Author Topic: Perspective: We're only one game worse than last year  (Read 11736 times)

Re: Perspective: We're only one game worse than last year
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
As memory serves me, Jermaine O’neal leaving the starting lineup occurred around the time Bradley became the starting 2 guard. This is why the C’s defense was never as bad last year as it has been this year, without Bradley playing.

Furthermore, I know what I saw last year with Bradley starting at the 2 guard: Rondo’s game benefited, the team defense improved, and Bradley was often able to get open for easy baskets (which neither Lee nor Terry do) and consistently shoot 3’s that hit nothing but net. And we didn't have Greene or Sullinger on the team. None of this is to say the current roster should not be improved upon.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:47:34 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
In my opinion the big difference is...

1) mediocre assistant coaches.  None of these guys have name recognition or stand out with certain strengths to be taught.

2) different supporting cast.  A number of new faces who don't show the same defensive tenacity.

3) KG's restricted minutes.  He's capped at 29 per game.  The stats show that with him off the floor we are a DREADFUL team at the defensive end.

4) Age.  Face it, we're a year older and as I watched those Celtics teams of the 80's/early 90's - eventually it suddenly catches up to you.

5) No inside presence.  Jason Collins??  This is like the bad punchline to a poorly told joke.  We have no length, and I've never been a fan of Bass as a "PF" - but maybe that just dates me as I remember when a PF was really a PF. 

I don't see any comparison to last year - that season is history.  I think Ray Allen was more important to this team than many wanted to admit.  Rondo is not a superstar, but a star - and he needs to step it up.  We need better rebounding, in spite of what the Doctor says (he must be a quack if he thinks we can win without being better on the backboards).  This team will only make the playoffs because the gulf between the 9th and 10th+ teams in the Eastern Conference is DREADFUL.

Sorry, I'm not optimistic.  There comes a time when all good things must end.  The window is closed.  There comes a day when you try to flip the switch, but what you really need to do is change the bulb(s)...

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
No inside presence

Rondo is not a superstar, but a star - and he needs to step it up.  We need better rebounding,

To both of these points:

We have a really big drop off on the front line in consistent performance when KG leaves the floor. Combine that with his obvious slowig down due to age and we are looking weak in the rebounding, shot blocking and interior defense departments. Sullinger is a nice young talent, just not good enough yet to offset the poor secong unit play when KG is out.

Rondo will never carry this team on his own and we shouldnt expect him too consistently. Not saying he cant be a big contributor or win a few games, just that we are maybe being unrealistic. Look at Chris Paul and Deron Williams as examples of comparable PG's. Neither has ever been able to carry their team alone or even with moderate talent supporting them. Give any off them a couple of All Star caliber teammates and they flourish. Not hating him, just pointing this out.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
No inside presence

Rondo is not a superstar, but a star - and he needs to step it up.  We need better rebounding,

To both of these points:

We have a really big drop off on the front line in consistent performance when KG leaves the floor. Combine that with his obvious slowig down due to age and we are looking weak in the rebounding, shot blocking and interior defense departments. Sullinger is a nice young talent, just not good enough yet to offset the poor secong unit play when KG is out.

Rondo will never carry this team on his own and we shouldnt expect him too consistently. Not saying he cant be a big contributor or win a few games, just that we are maybe being unrealistic. Look at Chris Paul and Deron Williams as examples of comparable PG's. Neither has ever been able to carry their team alone or even with moderate talent supporting them. Give any off them a couple of All Star caliber teammates and they flourish. Not hating him, just pointing this out.

exactly! Look at kobe when shaq left, 2 straight 1st round exits.

I was watching comcast tonight and Dan shaughnessy and Tanguay were saying, it might be time to trade Rondo because he will never be able to carry the team. They were saying to trade him for pieces for the future. It's an idiotic statment, unless you are getting a Dwight Howard back(which you wouldn;t). Between scoring and assists Rondo contributes about 40 points a game while having one of the highest fg% for guards. Wouldn't you want to build around that?

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 11:09:15 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
When MAGIC JOHNSON says you should go from being a "star" to a "superstar" - and he truly believes Rondo has the capability of doing that, you stop and take notice because of the source of that comment.  It's not like Joe Blow said this - but one of the greatest to ever play the game.  And the thing I love about Magic is there's no hyperbole with him.

If Rondo can't become that, funny, but yeah - I'd consider moving him.  I don't think he can...  He appears to have what I would call a "deferential mindset" - he's not a takeover kind of player.  He CAN - but, he won't.  I really believe he's the one player who can bring value back to this team.  And Danny knows that...

Danny's not going to be like Red - he won't die with these players.  And this is my opinion - but I truly believe there's only ONE "untouchable" on this roster: Kevin Garnett.  Even Pierce could be moved...

I think the next week or two will be telling...  Even this next game against Memphis (in which we could get KILLED on the boards) will tell us something...  I don't know, but this team is a mess right now.  Biggest bunch of pansies I've ever seen wearing a Celtics jersey in some time.

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 11:28:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
When MAGIC JOHNSON says you should go from being a "star" to a "superstar" - and he truly believes Rondo has the capability of doing that, you stop and take notice because of the source of that comment.  It's not like Joe Blow said this - but one of the greatest to ever play the game.  And the thing I love about Magic is there's no hyperbole with him.

