Author Topic: Perspective: We're only one game worse than last year  (Read 11738 times)

Re: Perspective: We're only one game worse than last year
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I can't explain the Bradley factor. Undersized sg's aren't suppose to change a team like this....esp one who is in his early 20s and doesn't have much of a offensive game.

It's a trap

I've always thought the undersize shooting guard thing was and is overblown.

AB is extremely athletic and fast, huge wingspan, extremely quick and extremely quick jumper. Basically TA is a taller version but but a tad slower/worse in a lot of those other categories. What Bradley lacks in size he makes up for with everything else while what TA lacks he makes up for by being stronger taller.

IMO the only disadvantage Bradley has is with big SG who could abuse him in the post/get him in foul trouble maybe Kobe, Wade, George, Joe Johnson. Even then he seems to defend the post pretty well.

It also seems like Bradley may end up defending the better backcpurt player anyway whether shooting or point guard and let Rondo take the other guy. Unless this is cause Rondo is still hurt

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I can't explain the Bradley factor. Undersized sg's aren't suppose to change a team like this....esp one who is in his early 20s and doesn't have much of a offensive game.

It's a trap

AB is extremely athletic and fast, huge wingspan, extremely quick and extremely quick jumper. Basically TA is a taller version but but a tad slower/worse in a lot of those other categories. What Bradley lacks in size he makes up for with everything else while what TA lacks he makes up for by being stronger taller.

IMO the only disadvantage Bradley has is with big SG who could abuse him in the post/get him in foul trouble maybe Kobe, Wade, George, Joe Johnson. Even then he seems to defend the post pretty well.

It also seems like Bradley may end up defending the better backcpurt player anyway whether shooting or point guard and let Rondo take the other guy. Unless this is cause Rondo is still hurt

Well that was what I meant by undersized. There are those players that do have that advantage against him.

Either way I still don't get how his presence changes our team that much, trap.

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

It's a trap

Well that was what I meant by undersized. There are those players that do have that advantage against him.

Ainge sums it up pretty easily...

On Avery Bradley's effect on the team's defense since his return:

"You know, Avery's arrival was huge because our defense is now back to the defense that we were last year. And we were one of the top defensive teams in the league last year and this year we were 21st. And by putting Avery back in the starting lineup, all of a sudden our team is playing at the same level, if not better, than we did last year. So, I know it's only a four-game sample or a five-game sample, but it's pretty impressive with the defense that we've played against very good competition as well. So, I think that you would have to say that Avery's impact has been huge. And obviously it isn't just Avery. But because of Avery, every other person's defense has picked up. And that's sort of KG-like."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701082/ainge-on-rondo-kg-bradleys-return

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
An update on perspective...

Celtics, 5 1/2 games from the Heat for first place in the Eastern Conference.

Lakers, 5 games from Portland for the eighth place in the Western Conference.

:)
true, but Boston is still the 8th seed at the moment, which is definitely not the place to be as that all but assures a 1st round exit at the hands of the Heat.

For me the sooner we face the heat the better

I 100% endorse this statement
so you don't like watching the Celtics in the playoffs then?  Miami is a horrible matchup for Boston and Miami will have at least the 2, if not 3, best players in the series.  Boston needs to avoid Miami to have any shot of doing anything in the playoffs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

It's a trap

"You know, Avery's arrival was huge because our defense is now back to the defense that we were last year. And we were one of the top defensive teams in the league last year and this year we were 21st. And by putting Avery back in the starting lineup, all of a sudden our team is playing at the same level, if not better, than we did last year. So, I know it's only a four-game sample or a five-game sample, but it's pretty impressive with the defense that we've played against very good competition as well. So, I think that you would have to say that Avery's impact has been huge. And obviously it isn't just Avery. But because of Avery, every other person's defense has picked up. And that's sort of KG-like."

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701082/ainge-on-rondo-kg-bradleys-return

I still don't understand it though.

I'm just saying that what is happening isn't common. I mean how many 22 yr old undersized sg's have this impact on a team's defense? Just looking at his stats are confusing. Playing 20 min a game, shooting 39% and has a defensive rating of 105.

To me that doesn't scream game changer, BUT I'm not going to argue with results. Our team clearly turned a corner when he returned and is playing much better. It's a trap

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

It's a trap

First, you are wrong.  I've repeated this time and time again on these boards:  when AB joined our starting rotation last year, the team began putting up - literally - historic defensive numbers in terms of points per 100 possessions.

