Author Topic: Window is Closed!!  (Read 6755 times)

Window is Closed!!
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Let's be honest. When we got KG and Ray we all knew we likely had a 3-4 year window where we could win a couple championships. If not for injuries we would have gotten 2 of them. We have lost one of the three Hall of Famers to free agency, KG still has all the heart he ever did but has lost his ability to play at the level he once did for many minutes, Paul is a defensive liability and is now more often than not putting up under 40% from the field. We  have a point guard who only shows up when he is on national TV or in the playoffs. His defense is WAY overrated. (see borderline backup Isaiah Thomas lighting him up the other night) We have no real center. Our role players are an old streak shooter in Terry who can't defend. Our backup PG has been rehabbing all year. Our defense is one of the worst in the NBA. We can't get a stop ever when we need it.

It is OK though! We just have to face reality and accept the fact that our future is no longer the big 3. We have a nice group of younger guys in Rondo, Avery, Sullinger, and Jeff Green. I am convinced if we pulled Paul and inserted Jeff we would not drop off at all. It might be just what he needs to show some consistency. It is time to put the past behind us and start building something for the future. It is time to put the captain on the trade block. I think we could pick up a couple young prospects for him. Who knows, maybe one of them will hit. We also should be able to pull a deal for Gortat. Send Bass and Melo and some cash and/or a pick if needed to Phoenix for him. I think this lineup is at least a .500 team:

Rondo/Lee
Bradley/Terry
Green/ Joseph
KG/Sullinger
Gortat/Collins

That's not even including a couple prospects for PP. It is time. We have no shot any longer so its time to move forward.

Re: Window is Closed!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The window is closed, and there's only a small chance that it can be reopened.

There are worse things than watching Hall of Fame players play out their twilight years, though.  I have no interest in trading Paul or KG.  We're likely to be mediocre at best for the next five years.  That being the case, I'd rather be mediocre with Celtics legends.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP for the post.

Where you been, Playa? Don't always agree with your posts, but they were/are thought provoking.

I think getting Gortat/Beasley or Cousins or Verajao with Bradley coming back keeps the window open. Just my 2 cents.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:50:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It might be. I'm not ready to say it's closed yet. I still have some hope. But, yeah, that might be the case. The window might have closed.

I want to wait awhile before deciding whether I agree with blowing it up. Sometime closer to the trade deadline. Although, given their late run last season and previous postseason successes, I am not totally opposed to giving them one last chance regardless of how bad they look 5-6 weeks from now.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Paul and Kevin, pull out the hammer and the chisel and get to work.  You guys can pry that thing open again.  I know you can.  Use a little elbow grease, dang it!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

There are worse things than watching Hall of Fame players play out their twilight years, though.  I have no interest in trading Paul or KG.  We're likely to be mediocre at best for the next five years.  That being the case, I'd rather be mediocre with Celtics legends.

Tp, I couldn't find the words, but you did.

Also I feel trading Jeff Green would be better for the future than trading Pierce. Jeff Green has what's called a regret contract. It will only find value when he's an expiring. The best thing we can do is get rid of it before teams realize it's cap poison.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33

There are worse things than watching Hall of Fame players play out their twilight years, though.  I have no interest in trading Paul or KG.   We're likely to be mediocre at best for the next five years.  That being the case, I'd rather be mediocre with Celtics legends.

I understand that KG has a no trade clause in his contract, so he won't be going anywhere.

I also agree with you about Paul. He should be given every opportuity to retire as a Celtic given that he stuck with us through bad times. It would do his career good to come off the bench though.

I feel that Rondo and Avery are our future, but as for the rest of them they're all negotiable as trade bait. Sully has grown on me but if it came to the crunch I would rather see him dealt than Avery.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

Quoted for truth. Do not trade the Captain or KG. My guess is KG will not play all three years of the contract and will likely retire at the end of next season.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I came to this thread because I agree with the title but the solutions are not obvious.

I ma not sure Pierce has much trade value, to be honest.  That's a lot of salary to match and tie up for a couple more years.  I don't think he puts anyone over the top because he needs the ball in his hands a lot of the time. Any team that close is not going to play PP a lot.

Beyond that, the organization won't trade him, IMO.  He means too much to the franchise and its marketing strategy.

The only realistic answer is to continue to watch this team embarrass itself and hope for a KG retirement after the season.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
gortat is an absolute joke.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I ma not sure Pierce has much trade value, to be honest.  That's a lot of salary to match and tie up for a couple more years.  I don't think he puts anyone over the top because he needs the ball in his hands a lot of the time. Any team that close is not going to play PP a lot.