If Rondo can't become that, funny, but yeah - I'd consider moving him.  I don't think he can...  He appears to have what I would call a "deferential mindset" - he's not a takeover kind of player.  He CAN - but, he won't.  I really believe he's the one player who can bring value back to this team.  And Danny knows that...

Danny's not going to be like Red - he won't die with these players.  And this is my opinion - but I truly believe there's only ONE "untouchable" on this roster: Kevin Garnett.  Even Pierce could be moved...

I think the next week or two will be telling...  Even this next game against Memphis (in which we could get KILLED on the boards) will tell us something...  I don't know, but this team is a mess right now.  Biggest bunch of pansies I've ever seen wearing a Celtics jersey in some time.

So tired of hearing how red messed up because he didn't move the old big 3, and how Danny should learn from it. First of all, if Bias and Lewis don't die the c's are in contention through the 90's. The 20 year drought has nothing to do with not moving the old big 3.

Secondly, Rondo is a top 20 player and on a VERY reasonable contract. If we can move Rondo for a Dwight Howard ,then yes you do it, but if you are moving him for potential or draft picks, it doesn't make much sense to me(unless it is for the first pick in the draft, and there is a Tim Duncan type 1st pick available) .

I am fine with moving Pierce or KG for future pieces if we continue to struggle, but moving Rondo for anything less than another top 20 player makes zero sense to me. Rondo makes everyone around him better and is a beast in the playoffs.

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 12:58:16 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
So what's the good news?

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 02:26:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I agree with the optimists, and not necessarily because I'm optimistic. We have more talent than last year - Bradley's entrance and the natural post-all star break for an aging team could be huge motivators.

Unless a nice offer is presented to us, I ride the ship out and rehaul over the summer. I really do not count us out of making a splash in the playoffs, as crazy as that may sound right now (but Roy and others seems to credit). We have the pieces, just need to put it all together. And if we can't, so be it - if we can deal with the let down of the Sox and Bruins, we can handle this.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 02:45:11 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I would never give up and I know that we will fix things but I want to add one thing I don't see anyone mentioning...

more teams in the East are better, so while we bounced back last season, one could argue that by more teams being good, it is going to be even harder to turn it around this season.

I care if we win, I love watching my team win... I will still enjoy watching if they don't!

Let's all just enjoy the ride!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I have no doubt Magic believes Rondo can be a superstar. I also think Rondo can be a superstar. The fact that he needs to step up is obvious because there aint no time like now.

That doesnt mean IMO that he should be expected to carry the team without help from especially Pierce and Garnett. Magic never carried the Lakers without Kareem and Worthy did he?

There are plenty of shortcomings on the Celtics roster and in player performance beyond Rondo that frankly should be addressed instead of laying blame on him.

How about perimeter defense? Rebounding? Interior defense?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I would never give up and I know that we will fix things but I want to add one thing I don't see anyone mentioning...

more teams in the East are better, so while we bounced back last season, one could argue that by more teams being good, it is going to be even harder to turn it around this season.

I care if we win, I love watching my team win... I will still enjoy watching if they don't!

Let's all just enjoy the ride!

Not sure I'd agree with that...Miami, Indiana, and Atlanta are all roughly the same while Philly, Orlando, and Chicago(without Rose) are worse. Nets and Knicks are better, which makes winning the division a lot harder, but even with their mediocre record the Celtics are only 1 loss behind Brooklyn and 6 behind NY.

The East overall is pretty weak...I mean the 11-20 Raptors are only 3.5 games out of an 8th spot in the playoffs. Lots of average/awful teams with only a handful of serious contenders (Miami and New York) imo.

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
An update on perspective...

Celtics, 5 1/2 games from the Heat for first place in the Eastern Conference.

Lakers, 5 games from Portland for the eighth place in the Western Conference.

:)

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

true, but Boston is still the 8th seed at the moment, which is definitely not the place to be as that all but assures a 1st round exit at the hands of the Heat.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

true, but Boston is still the 8th seed at the moment, which is definitely not the place to be as that all but assures a 1st round exit at the hands of the Heat.

For me the sooner we face the heat the better
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Miami is 5-5 in their last 10. NY is 4-6. These teams are coming back down to earth. As superhuman as LeBron is, you can't expect him to be like he was in the playoffs for a full 82 game season.

People are figuring the Knicks out. Defend the three, run them off the line, and make them put it on the floor. The Felton injury hurts. At 38, 39 Kidd is being asked to do too much and their older players are wearing down.

Atlanta, Indiana, Chicago, Brooklyn, and Milwaukee are all jumbled together with us.

BUT!

Only Brooklyn with the coaching change is playing consistently well. Our schedule is favorable at the moment and we are building momentum with Avery's return.

The new guys look like they are beginning to finally buy in to the Celtic way!

The east better watch out for the Celtics, b/c we are in the midst at making a run for the #1 seed. At 6 games back, with 3 games to play against both NYC and Miami, and with a half of a season to go we have a legitimate shot to make some real noise here down the stretch.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14