The Celtics played .700 ball, the best clip in the league, after the All Star break, which just happened to coincide with AB moving to the SG starting role and KG at the 5.

Second - as with Jared Sullinger, everyone keeps thinking SIZE = HEIGHT.  Look at Avery Bradley.  He is not some skinny, Allen Iverson type of combo guard.  He is all muscle.  He also has a 6'7" wingspan, which is equal to Evan Turner's, a guy who is 4 inches taller and was the tallest SG taken in Avery's draft class. 

Third - you are wrong.

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

It's a trap

First, you are wrong.  I've repeated this time and time again on these boards:  when AB joined our starting rotation last year, the team began putting up - literally - historic defensive numbers in terms of points per 100 possessions.

The Celtics played .700 ball, the best clip in the league, after the All Star break, which just happened to coincide with AB moving to the SG starting role and KG at the 5.

Second - as with Jared Sullinger, everyone keeps thinking SIZE = HEIGHT.  Look at Avery Bradley.  He is not some skinny, Allen Iverson type of combo guard.  He is all muscle.  He also has a 6'7" wingspan, which is equal to Evan Turner's, a guy who is 4 inches taller and was the tallest SG taken in Avery's draft class. 

Third - you are wrong.

I take you think I'm wrong lol. Even though I wasn't stating anything that could really be disputed. As I said before I'm not saying Bradley isn't making a difference, I'm just saying I don't know how it happens when a lot of stats/history shows undersized sg's don't have this kind of impact it's usually big men.

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

It's a trap

Third - you are wrong.
Folks are till discounting the difference Avery makes when KG/Rondo/Paul/Doc/Danny/D Wade/LeBron etc etc have all said he makes us a different team?!? Lol
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:29:28 PM by j804 »
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

It's a trap

I still don't understand it though.

I'm just saying that what is happening isn't common. I mean how many 22 yr old undersized sg's have this impact on a team's defense? Just looking at his stats are confusing. Playing 20 min a game, shooting 39% and has a defensive rating of 105.

To me that doesn't scream game changer, BUT I'm not going to argue with results. Our team clearly turned a corner when he returned and is playing much better. It's a trap

My bad man... Below was supposed to be in my original reply.

On Bradley's defense limiting the shot clock for opponents:

"I think that that's a factor. I'll tell you, the biggest factor I think is that that guy plays so hard, he exposes everybody else on the court if they're not playing defense, just by his play. How can you not see that? How can you not see this guy working so hard, fighting over every screen, defending every dribble and every pass? And if somebody else isn't doing that, they're exposed, and I think that stands out, too, and I think that elevates the play of his teammates."

As simplified as it sounds the guy just works THAT much harder then almost anyone else on the floor. His work ethic, stamina, energy, and will are almost inhuman. Much like kg.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

It's a trap

Joe Dumars?

Dumars had an offensive game to be clear, but referring to the size and defense.  And Bradley has his moments on offense and will get better going along, as he did last season.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:53:02 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

It's a trap

Joe Dumars?

Well if he is Dumars I'm taking him out of trade talks.

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

It's a trap

Joe Dumars?

If I'm the GM he's out of trade talks.

Not saying he is on that level overall, but there's precedent for an undersized SG making a huge defensive impact is my point there.

Dumars has always been my hope for what Bradley could become at the ceiling level.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:01:35 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's a trap

Joe Dumars?

Not saying he is on that level overall, but there's precedent for an undersized SG making a huge defensive impact is my point there.

Dumars has always been my hope for what Bradley could become at the ceiling level.

In terms of defense he isn't really an undersized sg, he's a fairly good sized point guard. He generally doesn't guard shooting guards.

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

It's a trap

Joe Dumars?

In terms of defense he isn't really an undersized sg, he's a fairly good sized point guard. He generally doesn't guard shooting guards.

Yeah you're right.  Though he kind of forces Rondo to then be an undersized SG but both handle it rather well I think.

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
and 1 year older. How does that work for ya? Much more was expected from this team out of the gate. 1 year older and no Allen, don't think they can run that string again. Yes Allen was out for a lot of those games but Pierce and KG knew he was coming back. His absence has put a heavy burden on 2 players considered to be near their next diaper era in the NBA.