They got a great offer from New Jersey last year at the trade deadline. Danny will be hard pressed to get offered anything like that ever again.

That was like a perfect storm. A lottery team giving up a high pick in a desperate attempt to keep hold of it's star and build a winner as quickly as possible.

I think now they'll be looking at the type of offers Phoenix was getting for Steve Nash. Hardly anything. Some cap flexibility and a low level to mediocre prospect or late first rounder.

Unless Danny was willing to trade Pierce for a similarly old player on the outs elsewhere like Pau Gasol. I think this type of trade is Danny's best chance at getting value for Pierce at this point.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I would like to see KG and Paul retire in Celtics green. I also think they wouldn't bring back much, due to their big contracts.

As crazy as this may sound, I think there is still a chance for another title, but as Roy said, the chances are small. I think the means of making this happen are quite narrow, and look something like this (everything I'm saying here has been mentioned elsewhere, but I think it's all accurate, and constitutes my best guess for a "formula for success"):

1) Acquire a legit center. This doesn't have to be an All-Star, but someone who is at least defensively competent and can block a few shots. My preference is Gortat, but even someone such as Mozgov could be enough.

2) Keep Avery Bradley at all costs. Defense wins titles, especially for this franchise, and AB is the best there is on the perimeter. Him, combined with a legit defensive C, will go a long way, I think.

3) Define roles once and for all. Make Jet part of the bench, and its primary offensive weapon, giving him freedom to freelance. Make Bass and Sully a permanent part of the bench. Give Green consistent minutes, and don't play him at the 4.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

It doesn't work that way with me and I think this is defeatist thinking. Either climb or get off the ladder. Either the Celtics are going to be competitive, or blow the thing up and let me know so I don't waste my time.

Telling me that "if we are going to lose, at least were are going to lose with our best" doesn't fly with me nor should it fly for anyone else.

If Pierce or KG isn't getting it done, then get someone here that will. It doesn't help that Danny Ainge hasn't really done much to help this team at all since he was GM. He got lucky with the KG trade and we should be thanking Kevin McHale more than Danny Ainge.

As fans, we should demand the best, not let our cheap front office swindle us and let them sell us "a bag of goods."

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
gortat is an absolute joke.

I disagree, and I'm curious why you think so. He has career averages of 8.4 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.1 blocks, and 55.2% shooting in 21.5 minutes. He improved after arriving in PHX, averaging 13 pts, 9.3 reb, 1.3 blk, and 56.3% shooting in 29.7 minutes in 2010-11, and 15.4 pts, 10 reb, 1.5 blk, and 55.5% shooting in 32 minutes in 11-12. So far this season, he's averaging 11.3 pts, 8.4 reb, 1.9 blk, and 53.4% shooting in 31.2 minutes. Given 30-35 minutes a game with Boston, I think he could give us 12 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 50%-plus shooting. That would be a huge boost for us.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would like to see KG and Paul retire in Celtics green. I also think they wouldn't bring back much, due to their big contracts.

As crazy as this may sound, I think there is still a chance for another title, but as Roy said, the chances are small. I think the means of making this happen are quite narrow, and look something like this (everything I'm saying here has been mentioned elsewhere, but I think it's all accurate, and constitutes my best guess for a "formula for success"):

1) Acquire a legit center. This doesn't have to be an All-Star, but someone who is at least defensively competent and can block a few shots. My preference is Gortat, but even someone such as Mozgov could be enough.

2) Keep Avery Bradley at all costs. Defense wins titles, especially for this franchise, and AB is the best there is on the perimeter. Him, combined with a legit defensive C, will go a long way, I think.

3) Define roles once and for all. Make Jet part of the bench, and its primary offensive weapon, giving him freedom to freelance. Make Bass and Sully a permanent part of the bench. Give Green consistent minutes, and don't play him at the 4.

I agree that if this team makes some adjustments, they still have a run left in them. But can I ask a question? What is the fascination with wanting to see Pierce or KG "retire as a Celtic."

I like both guys but they can retire with the North Dakota Bingo Players for all I care. I want to see championships hoisted in Beantown. Let's worry about the retirement ceremonies, later.

I want to retire in Honolulu, Hawaii with a bikini clad chick on each arm, doesn't mean it's going to happen nor is it something I should emotionally invest myself in.