over his knee...the kings already have evans, thorton and garcia at sg all making over $6M per year...this begs the question...why bradley instead of lamb...bradley has already proven he is prob the top defender at his position in the nba...if not...extremly close

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
OKC wouldn't be able to re-sign Cousins in 18 months time. They can't afford to pay him.

Not sure how much strongly they should pursue a player who would only be a rental + isn't a win-now player due to his numerous flaws limit his impact.

I can't help but think that Raptors lottery pick could net them something more valuable long term if used in a different trade.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yeah, I think an offer like that makes a lot more sense than trying to fit Salmons and Perk into it. Neither veteran really adds anything to the trade package.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
Yeah, I think an offer like that makes a lot more sense than trying to fit Salmons and Perk into it. Neither veteran really adds anything to the trade package.

here's where salmons for green fits in...assuming sactown wants to move cousins...they have to look good to their fan base...they can't just give cousins away...even with all the problems...he was a high lotto pick...salmons and green make about the same money...green is on the hook for a few more years...but...they get 7 yrs younger at sf...sactown is trying to sell high when cousins behavior has forced them to sell low...they are trying to get value in the sell high range...that's the rub...

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
OKC wouldn't be able to re-sign Cousins in 18 months time. They can't afford to pay him.

Not sure how much strongly they should pursue a player who would only be a rental + isn't a win-now player due to his numerous flaws limit his impact.

I can't help but think that Raptors lottery pick could net them something more valuable long term if used in a different trade.
Sure they could.  Between the money on Martin and Perk it wouldn't be that hard for OKC to re-sign Cousins.  They would have to move Perk as an expiring deal of course and not re-sign Martin, but it wouldn't be that hard to keep Cousins if they wanted to.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Perkins shoots 47%, cousins shoots 40.9%

Look at the records of the teams with Centers with low shooting percentages:

Toronto?

Indiana?

The Center's shooting percentage is basically a predictor of the overall team's success. 

Cousins would make that team WORSE. Not a good idea.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Toronto?

Indiana?

The Center's shooting percentage is basically a predictor of the overall team's success. 

That's possibly the worst evaluation method ever.  Doesn't take into account that Cousins would be joining 2 of the top 10 players in the league allowing Cousins to get much easier and better looks.

Perk takes like 5 shots a game and can really only dunk if he is wide open.Cousins is a much more versatile and dominant player. He just got a triple double against the c's.

Such a ridiculous statement
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:57:50 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

Toronto?

Indiana?

That's possibly the worst evaluation tactic ever.  Doesn't take into account that Cousins would be joining 2 of the top 10 players in the league allowing Cousins to get much easier and better looks.

Perk takes like 5 shots a game and can really only dunk if he is wide open.Cousins is a much more versatile and dominant player. He just got a triple double against the c's.

Perk takes 5 shots a game because they have all of these other good players. They are the best, or second best team in the league.

A triple double does not a good player make. Sacramento is a terrible team. ...is a trade going to make Cousins stop missing shots?

If he were a "dominant player," he wouldn't miss so much. How, precisely, will the presence of better players improve Cousins' play? His shots all come - or should all come, pretty close to the rim. He is a bad shooter because he lacks real post game.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Cousins is still a better player than Perk. Perk maybe can shoot better but Cousins can run the floor, shoot FT and rebound and pass.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kendrick_perkins/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demarcus_cousins/career_stats.html

I think DMC is a headcase but he is a better player today than Perkins.   It is not even close.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Toronto?

Indiana?

That's possibly the worst evaluation tactic ever.  Doesn't take into account that Cousins would be joining 2 of the top 10 players in the league allowing Cousins to get much easier and better looks.

Perk takes 5 shots a game because they have all of these other good players. They are the best, or second best team in the league.

A triple double does not a good player make. Sacramento is a terrible team. ...is a trade going to make Cousins stop missing shots?

If he were a "dominant player," he wouldn't miss so much. How, precisely, will the presence of better players improve Cousins' play? His shots all come - or should all come, pretty close to the rim. He is a bad shooter because he lacks real post game.

First of all, I didn't say Cousins was a dominate player in the league, I said he is much more dominant and versatile than Perk.

Better teammates would help him because he wouldn't be the #1 or 2 option, so he can get much easier looks when Westbrook penetrates and Durant is being double teamed.

And perk takes 5 shots a game because he sucks on offense.

Are you seriously trying to convince people Perk is a better player than cousins? ::)