Author Topic: Perspective: We're only one game worse than last year  (Read 11769 times)

Perspective: We're only one game worse than last year
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This year's record after 30 games:  14-16
Last year's record after 30 games:  15-15

When we talk about "What happened?" or "When did this team fall off a cliff?", it's important to remember last year's start.  While we've had some (very) bad losses this year, we also dropped two games to the Pistons in the early going last season, too.

Last year, our big spark was Avery Bradley.  Hopefully that's the case this year, as well.

Now, I'm not predicting that we go on a run like we did last season.  However, it's also not out of the question.  Teams that look completely out of it can rapidly get it together.  Every one of us has seen that multiple times with this team, as recently as last season.  Before blowing the team up, perhaps it's worth reviewing where we were 30 games in last year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Perspective: We're only one game worse than last year
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I barely care about the score of the regular season. I enjoyed watching the game against the Kings even though we got embarrassed. I think there's a danger that people put too much on the (surgically repaired) shoulders of Avery Bradley, but honestly the team IS sort of missing exactly what he'll bring. Not only can that kid play D, but he makes everyone else around him better at it.

Anyway, what matters is the playoffs, and in the playoffs we only play one team at a time, which is a horse of a different color. If we can limp into the playoffs healthy, hopefully having put things together in the meantime, that's the ticket.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I realize that last year we pulled it out of no where, but two factors make it different in my opinion.

1. Lockout season where strange things happen.
2. Lucky/easy path to the ECF (injured hawks team, 8th seed, Bosh-less Heat.

I just don't feel like this season would be like last. And I don't want to make a midseason trade to help this team or not blow it up yet just on faith. I'd rather trade off pieces and start sucking again for a top pick.

I know a lot of posters, and I mean a lot hate the idea of the lottery again, but it's how teams like us have to build it up again.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Last year's 15-15 record was reflective of the injuries the team suffered and the shortened lockout season.

This season we have one of the healthiest teams in the league.  The only player we're missing is Bradley.  [Darko doesn't count.  He never played and I don't think he would have ever crawled out of Doc's doghouse.  It's rumored that he showed no effort in practice.]

Avery Bradley is NOT going to save this team.  We're putting a lot of pressure on a guy who hasn't even played a full season in the league, and who seems to be training himself to be a backup to Rondo, though he's going to start at SG.

The sickening, depressing realization of this season is that the team is healthy, and is losing because they show absolutely no heart and no effort.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it means that we will be one game better than last year when playoff comes...

you know what that means?

thats right back to the finals

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Last year's 15-15 record was reflective of the injuries the team suffered and the shortened lockout season.

This season we have one of the healthiest teams in the league.  The only player we're missing is Bradley.  [Darko doesn't count.  He never played and I don't think he would have ever crawled out of Doc's doghouse.  It's rumored that he showed no effort in practice.]

Avery Bradley is NOT going to save this team.  We're putting a lot of pressure on a guy who hasn't even played a full season in the league, and who seems to be training himself to be a backup to Rondo, though he's going to start at SG.

The sickening, depressing realization of this season is that the team is healthy, and is losing because they show absolutely no heart and no effort.

In hindsight, it's easy to just say "we were injured, so those losses were to be expected".  However, that's not what folks were necessarily saying at the time.  I mean, take this post, for perspective.

Things looked really bleak last year, too.  There were plenty of legit reasons to be discouraged, but the team turned it around.  While there aren't a ton of reasons for optimism this year, it's still important to remember that we've seen this team look terrible and pull it all together.  There's no reason to give up on the season yet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

When we talk about "What happened?" or "When did this team fall off a cliff?", it's important to remember last year's start.  While we've had some (very) bad losses this year, we also dropped two games to the Pistons in the early going last season, too.

Last year, our big spark was Avery Bradley.  Hopefully that's the case this year, as well.

Now, I'm not predicting that we go on a run like we did last season.  However, it's also not out of the question.  Teams that look completely out of it can rapidly get it together.  Every one of us has seen that multiple times with this team, as recently as last season.  Before blowing the team up, perhaps it's worth reviewing where we were 30 games in last year.

it is not so much the record right now but how we play. and the play will affect the record in the long run.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

it is not so much the record right now but how we play. and the play will affect the record in the long run.

I hear you.  The last three games were borderline disgraceful.

At the same time, 30 games in last year we were in the midst of a 5-game losing streak, and we'd lost games to the Hornets, Suns, Cavs, Raptors, and Pistons (twice).

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This.  W-L records are meaningless.  The eye test tells you this team will not win this year, and AB returning is not going to make huge difference like many people wish.  1st round exit.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Hope you are right, but think you are wrong. The worst three straight losses in 35 years, plus the eye test mentioned by Surferdad tells me this will not end the way last year did.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hope you are right, but think you are wrong. The worst three straight losses in 35 years, plus the eye test mentioned by Surferdad tells me this will not end the way last year did.

Go back and read the early game threads last year, though.  The "eye test" back then said the team was doomed, as well.

Obviously, a team can't rely on a "spark" or a "switch" every year.  However, this team has showed it has the capability of doing exactly that, both in the latter half of 2010 and last year.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
roy, thanks for the thread and the possibility for hope for the new year.  :)

tp to you for being such a wonderful member of CB, and also for providing a thread with light and some positive hope at this juncture in the season.

happy new year to you and all CBers.  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
roy, thanks for the thread and the possibility for hope for the new year.  :)

tp to you for being such a wonderful member of CB, and also for providing a thread with light and some positive hope at this juncture in the season.

happy new year to you and all CBers.  :D

Thanks, man.  I've been looking for reasons for optimism, and reviewing last year's record and some of the threads from around that time brought a bit to me.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:42:49 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Glad someone beat me to this, but I actuallly just looked up last years record to compare and to make the same kind of post. I remember exactly how I felt last year while watching the games early in the season, because this year has evoked the same exact emotions.

Thats why I'm not ready to give up on this team for this year, because I didn't give up last year and look what happened. Last year the team completely turned it around, and take a look at that roster from last year that made the turn around -- there's alot more talented basketball players on this team and I believe they can come together.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You know, I'd be inclined to agree, but, last year I felt strongly we could turn it around and was dead set against blowing up the team.

This year I do not have that feeling (its the 1st time with this group I've felt this way).  It could happen (recent history is on their side), but I seriously doubt it unless a trade is made for a C or PF.

Or...the guys are just (sand - bagging) as they've been know to do.  Maybe Bradley comes back, KG gets more minutes after the break and things come together.  Eh, I don't know, seems odds are against it.