Author Topic: We Do Not Want Demarcus Cousins  (Read 9362 times)

Re: We Do Not Want Demarcus Cousins
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
if we don't have to give up our 3best players in a deal for him, yes we do...a former Kentucky head case has worked out well for us.

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I want cousins and i want him now.

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Please all Celtic Fans. Get a hold of yourselves. Take a couple of **** and chase them with a a crown & 7up and make it a double !!! I've seen panic before (by me and other Celtic lovers) but this takes the prize.

Cousins is very talented - no question. plus, he's a center, which we are in desperate need of. HOWEVER, he is a complete head-case and will be a destructive cancer wherever he plays. he is self-centered, as immature as i've seen in the NBA and has a temper fuse that makes Rasheed Wallace look like Ghandi. he is constantly at odds with his coach and the longer things go smoothly for him, it's as if he can't handle the pressure and feels compelled to blow it up.

most of all, Demarcus Cousins is not a Celtic !!!!

Hmm, he DID just record a triple-double while leading his team to a 20 point win over us.

Yeah, ill take him.

Just not for Bradley.

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Please all Celtic Fans. Get a hold of yourselves. Take a couple of **** and chase them with a a crown & 7up and make it a double !!! I've seen panic before (by me and other Celtic lovers) but this takes the prize.

Cousins is very talented - no question. plus, he's a center, which we are in desperate need of. HOWEVER, he is a complete head-case and will be a destructive cancer wherever he plays. he is self-centered, as immature as i've seen in the NBA and has a temper fuse that makes Rasheed Wallace look like Ghandi. he is constantly at odds with his coach and the longer things go smoothly for him, it's as if he can't handle the pressure and feels compelled to blow it up.

most of all, Demarcus Cousins is not a Celtic !!!!

Hmm, he DID just record a triple-double while leading his team to a 20 point win over us.

Yeah, ill take him.

Just not for Bradley.
Every big guys who play against us look good. Even a bum center will look like an all-star.

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
No way do we want this bum. They guy is a cancer and we don't need this. KG will shun the guy and he won't get "multiple" chances in their locker room like he did in SAC. We won in 2008 because we were a complete team with a common goal. This team not only doesn't even have the potential to win it all now anyway, the last thing they need to do is throw in a guy like this to destroy any possibility we have of coming together.

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:57 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
No way do we want this bum. They guy is a cancer and we don't need this. KG will shun the guy and he won't get "multiple" chances in their locker room like he did in SAC. We won in 2008 because we were a complete team with a common goal. This team not only doesn't even have the potential to win it all now anyway, the last thing they need to do is throw in a guy like this to destroy any possibility we have of coming together.

I disagree.

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I disagree.

Brilliant rebuttal. TP to you.

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Every big guys who play against us look good. Even a bum center will look like an all-star.

This is true, but not just bigs - guards, small forwards, you name it. 

Basically every time any team plays against us, there is a mediocre chump on the team has a breakout game.

But that said, Demarcus Cousins is not a bum centre.  Now 1/3 of the way through his third season, Cousins has career averages of:

* 15.9 Points
* 9.6 Rebounds
* 2.2 Assists
* 1.2 Steals
* 0.9 Blocks
* 29.5 Minutes

They are VERY good numbers given the minutes played, and the guy is only 22 years old. 

If it were in any way at all possible to get this guy in a Celtics uniform WITHOUT trading Sullinger and Bradley, we would then have three young guys under 23 years of age who can all produce right now, while having outstanding upside.

After Pierce and KG retire, we have about $25M in cap space along with a roster starting with:

PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley
SF: TBA
PF: Sullinger
C: Cousins

The front line of Cousins and Sullinger would be one of the better rebounding front lines in the NBA while both guys are also capable of scoring inside or out.

On the perimeter we have Bradley's harrassing defense along with Rondo playing the passing lanes and setting up the plays.

Using the cash saved from KG/Pierce contracts we could potentially sign a talented athletic wing (like Paul George, Rudy Gay, etc) and still have plenty of cap space to fill out a nice roster.

To be honest I'm just about ready to trade anybody bar KG and Bradley (and preferably I'd like to keep Sully too) in order to break this team up, because we are going nowhere fast.

There is no point at all in hovering just under 50% wins - that means we struggle to make the playoffs, yet we get a garbage position in the draft.

We are better off shaking things up.  If we get worse out draft picks become more valuable, if we get better we could become a genuine contender.

Right now we are nothing but mediocre.

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
fun thread.  Let's post more threads about all the players we can't trade for and pretend we don't want them.  It's like pretending you aren't interested in the girl you could never get with. Like being the pimple-faced captain of the chess club and telling your nerdy friends you wouldn't hook up with the head Cheerleader/prom queen, because she's too ugly for you.  Your nerdy pimple faced friends are gonna be like, "Yeah!  Me neither!! She's way too ugly!"

FYI.... We Do Not Want LeBron James or Kevin Durant.  This is fun.

Danny was successful in trading for KG in mid-2007, so I think it's reasonably possible that he could successfully trade for DMC in the present circumstances, especially given that there appears to be some chaos in the Kings front office at the moment.
We had more to give up back then for KG, though.  All Jefferson was widely seen as having all-star potential... and he came pretty close to reaching that potential. 

As much as we want to pretend... there is nobody on this team with allstar potential.  No, not even Bradley and SUlly.  At most they will be big time starters.  Bradley is no more likely to become an allstar than Gerald Green was.. one of the players we included with Big Al to land KG.  There's no Big Al on this team to land a star.

Also... KG was 32 years old after having come into the league at age 19... Despite being a vastly superior talent to Cousins, his age was a considerable factor.

Yes, I appreciate the points you have raised, but my original post was more along the lines of trusting in Danny's ability to successfully wheel and deal in unlikely circumstances. He has experience making big trades in the past (ie. KG & Allen in 2007) and has the minerals to make tough decisions and roll the dice, sometimes seemingly out of the blue (ie. Perkins in 2011).

Danny did out-negotiate several other serious potential suitors for KG which included Phoenix, Golden State, the Lakers and Dallas. At the time KG's preference was Phoenix plus it was not a certainty that KG would extend hhis conract with the Cs: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127

Danny is more than capable of making a trade work for DMC, although in the present circumstances a third team will likely be involved; but that doesn't mean we can't trade for him.

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Fwiw, an article from a SacBee writer on Cousins and his issues, and then a bunch of fan responses:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/23/5072798/ailene-voisin-cousins-deserves.html

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

To be brutally honest, you people all need to stop reminiscing with 2008.

In 2008:
* Miami didn't have Lebron, Wade and Bosh
* The Lakers with title favorites
* Cassel, PJ Brown and Posey were still in the league
* There were no flopping rules
* Lebron didn't get free walks whenever he touched the ball
* Dwight Howard was not in LA with Kobe, Gasol and Nash
* OKC were a lottery team
* LAC were a lottery team
* Knicks were a lottery team
* There was no amnesty clause
* We had an old bargaining agreement
* KG, Pierce and Ray Allen were all 4 years younger
* Shaq was still in the NBA
* MWP was named Ron Artest
* Ben Wallace was a borderline All-Star

The list goes on...

This is not 2008, this team is not 2008's roster and this is not 2008's league. 

In 2008 there was still a relative abundance of guys who played 'old school' tough - see Posey and PJ Brown.  Now days most players are pampered, and these guys are few and far between.

In 2008 we still had a few legit bigs out there (i.e. Shaq) who actually played like bigs.

These days the NBA is a very different game, and the things that used to work back then may not be so successful now...or they may be simply not possible.  Sometimes you need to try unorthodox approaches to get an advantage, and you certainly need to take a few risks.

Perfect example - take a look at our team right now.  Danny and Doc specifically wanted to bring aboard low risk players.  Guys who had positive attitudes and would not upset the status quo, so they signed Collins, Lee, Terry, Green, Bass, Barbosa.  Where has that gotten us?  That group of guys has been inconsistent not only with their play, but also with their effort.

Sometimes you NEED a little personality.  Sometimes guys are head cases because they show too much emotion, and sometimes that emotion is what gives them their competitive fire.  The first image that comes to mind is the shot of Nate Robinson jumping on a hypo, slobbering Big Baby.  Right now there's little I wouldn't give as a Celtic fan to see a little of that passion. 

The only guy Danny brought in who was a gamble was Darko, and now he's gone...and is probably the one guy we could really use.

Ironically past Boston teams have always had guys who are heavy with emotion.  Nate Robinson, Big Baby, Mikael Pietrus, Keeyon Dooling, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, James Posey, Shaq, Delonte, RAsheed, etc. 

Right now the four guys who show constant heart/emotion (KG, Rondo, Pierce, Sullinger) are pretty much the only guys earning their pay.

Not only will I accept a head case, but I WANT a head case. I think we NEED a head case.  Right now everyone on this team is so indifferent - were down by 20 and they all just look at each other with that blank look - nobody seems to actually CARE about games. 

I'd be thrilled to have an emotional guy or two on this team who does show a little emotion.  I want somebody like Dooling who will abuse the guys when they come out with zero effort.  Someone like Rondo who will stand up for teammates when another team tries to punk them.  Someone like Pierce who will come out at the age of 35 and explode for 40 points, single handedly willing us to victory.

I think it's good to have calm guys like Green, Terry and Bass on the team - it brings calm and stability.  But you also need to combine that wtih an equal mix of guys that thive off their emotion.  This way the emotional guys will inspire the quiet guys when they aren't playing their hardest, and the quiet guys will calm the emotional guys when they go a little too far.

Right now I wouldn't mind a Demarcus Cousins, a Latrell Sprewell, a Delonte West or a Stephon Marbury.  Hell I wouldn't mind a couple of them!

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
We had more to give up back then for KG, though.  All Jefferson was widely seen as having all-star potential... and he came pretty close to reaching that potential. 

As much as we want to pretend... there is nobody on this team with allstar potential.  No, not even Bradley and SUlly.  At most they will be big time starters.  Bradley is no more likely to become an allstar than Gerald Green was.. one of the players we included with Big Al to land KG.  There's no Big Al on this team to land a star.

Also... KG was 32 years old after having come into the league at age 19... Despite being a vastly superior talent to Cousins, his age was a considerable factor.

Yeah but that works both ways.  We gave up more, but we also got far more in return.

Al Jefferson was a potential future All-Star, but Kevin Garnett was a superstar - a top 5 player in the league.  We gave up a young guy with potential to one day be an all star, and in return for that we got back an MVP, a multi-year All-Star, an olympic gold medalist, one of the best defensive players in the league, and a guy coming off a 24 point / 14 rebound / 6 assists season.  Kevin Garnett was putting up Lebron-esque numbers the 2 or 3 seasons prior to us getting him, and Al Jefferson wasn't even CLOSE to being even a breadcrumb of the player Garnett was at the time.

Another thing to consider is that Garnett was not a head-case at the time.  He was the leader of his team both with his emotion and with his play, he was loyal and he was the ultimate teammate. Also his team was a playoff team for several straight seasons.

In this case we are trying to get a guy who is similar to Al Jefferson (a potential future All-Star) only the guy we are trying to get has a bad reputation for being a head case and for being detrimental to his team - a team that has been lottery for the past 3 or 4 seasons.  We plan to offer several solid role players who have good attitudes, who are fairly young, and who would be positive role models on this young team.   

I think the idea of us trading for Cousins is nowhere near as far fetched as the idea of us trading for KG 4 seasons ago.

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 09:13:18 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

In 2008:

The list goes on...

In 2008 there was still a relative abundance of guys who played 'old school' tough - see Posey and PJ Brown.  Now days most players are pampered, and these guys are few and far between.

In 2008 we still had a few legit bigs out there (i.e. Shaq) who actually played like bigs.

These days the NBA is a very different game, and the things that used to work back then may not be so successful now...or they may be simply not possible.  Sometimes you need to try unorthodox approaches to get an advantage, and you certainly need to take a few risks.

Perfect example - take a look at our team right now.  Danny and Doc specifically wanted to bring aboard low risk players.  Guys who had positive attitudes and would not upset the status quo, so they signed Collins, Lee, Terry, Green, Bass, Barbosa.  Where has that gotten us?  That group of guys has been inconsistent not only with their play, but also with their effort.

Sometimes you NEED a little personality.  Sometimes guys are head cases because they show too much emotion, and sometimes that emotion is what gives them their competitive fire.  The first image that comes to mind is the shot of Nate Robinson jumping on a hypo, slobbering Big Baby.  Right now there's little I wouldn't give as a Celtic fan to see a little of that passion. 

The only guy Danny brought in who was a gamble was Darko, and now he's gone...and is probably the one guy we could really use.

Ironically past Boston teams have always had guys who are heavy with emotion.  Nate Robinson, Big Baby, Mikael Pietrus, Keeyon Dooling, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo, James Posey, Shaq, Delonte, RAsheed, etc. 

Right now the four guys who show constant heart/emotion (KG, Rondo, Pierce, Sullinger) are pretty much the only guys earning their pay.

Not only will I accept a head case, but I WANT a head case. I think we NEED a head case.  Right now everyone on this team is so indifferent - were down by 20 and they all just look at each other with that blank look - nobody seems to actually CARE about games. 

I'd be thrilled to have an emotional guy or two on this team who does show a little emotion.  I want somebody like Dooling who will abuse the guys when they come out with zero effort.  Someone like Rondo who will stand up for teammates when another team tries to punk them.  Someone like Pierce who will come out at the age of 35 and explode for 40 points, single handedly willing us to victory.

I think it's good to have calm guys like Green, Terry and Bass on the team - it brings calm and stability.  But you also need to combine that wtih an equal mix of guys that thive off their emotion.  This way the emotional guys will inspire the quiet guys when they aren't playing their hardest, and the quiet guys will calm the emotional guys when they go a little too far.

Right now I wouldn't mind a Demarcus Cousins, a Latrell Sprewell, a Delonte West or a Stephon Marbury.  Hell I wouldn't mind a couple of them!
I see your point, but DMC is a really bad example.  There is a difference between playing with heart, with a chip o your shoulder, and being a head case.  I really don't think this team should consider DMC.

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33

In 2008:

The list goes on...

Testify! TP